U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 AM

21 posts, read 10,863 times

Advertisements

$1.5 MM

Husband works remotely. I’m looking for a job with flexibility to WFH as well.

Anyone have any intel on clear creek HS?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 PM

11,485 posts, read 31,102,828 times
What about the Broadmoor area in Colorado Springs?

Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,283,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
$1.5 MM

Husband works remotely. I’m looking for a job with flexibility to WFH as well.

Anyone have any intel on clear creek HS?
You might want to look at Loveland and Berthoud. They're between Boulder and Ft Collins, and there is acreage outside of town.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Just spent the weekend there exploring the evergreen area. We liked conifer and clear creek high schools. Evergreen high school feels very much like our high school in IL and no one in the family liked the vibe there.

In terms of housing, we liked what conifer has to offer better. We want privacy and ideally a log cabin so conifer seems to have more of that to offer.

What is it like to live in conifer or near clear creek high school?

Anyone have kids at clear creek? We know it’s small. Does that present a problem to kids attending there or its it a plus because there are no cliques to speak of? We are looking for a more laid back school vibe as we are trying to leave the hyper competitive school district we are in. Our kids also do sports and I’d like them to be able to play in HS as well. Not sure how competitive conifer is in that regard.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:30 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,953,108 times
Stratton Preserve or University Park in Colo Spgs. These won’t be acreage but will be larger premium home sites in the $600-1mm+ range. Stratton Preserve will views of the city and plains became of its elevated position on the foothills. University Park will views of Pikes Peak and the Front Range due to it location in a bluff in Central Colo Sprgs. School for Stratton Preserve would be Cheyenne Mtn D12, a top 10 district in the state with high performance academics and sports and around 1200 students . School for Stratton Preserve could be Coronado or Doherty @ in D11which both offer honors and Advanced Placement classes in conjunction with CU. Both are around 1200 students as well.

Colo Sprgs military bases have created rock solid telecommunications networks worthy of national defense so they are more than adequate for nearly any home based business in up-time. Home to the National Center on Cyber Security, we tend to have the latest technology driving our connectivity.

Last edited by TCHP; 11-24-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 AM

232 posts, read 265,084 times
Conifer & Evergreen are both better schools that Clear Creek. Check the US News rankings.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,676,160 times
I know this thread has been solely school focused, but I’m hoping you’ve done your homework with regards to foothill/mountain living. Are you ready for the threat of wildfires in the summer and big snows in the winter? I’m not trying to scare you off, but want to make sure you know that there are some negatives.

As far as schools, Conifer is a bigger school and has more resources than Clear Creek. I’m curious what the vibe was at Evergreen that you found so off putting?

Old 11-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Yes we know clear creek doesn’t have ratings that are quite as high. Evergreen seemed more competitive and cliquey. Facilities also seem outdated. We’re looking for a school where our kids can feel secure and welcome as it’s a primary driver for our move. We’re not concerned about ratings as much as if we were we’d stay in IL. At this point, I’d appreciate specific feedback about the two schools if anyone has kids there.

We’re aware of the fire/huge snowfall issues as we have a cabin in the Northwoods of Wisconsin that gets pounded by snow and is surrounded by state forests. Actually, our house in IL is also on septic and well and there are no fire hydrants as everyone is on 5 acres or more so we also have the fire issue there to a lesser extent. I feel like we have a fairly good idea of what we’re getting into.

Last edited by Winterraven; 11-25-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 11-25-2019, 11:10 AM

7,427 posts, read 4,328,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
Yes we know clear creek doesn’t have ratings that are quite as high. Evergreen seemed more competitive and cliquey. Facilities also seem outdated. We’re looking for a school where our kids can feel secure and welcome as it’s a primary driver for our move. We’re not concerned about ratings as much as if we were we’d stay in IL. At this point, I’d appreciate specific feedback about the two schools if anyone has kids there.

We’re aware of the fire/huge snowfall issues as we have a cabin in the Northwoods of Wisconsin that gets pounded by snow and is surrounded by state forests. Actually, our house in IL is also on septic and well and there are no fire hydrants as everyone is on 5 acres or more so we also have the fire issue there to a lesser extent. I feel like we have a fairly good idea of what we’re getting into.
You know about cold temperatures and snowfall in the flatter midwest. That doesn’t mean you get it about winter in Conifer, where there is barely a flat road to be found, and where snowfall often is between two to three times what Denver and its close-in burbs get.

You don’t know how severe CO drought can be, which means that fires are extremely hazardous due to ubiquitous dried vegetation. Think “southern California wildfires” to get a better idea of the extent and severity of fire hazard.

The foothills area I used to live in (similar to Conifer) had NO fire hydrants anywhere for miles, and the terrain made firefighting a nightmare. Look up North Fork South Platte fire and Kuester Ridge, for just one example of the obstacles to firefighting.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,676,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You know about cold temperatures and snowfall in the flatter midwest. That doesn’t mean you get it about winter in Conifer, where there is barely a flat road to be found, and where snowfall often is between two to three times what Denver and its close-in burbs get.

You don’t know how severe CO drought can be, which means that fires are extremely hazardous due to ubiquitous dried vegetation. Think “southern California wildfires” to get a better idea of the extent and severity of fire hazard.

The foothills area I used to live in (similar to Conifer) had NO fire hydrants anywhere for miles, and the terrain made firefighting a nightmare. Look up North Fork South Platte fire and Kuester Ridge, for just one example of the obstacles to firefighting.
I agree, she’s got snow and cold covered. Fires on the other hand.....My in-laws live by Conifer. They keep a box of irreplaceables packed and ready to go at a moments notice all summer long.

Lots of people love living there, but it’s something worth considering when moving from a place that gets plenty of water like Wisconsin. Go in with eyes open. It’s not remotely similar to Wisconsin in terms of drought and fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver