U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 08:56 AM

23,309 posts, read 14,571,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This was my feeling while living in Denver as well. King Soopers was far and away the worst chain I ever shopped at anywhere I lived. Ultimately, after about a year, I stopped shopping at my local KS (Off Quebec in Stapleton/Central Park), and split my time between Sprouts on Colfax and the Super Target on Northfield (to get brand name non perishables). Never thought I would be one of those people who went to two different stores, but KS drove me to it. Now that I can shop at a large and very well managed HEB again, I only make the one trip. I think management has a lot to do with chain and individual store quality, and that was probably my biggest complaint with my local KS.
after they opened Eastbridge, the Quebec Street KS got a lot better, because it wasn't so massively overwhelmed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,038,656 times
As I've noted in prior threads, King Soopers stores vary enormously. The one nearest me, and one just a little further away, are clean and pleasant and well-stocked and well lit, with decent staff.

But there are two not much further away that I'll never set foot in again. Difficult parking, dirty, smell bad, dim lighting, poor selection even before covid, pushy clientele and crappy staff. Hard to believe they're part of the same chain.

So unless you only shop at stores you can walk to, anyone who's had trouble with a KS should try others within their range.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:21 PM

6,073 posts, read 8,269,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I first had it on a lovely piece of avocado toast at a little coffee shop in Ouray. My son told me what it was and where to get it. We're all addicted to it now.
I really Tajin seasoning on Avocado toast. will have to look into the bagel seasoning thing.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:04 PM

4,832 posts, read 4,225,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
after they opened Eastbridge, the Quebec Street KS got a lot better, because it wasn't so massively overwhelmed
I do believe that and, of course, I did not have the benefit of living there when there was an Eastbridge store, so I'll concede that point. However, a lot of my issues with KS had to do with management and operations. My two biggest pet peeves with the store were the fact that they stock at busy times during the day (IMO, stocking should be done primarily overnight with a specific crew), and I often came across expired (or nearly expired) items. Those are management issues at the store level. And Theblig's comments below about the variability between stores in close proximity leads me to believe their district/regional management is not so great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
As I've noted in prior threads, King Soopers stores vary enormously.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-30-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 01:26 PM

15,696 posts, read 23,601,811 times
A little background.

When I moved here in 1980, the grocery market shares were:
38% King Soopers - locally owned. Store managers had a lot of authority. Lloyd King would not die until 1998.
25% Safeway - California controlled. Not responsive to customer desires.
15% Albertsons - whatever. Similar to Safeway, but with a better logo.
small% AGA - mostly in smaller towns.

No:
Whole Foods
Walmarts with food
Sprouts
TJ's

Colorado and Denver were just weird compared with other parts of country where a huge market share was 10%.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:26 PM

1,154 posts, read 219,208 times
Maybe I’ve just been fortunate, but I have no complaints about my local KS.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I do believe that and, of course, I did not have the benefit of living there when there was an Eastbridge store, so I'll concede that point. However, a lot of my issues with KS had to do with management and operations. My two biggest pet peeves with the store were the fact that they stock at busy times during the day (IMO, stocking should be done primarily overnight with a specific crew), and I often came across expired (or nearly expired) items. Those are management issues at the store level. And Theblig's comments below about the variability between stores in close proximity leads me to believe their district/regional management is not so great either.
I don't remember the exact details but someone I know who works for KS said that before the Eastbridge store opened, the Quebec St store had the highest volume per square foot (or something along those lines) of any KS in the state.

So I think that the reality was that they simply could not keep up and had to do things like restock during the day, because even with overnight stocking the shelves would be too empty at some point during regular shopping hours to wait until overnight.

Not saying that makes it any less frustrating to shop at, and I never went there myself either, although I did go to other KS locations.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,038,656 times
Quote:
So I think that the reality was that they simply could not keep up and had to do things like restock during the day, because even with overnight stocking the shelves would be too empty at some point during regular shopping hours to wait until overnight.
Well, not an issue, or at least was not before COVID. My KS frequently had shrink-wrapped pallets all over the store, blocking aisles and filling "turnaround" areas like that in front of dairy walls. It was a huge PITA and I fail to see why such major restocking couldn't be done at night.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Well, not an issue, or at least was not before COVID. My KS frequently had shrink-wrapped pallets all over the store, blocking aisles and filling "turnaround" areas like that in front of dairy walls. It was a huge PITA and I fail to see why such major restocking couldn't be done at night.
I'm not sure it will ever be a problem for me again - even before COVID, I did grocery pick up sometimes. Now I'm not sure I'll ever go back to going in person! Well, at least for larger scale shopping trips. I'm sure I'll run in from time to time to pick up a few items here and there. But I love showing up and having all my packages put into my car and heading on home. I would still go to Sprouts in person, since it's nicer to pick my own produce. But for a big KS order a couple of times a month? I could very easily see never doing that again myself.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:39 PM

1,154 posts, read 219,208 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it will ever be a problem for me again - even before COVID, I did grocery pick up sometimes. Now I'm not sure I'll ever go back to going in person! Well, at least for larger scale shopping trips. I'm sure I'll run in from time to time to pick up a few items here and there. But I love showing up and having all my packages put into my car and heading on home. I would still go to Sprouts in person, since it's nicer to pick my own produce. But for a big KS order a couple of times a month? I could very easily see never doing that again myself.
Ditto. I haven’t been inside a King Soopers since March, and I’ll probably continue using curbside pickup even after they reinstate the fee. I love cooking and gardening, but I hate grocery shopping. So much easier to just place an order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver