U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM

3,959 posts, read 3,799,033 times

Advertisements

How’s it going? Me, my Wife and 3 year old are visiting Denver next week and this will be our first time in the Mile High. I’ve watched endless amounts of YouTube videos, read articles and referenced Yelp to get to know the city before we decide to head on the road. With all that said, I still like to hear extra information from CD. So here’s a few questions I have.

1. For hotels should we stay Downtown near the convention center or Cherry Creek? If the convention center area how is that part of downtown? Walking distance from popular spots in DT? If Cherry Creek, how does this area compare to downtown as far as dining options?

2. What’s the best park in the city to have a picnic in?

3. Are there any bike rental shops that are adjacent to trails?

4. Some must try food establishments in Denver?

5. Boulder or Colorado Springs for a day trip?

6. Which CBD shop is the best in the city?

7. Is the International Church of Cannabis worth going?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 10:15 AM

3,232 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Isn't there a weed tourism bureau?

Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM

17,042 posts, read 26,727,899 times
1. Cherry Creek
2. Wash Park
3. Yelp is your friend. Call before making a journey.
4. Some restaurants are closed. Many do only pickup/delivery. Lots of dine-in restrictions. Call the restaurant before visiting. Yelp is your friend.
5. Boulder. Drive to Nederland and then to Black Hawk/Central City. More interesting drive than down crowded boring I-25 to Colorado Springs.
6. Who cares?
7. Who cares?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:02 AM

1,115 posts, read 918,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Cherry Creek
2. Wash Park
3. Yelp is your friend. Call before making a journey.
4. Some restaurants are closed. Many do only pickup/delivery. Lots of dine-in restrictions. Call the restaurant before visiting. Yelp is your friend.
5. Boulder. Drive to Nederland and then to Black Hawk/Central City. More interesting drive than down crowded boring I-25 to Colorado Springs.
6. Who cares?
7. Who cares?
6&7 remind me of a bumper sticker I have seen a few times, similar to the Native stickers that look like license plates:

"You came to Colorado and got high- now go home".

Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,459,493 times
I just went on a similar trip earlier this year pre-covid. I'll let locals chime in with more details.
We stayed downtown in the Maven which is right on the Dairy Block. Lots of dining options there. You're also within walking distance to Union Station, Confluence Park and 16th St Mall where you can catch a shuttle to the convention center. My impression of Cherry Creek is that it's a more car based location but still close to dining and other things.

As for food the only place that really stood out is Biker Jim's. Their exotic meat hot dogs are delicious and I think young kids would like them. Buckhorn Exchange is probably the most famous restaurant that serve exotic regional specialty but we didn't go. Your three year old would probably love Casa Bonita but I hear they're closed because of Covid.

Washington Park is popular with the locals for picnic so maybe try that. I didn't think it was that pretty but that was back in February. City Park is next to the Museum of Nature and Science which I find excellent. The Botanical Garden is also a must see in my opinion, especially if you have young kids.

We didn't go to COS but did visit Boulder. COS is further but probably has better scenery. Boulder is close and the Pearl Street Mall is a good place to kill an afternoon, but I don't think it's worth an entire day.

Not sure why you want to go to a CBD shop in Denver. You can get those in Texas. Can't help you with the THC stuff though.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 AM

24,008 posts, read 26,799,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I just went on a similar trip earlier this year pre-covid. I'll let locals chime in with more details.
We stayed downtown in the Maven which is right on the Dairy Block. Lots of dining options there. You're also within walking distance to Union Station, Confluence Park and 16th St Mall where you can catch a shuttle to the convention center. My impression of Cherry Creek is that it's a more car based location but still close to dining and other things.

As for food the only place that really stood out is Biker Jim's. Their exotic meat hot dogs are delicious and I think young kids would like them. Buckhorn Exchange is probably the most famous restaurant that serve exotic regional specialty but we didn't go. Your three year old would probably love Casa Bonita but I hear they're closed because of Covid.

Washington Park is popular with the locals for picnic so maybe try that. I didn't think it was that pretty but that was back in February. City Park is next to the Museum of Nature and Science which I find excellent. The Botanical Garden is also a must see in my opinion, especially if you have young kids.

We didn't go to COS but did visit Boulder. COS is further but probably has better scenery. Boulder is close and the Pearl Street Mall is a good place to kill an afternoon, but I don't think it's worth an entire day.

Not sure why you want to go to a CBD shop in Denver. You can get those in Texas. Can't help you with the THC stuff though.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,459,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I mean Garden of the Gods and Pike's.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:34 PM

5,483 posts, read 11,604,484 times
Just a warning — there are major forest fires raging in the state right now, and the air quality in Denver is horrid. There is an ozone alert in the city today. If you don’t mind breathing bad air and having very limited visibility, then don’t cancel your trip. Personally, between the fires and COVID, this is not a good time to come to Colorado.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:53 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,852,345 times
1. Stay downtown. Cherry Creek is a shopping district. Far more to see and do in the city.
2. If staying downtown I would suggest Confluence Park. It’s the historic birthplace of Denver, has a fun to watch whitewater course on the Platte and you can get food from nearby restaurants to eat by the river.
3. Confluence Kayaks rents bikes.
4. Places I like are the Mercantile, Tavernetta, Linger.
5. Neither, they are going to just seem like extensions of the metro area. Do something completely different. I would head up to Evergreen, drive up Squaw Pass to Echo Lake and to the top of Mt Evans. It’s an alpine experience you’ll never forget. Then on the way down have a late lunch at Creekside Cellars in Evergreen. Fun little, local winery/cafe right on bear creek.
6. No clue
7. No clue

MOD EDIT: Note that the road up to the peak of Mt. Evan is closed to auto traffic in 2020 due to the CoronaVirus but bicyclists and hikers are still allowed.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-14-2020 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 01:59 PM

1,154 posts, read 299,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Just a warning — there are major forest fires raging in the state right now, and the air quality in Denver is horrid. There is an ozone alert in the city today. If you don’t mind breathing bad air and having very limited visibility, then don’t cancel your trip. Personally, between the fires and COVID, this is not a good time to come to Colorado.
Agreed. I can’t even stand to be outside right now because of the air quality. We’ve closed up the house and are running the fan continually to try and keep ahead of the smoke. Please note that we don’t live anywhere near the actual fires. The smoke is just everywhere. Eldest inadvisedly went for a short run last night and came back sounding like she was hacking up a lung. Between the pandemic and the fires, I think you would be wise to delay your trip, OP. We’ll still be here when conditions improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver