Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 08:25 PM

63 posts, read 87,419 times
The OP asked for good pizza and said he was from Chicago. I'm just telling him he's not going to find it in Colorado. No complaining at all on my part, you seem to be the one missing the point and making something out of nothing, did you not read my last sentence? I agree, again, the OP should seek out the good things about Colorado and it's not pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 08:59 PM

236 posts, read 195,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Stop it, you're making me cry.... we had Shakey's back in Fairfax, Va, 45 years ago, it was so good, so good, so good. Honky tonk piano man hammering away ... beer by the pitcher ... 2nd date with my wife she took me there ... mostly gone now ... except for CA and WA locations. What a loss. I recall the signs in the place ... Shakey's has a deal with the bank, the bank don't make pizza and Shakey's don't take checks .... thin crust for me ... not all goopy ...
Lol.....I grew up with Shakeys in So Calif and it was a wonderful family tradition and such a fun vibe overall. I miss places like it..

Old 06-20-2020, 09:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
You are both welcome to your wrong opinions.
No such thing as a wrong opinion.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that people tend to have really strong opinions on pizza that seem to be very linked to what kind(s) of pizza you grew up eating. Personally I love BeauJos because I grew up eating it. I think we should embrace the fact that America has regional food cultures rather than bitching and moaning about Chicago vs New York pizza or how you can't get a true New York slice in LA. Of course you can't, your hometown specialty is special if you want it you best go visit! And if you are going to be in a place you should atleast try to aquire the taste.

So yeah, I will be out here defending my state's weird ass pizza against Chicogoans and our Pork Green Chili agains New Mexicans every time.
BeauJo’s is not some kind of state pizza. Being your favorite doesn’t change that or how awful it tastes to many people, locals and otherwise. It just suits YOUR taste.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It's astounding the degree to which you missed my point. If I'm in Chicago I will get a Chicago style pizza. We should be encouraging out of staters to try uniquely Colorado things when they come to our state not complaining that we cant perfectly recreate some other places special dish. I ain't ordering cheese burgers in france, even if I don't prefer escargot.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of our state's culinary culture.
We should not recommend bad restaurantsto anyone.

Do you have a vested interest in BeauJo’s?

Old 06-21-2020, 07:53 AM

236 posts, read 195,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikenbike View Post
The OP asked for good pizza and said he was from Chicago. I'm just telling him he's not going to find it in Colorado. No complaining at all on my part, you seem to be the one missing the point and making something out of nothing, did you not read my last sentence? I agree, again, the OP should seek out the good things about Colorado and it's not pizza.
well having gone skiing in Colorado and eaten at Beau Jos, I have to say the place is highly overrated. I think that it mostly comes down to it being more of a long running tradition to ski or snowboard, then go to Beau Jos after. The actual pizza imo is very doughy and not my preference. Its crowded and often hectic.

its maybe like when you go to a local candy shop in a new place you have never visited, and everybody says its the best candy around ...except when you try it, its not the greatest and you explain that you grew up eating Sees Candy....lol

Old 06-21-2020, 08:18 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,697,068 times
Beau Jo’s isn’t Colorado cuisine, it an old restaurant chain’s interpretation of a pizza.
I have never seen the fat, served with honey, pizzas anywhere else on a menu in Colorado. That would be evidence that it was food associated with Colorado.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:03 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We should not recommend bad restaurantsto anyone.

Do you have a vested interest in BeauJo’s?
Does that include Casa Bonita? I honestly wouldn't feed my dogs the crap that they serve there.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Good, like beautiful, can be very subjective. I'm sure even within the range of Chicago and New York styles there are good and bad variants. None of us can know exactly what the OP wants until they are here, sample what we have, and report back on their opinion.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Does that include Casa Bonita? I honestly wouldn't feed my dogs the crap that they serve there.
Ha ha, in all my time I have not heard anything about Casa Bonita other than the following:

1. Do NOT eat there. The food is horrible, worse than the worst fast food Mexican chains—with one exception.

2. The one exception is the sopapillas.

3. The kiddie atmosphere makes it torture for adults, with one exception.

4. The one exception is if you are a drunk parent guzzling drinks to try to numb the experience of horrible food in a horrible atmosphere. The high divers cannot make up for the nightmarish experience.

Caveat: Based on the fact that 100% of coworkers and friends strongly recommended staying the heck away from Casa Vomita, I have never eaten there.

PS
At least one other person said their food was worse than dog food. I wonder if anyone has tried giving it to their dog?

PPS
Let’s bid a grateful farewell to another old overrated warhorse that finally croaked: White Fence Farm. I did eat there, exactly once. Long wait for...lukewarm greasy overbreaded tasteless poultry pieces with the dullest of dull sides. Buying from the supermarket delis or KFC would’ve been way better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver