Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,616,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbaune09 View Post
Hey all, looking at buying a home in the Westminster/Thornton area as I just love it there, but did come across someone mentioning the contamination from the Rocky Flats Plant back in the day. After reading up on it, I feel better about it as it seems very minimal but I need to due my due diligence as I do have some health issues that may make me more susceptible to cancers and such.

Any info about how this does/does not currently affect these areas would be greatly appreciated!
I recommend reading the book, “Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats” by Kristen Iverson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 12:12 PM

371 posts, read 351,842 times
Default I recommend it too...

Unfortunately, I came across this book at a Jeffco library, where it was being taken out of circulation and sold. It was less than five years old, and in perfect condition. Somebody in library admin (or higher up) had decided that it wasn't of value...

Old 08-06-2020, 12:22 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Unfortunately, I came across this book at a Jeffco library, where it was being taken out of circulation and sold. It was less than five years old, and in perfect condition. Somebody in library admin (or higher up) had decided that it wasn't of value...
Yes, the library patrons.

Books that aren't checked out are chucked out.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,106,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I recommend reading the book, “Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats” by Kristen Iverson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Not to worry, the book is available as an eBook at the Jefferson County Library:

Full Body Burden by Kristen Iversen ebook

Old 08-22-2020, 08:30 PM

371 posts, read 351,842 times
Default That's the wrong attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Yes, the library patrons.

Books that aren't checked out are chucked out.
This isn't Barnes & Noble, stocking the shelves with bestsellers to maximize their numbers. As is the county's own public library, they need to develop and maintain a good stock of books relating to local history and places. No other library has any reason to do that, and they won't. In a growing region like this, local history offers a way for residents to explore and understand their homes. Jeffco Libraries used to understand this, but they've gone off in another direction: cookbooks, self-help, graphic novels, disposable content that's freely available on the net.

Books in the reference section don't circulate, but they shouldn't be thrown away, either.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 8,841 times
Default Health-conscious residents of Boulder… what’s your take on Rocky Flats?

Something to be concerned about? I just learned about it and can’t get a good picture with all the propaganda out there.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:27 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphapa View Post
Something to be concerned about? I just learned about it and can’t get a good picture with all the propaganda out there.
Hello. I've merged your new post with our long-running thread on this topic which has good info from our local residents in the area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:11 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,895,135 times
I have no opinion,moved to Denver in August '71 and retired and left in1988.There always has been a controversy about Rocky Flatt's,we lost our 30 year old completely healthy with no bad habits to a brain tumor,also our realtor and also a male party at my wife's work.
This was in 1989.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,615 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have no opinion,moved to Denver in August '71 and retired and left in1988.There always has been a controversy about Rocky Flatt's,we lost our 30 year old completely healthy with no bad habits to a brain tumor,also our realtor and also a male party at my wife's work.
This was in 1989.
Colorado (and NM) has naturally occuring high concentrations of Uranium in soils. Higher UV exposure is another Colorado risk. Statistically, Cancer is not abnormal high because many places have equally high risks due to water / pollution / industrial contamination / foods / diet / activity level.

My country school in Colorado has lost over 50% of my classmates from all kinds of catastrophies and causes. Mostly cancer, from age 11 to current (pre-age 65). By High School graduation I had lost 5 of 22 classmates.

Rocky Flats has been decommissioned for many yrs (since 1989). All my friends who worked there are still alive and none have had cancer or known health related problems from exposure in that job. https://www.westword.com/news/rocky-...topic-11437949

On the other hand... Colorado farmers (working 16 hrs / day in a dust cloud and with chemicals) have not fared so well.

I grew up farming in Colorado, under power lines, and spent 30+ yrs working in a hazardous chemical night shift environment to afford to farm, and driving diesel tractors, cars, trucks for over 50 yrs. I'm toast (but no health problems yet, maybe by this time tomorrow.)

Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 AM

13 posts, read 8,841 times
Has there been any records of the contamination making it's way to Boulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver