Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
^^^ I hear what you guys are saying regarding the market. However, our apartment rent kept going up. This last time was going to be going up by $300 a month due to a remodel of the apartment. We rented for 5 years and spent 100k on rent. All we got back was a pet deposit for $400.

We pulled the trigger on buying a house in January. It just made sense for us
Rent going up in Covid times? The nerve I swear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 01:53 PM

32 posts, read 37,158 times
I have a coworker who just got her renewal lease offer and her rent went down - 80123 ZIP Code

Second, my hunch is that suburban real estate will perform better than it did in comparison to urban real estate this time around due to how COVID has impacted social perception of being/living in dense areas.

We are attempting to buy in Highlands Ranch, and anything under 550k that is priced accurately is still getting eaten up in a day or 2.

I do feel confident that even a well-located 3rd ring suburb like HR will see a better increase in value than both exurban and urban areas as we continue to see Castle Rock and Parker build out, on top of all of the exurb developments --the amount of houses being built off of Titan road may impact desirability of Castle Rock if traffic on Santa Fe continues to worsen, which it will.

But the market prediction is just speculatory and I will be interested to see what happens in 5 years.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:16 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Rent going up in Covid times? The nerve I swear.
Whole complex getting remodeled. No choice so either pay or bye!

Old 07-08-2020, 05:00 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Whole complex getting remodeled. No choice so either pay or bye!
I sympathize. Finally buying a house. I can't even think of all of the money I've spent on rent over the years.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The Cherry Creek Chronicle is always very anti-development. While this doesn’t meant that it isn’t worth reading, you do need to understand that it’s not surprising to see them write an article celebrating the demise of developers.

As the article points out, Denver was building a ton of apartments leading up to this, but that was because we were far under stocked. Yes, rents should fall. All that said, if I have learned anything from past economic crisis, its that I would much rather own well located real estate than suburban real estate.

The author makes a claim that Denver is the 3rd most vulnerable city in the country, behind Detroit, but then provides no source or data. I think he is talking in terms of government tax receipts, but he isn’t specific. It would sure be nice if he backed up his claim with something. I’m not ready to take a statement like that as fact without some, you know, evidence.

I’m not a Pollyanna about any of this. There is real risk everywhere I look. I just don’t buy the idea that the suburbs are safe haven and that cities will be impacted more. Cities are the engine. If they suffer, everything suffers.
Ok, I haven't read a lot of their stuff, so I didn't know there initial bias. It's kinda strange because CCN and Glendale is all recent development, but maybe it's I'm here, now everybody else go somewhere else.

Normally I'd agree with you that closer to the traditional economic engine is safer, but COVID is just weird. You've got the 2 factors: shut downs questioning the viability of people dense activities and also a big work from home push, which is appearing to be more permanent than a temporary adjustment. Both of those favor the outer burbs with better pricing and more space over the inner city. Given Denver has a pretty significant price differential between the central city/county at $370 / sqft vs the metro rate of $260 / sqft (per Zillow), to me it just seems hard to imagine the central city could keep rising in prices through the next couple years when the rest of the metro would cater more to retirees and work from homers, the people that would be incoming most likely.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Has prices for SFH been trending downward since the pandemic? One would think that the mass eviction some are predicting would depress prices.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:52 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Has prices for SFH been trending downward since the pandemic? One would think that the mass eviction some are predicting would depress prices.
No. No one is being evicted currently.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
IMVHO, this is a bogus argument for both renting and buying because it's not a localized or fractional problem.

Mass eviction of nonpaying renters and owners will not produce a bumper crop of qualifying replacements; it will just produce huge pressure on cheaper rentals, a vast number of semi/homeless, and eventually a depressed market for both rentals and sales that will benefit no one.

Except the crowd that snapped up "investment rental" bargains in 2009, and may they choke on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver