Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times

Advertisements

Well, the Pueblo Chile Festival is on for this year, kind of....

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/new...8f4ff7da3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 05:28 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherer View Post
Sad indeed! :
I just read that in NM chile vendors may be selling direct to the public because a big chile festival in Santa Fe has been cancelled for the first time in its history. Try contacting C of C in northern NM to get more info. Their quarantine is still on, but do you have family in the area who could buy a bag for you and meet them at the border or in SW CO?

Old 08-09-2020, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,458 times
I found a solution with some NM friends who will be coming up to southern Colorado! Happy!

Old 08-11-2020, 09:25 PM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I think the defining food of Den-Mex is green chile. Everything and anything on all kinds of menus is offered "smothered in green".

That "green" is what's called green chile here, a stew-like preparation most often made with pork, and most frequently, Hatch Chiles, though many use green chiles from Pueblo or from the area around Brighton. (And sure there are vegetarian versions around, but that's mostly because it's an easy way to accommodate vegetarians.) There are varied additions like onions and tomatoes and garlic in recipes, but never tomatillos.
I was taught to make it with a roasted tomatillo or two. :/ Never onions. Never red tomatoes. Maybe garlic.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I was taught to make it with a roasted tomatillo or two. :/ Never onions. Never red tomatoes. Maybe garlic.
Always good to hear another variation.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Always good to hear another variation.
Yes! I've seen a few different minor changes in what I would still consider green chilli. Shredded vs. cubed, tomato base, lard, more habaneros, etc.

Sometimes at restraunts they serve a more watery sauce with chunks of meat...reminds me of what DPS used to serve as, "smothered burritos." That's The only type that I really don't like.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 46,361 times
I was introduced to it when moving to southern NM in 1990. Now am a connoisseur. Found some good green chile on a trip to CA. It was Anaheim Chile - milder, but still good. Just go to google maps to your area of choice and search for green chile. In Burbank I found: "The Green Chile", 2050 W Whittier Blvd, La Habra, CA.

Best I've found anywhere: The "Green Chile Plate" at Nellies Café, 1226 W Hadley Ave, Las Cruces, NM 88005.
If you're ever in the neighborhood.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 46,361 times
Just depends where you go. Lots of variability, restaurant to restaurant in any given town in NM. If you order the "Green Chile Plate" at Nellies Cafe in Las Cruces NM you get an awesome, pretty spicy, green and pork stew. Never found one better anywhere.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:43 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
I crave the high quality 505 brand for everything. There are always at least a few jars on my kitchen shelf. By far the best, great flavor, unless you buy your own chiles, roast them, etc. Most of their chiles and salsas comes in mild, medium, and hot. The mild is more like medium in most other brands, medium is more hot than most. 505 hot is very hot, IMO. Only down side to canned and jarred is high sodium. I try to eat enough potassium to offset the sodium, and I think it works. Grocery stores can't seem to keep 505 brand in stock.

Some days I'll visit a few grocery stories...like King Soopers, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers....to see which 505 products they have in stock. Some days I hit the jackpot with the 505 brand. Then I stock up. My biggest purchase is always the plain green chiles. In my 'fridge right now is a 505 Southwestern (brand) 40 oz jar of Medium Flame Roasted Green Chile. I think this jar came from King Soopers at Wadsworth and Alameda. That's important to know, because some stores carry very little 505 brand. I dump green chiles into everything because I love 'em.

Since I'm a low carb person by necessity, I won't share too much about that because people love their Mexican food for the fresh tortillas and baskets of chips. I have adjusted to eating low carb Mexican food that can be just as flavorful, using all the good Mexican seasonings. I do use more veggies, as with calabacitas made with pork and veggies. I add plenty of olive oil, butter, avocado, etc. Just no gluten. The sky's the limit, I've found, when modifying ways of eating and recipes. We don't need to be deprived of our beloved Mexican food. Cheerio!

Last edited by 'M'; 10-18-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 03:52 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
MikeFromBackEast .... try lightly steaming the corn tortillas before rolling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver