Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campn87 View Post
Hey everyone!

I was on here few months ago and Covid got in the way of moving but we are finally ready.

My husband will be working at LM by Roxborough park and we’ll be going soon to look at neighborhoods and I want suggestions!

Littleton would definitely be our first choice, but what other areas should we check? Castle Rock seems really affordable but a little out of the way (my husband is okay with any commute if it’s 30 minutes or less)

What about Parker, Castle Pines, Aurora (although I’ve heard mixed review on that one)

Any other neighborhood we should ask the realtor to show us? Our budget is $650,000 and we’d like a newer house. We have two young kids so we really need good schools and other young families around.

Thank you to every single person who has been helping us know what to expect. You’re greatly appreciated.
Congrats on the impending move.

Ignore the people who bag on Aurora. A majority of them have likely never lived here and/or have only spent time in the northwestern corner of the city, and they're just parroting racially-tinged tropes told to them by other people who've never lived here. I've lived here for almost 9 years and I've never been mugged, shot, had my car stolen or my house broken into, nor have I had to chase hookers or drug dealers from my neighborhood. With that being said, most of Aurora isn't convenient to Lockheed Martin, anyway. You could possibly commute from Southeast Aurora (Smoky Hill or Gartrell and E-470) to LM in 30 mins on a good day, but it could easily be 90 mins or longer on snowy ones.

Parker is similar to Southeast Aurora. It's closer to LM, but the egress in and out of Parker is terrible.

Castle Pines is expensive. If you can afford it, it's not a bad option.

Castle Rock is just meh. It's lost a lot of its charm over the last 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 PM

56 posts, read 62,311 times
Thank you everyone! I think we’ll focus on Littleton, I heard good things about sterling ranch. I thought highlands ranch was super expensive unless we buy a house built in the 80s or the 90s which we just don’t want to do since our last two houses were older and we are tired of that.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Yes, he said Highlands Ranch, which is a huge, spread out area with lots of different housing choices, open space, and recreational opportunities. You said Highlands, which is an area in Denver proper near downtown with older homes and small lots. Big difference between the two.
We were both talking about Highlands ranch! I think I need reading glasses.

We have very little interest in Denver other than the odd football or hockey game or museums. We’ve done the Chicago city life and we are so done with that part of our lives.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,594,779 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone! I think we’ll focus on Littleton, I heard good things about sterling ranch. I thought highlands ranch was super expensive unless we buy a house built in the 80s or the 90s which we just don’t want to do since our last two houses were older and we are tired of that.
House prices across the south metro area are similar. They all are expensive. Highlands Ranch has four rec centers that are included in your HOA payment. So pools, tennis courts, cardio, weights, ball courts are all yours.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
House prices across the south metro area are similar. They all are expensive. Highlands Ranch has four rec centers that are included in your HOA payment. So pools, tennis courts, cardio, weights, ball courts are all yours.
Oh that sounds fun! I’m sure we’d enjoy that. We will definitely include it in our search.

What about Sterling Ranch? I haven’t found many threads talking about it so I was wondering if it’s any good. It would be 5 minutes from work.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:22 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,594,779 times
Quote:
Oh that sounds fun! I’m sure we’d enjoy that. We will definitely include it in our search.

What about Sterling Ranch? I haven’t found many threads talking about it so I was wondering if it’s any good. It would be 5 minutes from work.
It will be in build out for years. The houses are new, they are trying to include amenities in the neighborhood, but you are cut-off. Titan Rd, in/out. No walkable retail.

I know someone who lives in Roxborough and they said drive times are problematic and snow days are “fun.”

Old 08-05-2020, 10:39 PM

11,813 posts, read 34,270,988 times
South Jefferson County. Sterling Ranch is new. Roxborough has newer houses.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
Sterling Ranch is in Douglas County.

Didn't they have problems getting the development started because of issues with not enough water? Does anyone know if they have water restrictions or other sustainability issues? OP, you might look into their CAB (Community Authority Board) assessments that pay for water and other utilities.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:18 AM

824 posts, read 695,639 times
there is a lite rail running along SantaFe Drive. You might want to consider locating next to a lite rail station. Be aware of areas with expansive soils if your planning to buy. Inside Turkey Creek Canyon could give you mountain living?

Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM

658 posts, read 1,886,481 times
all of Ken Caryl (Valley Heirloom/Ken Caryl Ranch) would work. Plus, your commute would be cake. Depending on what you are after, but up Deer Creek Rd (Maxwell Hill, Sampson Rd) is all nice - even up High Grade Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver