U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 PM

23,106 posts, read 42,280,927 times

Advertisements

For me the downside is the prep work, all the time it takes to slice and dice a bunch of veggies and herbs; the actual cooking isn't a biggie.

When we watch restaurant shows on TV we see the cooks are surrounded by rows of already sliced and diced items and they just add the stuff to a pan and away it goes.

I like some basic omelets so about once a month I'll finely dice half a red bell pepper and add small cans each of sliced black olives and diced jalapenos and keep it in a glass container. When it's time to cook I just spoon a heaping helping of the diced stuff into a bowl with eggs, grate some cheddar in, mix it up and pour it into the pan. When the bottom sets and it's still runny on top then I stick the pan under the broiler to finish the top and I end up with a decent omelet.

Safeway can help cut all that prep time, they sell many things pre-chopped; yellow onions, diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, bell peppers, stir fry veggies, fajita veggies, pico de gallo, zuccini and yellow squash and much more. I sometimes buy these if I'm making a large batch. We like to make a batch of something and eat on it for 3 days, like chili; cook once, eat 3 times.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-19-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:40 PM

373 posts, read 541,801 times
I've noticed that Natural Grocers is seldom mentioned in this thread; even when someone runs down a number of stores they do or don't shop at and why, Natural Grocers still isn't mentioned, although Sprouts almost always is and the two are quite similar. I'm wondering why that is, especially since Natural Grocers is a home grown treasure, with their headquarters in Lakewood, the town where the Isleys opened their first store.

True, they aren't the size of KS or Safeway, and aren't "full service" in that they don't have a full meat counter or deli or bakery. I believe the choice to not have these is one of the methods to keep prices much lower than Whole Paycheck, but have as much if not more all natural/organic/gluten free/etc variety in grocery items. And they do have some of the best produce, with the greatest variety I've seen in any grocery. I don't generally see champagne grapes or watermelon radishes or chioggia beets at King Sooper, but I've found all of them at Natural Grocers. Some only in season, sure, but even their year-round produce is always beautiful and fresh and the price point doesn't seem a whole lot higher than KS or Safeway.

Is there a reason that Natural Grocers doesn't seem to be on the radar for most folks?

Old 02-19-2021, 02:02 PM

2,277 posts, read 6,065,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Is there a reason that Natural Grocers doesn't seem to be on the radar for most folks?
Until (relatively) recently, they were called “Vitamin Cottage” - so maybe most people don’t realize it’s a grocery store?

Old 02-19-2021, 02:08 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,305,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Until (relatively) recently, they were called “Vitamin Cottage” - so maybe most people don’t realize it’s a grocery store?
I was just going to ask about this. I looked up Natural Grocers and a Vitamin Cottage near me came up. I've been there a couple of times but their produce section was pitiful and I only went back once or twice after that to get some GF items for an upcoming houseguest. If this is really a NG I have no reason to go back. Very heavy on health food and pills.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 6,065,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I was just going to ask about this. I looked up Natural Grocers and a Vitamin Cottage near me came up. I've been there a couple of times but their produce section was pitiful and I only went back once or twice after that to get some GF items for an upcoming houseguest. If this is really a NG I have no reason to go back. Very heavy on health food and pills.
Yeah. They generally have limited produce, meats, canned goods, and then a huge supplement and vitamin section. I’m not a huge fan myself, and to be brutally honest, I feel like every location I’ve ever I visited smells bad when you first walk in.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:14 PM

1,990 posts, read 3,327,749 times
I won't shop at Natural Grocers because I consider it a scam store, hawking all their unproven homeopathic crap. I suppose you could say the same for Sprouts, but Sprouts has much more "regular" food and just a few aisles of waste of money garbage supplements.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:44 PM

15,718 posts, read 23,641,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryk123 View Post
i won't shop at natural grocers because i consider it a scam store, hawking all their unproven homeopathic crap. I suppose you could say the same for sprouts, but sprouts has much more "regular" food and just a few aisles of waste of money garbage supplements.
+1

Old 02-19-2021, 04:54 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,305,827 times
I just visited the Natural Grocers in Aurora up by Hamden and Tower. Decided to take a drive instead of a walk since I didn't want to walk in the wind. This is a nicer store than the one in Parker, larger and newer looking, and the supplements seemed to be off in a different area. The produce was ok but not great. There were a few unusual kinds of mushrooms but few of the regular kind, only a handful of cremini and they were close to $6 a lb. None of the basic white mushrooms. The Ezekiel bread that I use, normally expensive anywhere, was $2 more per loaf than at King Soopers. I may go back again if I'm in the area just to take another look but this one is 20 mins away and I pass KS and Sprouts on the way. If it were the closest market to me, that would make a difference.

Last edited by Gorges; 02-19-2021 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM

23,329 posts, read 14,600,596 times
I've never shopped at Natural Grocers because there wasn't one that was close by enough to make it feel worth it. They are going to build one here in Central Park - ironically, just a block or two away from the Sprouts apparently.

I haven't even been inside the Sprouts yet since it opened (between COVID and a job with crazy hours) but I guess eventually I'll make it there and to check out Natural Grocers when it opens. But it would take a lot for me to add another store into my regular rotation and from some of the comments made so far, it's not sounding like Natural Grocers is going to give me enough reason to make that change.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:32 PM

96 posts, read 24,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post

Their produce section is like 10’Wx 15’L at the colorado Blvd and Buchtel blvd location. The rest of the store is just overpriced stuff with the word “organic” slapped on the label. I’m absolutely astonished that anyone at all shops there. They don’t even give you a bag, so if you forget your bag you are fubar. “IF one is available” they’ll give you a cardboard box but 4/5 times I’ve been there I’ve been denied a box and had to literally juggle my food on the way out.

Does that make you want to shop there?

They won’t give you a bag but every single item in the store is packaged in plastic or paper. So the bag is only a tiny percentage of the waste you walked out with but they don’t allow it? Am I supposed to keep a bag in my car at all times for when I need to drop in after work? What if I forgot to carry my bag to my car on the way to work?

Last edited by Denverpro; 02-19-2021 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver