Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 03:10 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
it would be nice to see the return of the neighborhood bodega. Could this be Aldi.
nope, Aldi is not a bodega. They are smaller than a regular supermarket, more of a Trader Joe's size, but that is still many times larger than a bodega. And they have parking lots and shopping carts (that you have to rent with a quarter) as opposed to being on an urban corner with a basket to hold your shopping.

And no cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 05:14 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
nope, Aldi is not a bodega. They are smaller than a regular supermarket, more of a Trader Joe's size, but that is still many times larger than a bodega. And they have parking lots and shopping carts (that you have to rent with a quarter) as opposed to being on an urban corner with a basket to hold your shopping.

And no cats
The one Aldi I've been to (Langhorne, PA) was the same size as a non-expanded KS. Certainly larger than a TJs, unless you're comparing to the one in Denver with an adjacent wine store

Old 09-10-2020, 07:23 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Who goes grocery shopping now a days. I get my groceries delivered from Walmart, Safeway, or King Soopers.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:41 AM

I do. These days I use every excuse I can to get out of the house!

Old 09-10-2020, 10:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Despite being a pretty tech savvy person, I just haven't gotten on board with buying physical goods online for some reason. I generally hate grocery shopping, but I always recall items I've been needing but didn't list, and seeing new items shakes up some ideas for cooking. That said, I shop at:

- King Soopers @ Yale/Colorado. General go-to for all the standard groceries. Their Latin American spice/chile section covers the bases most of the time.

- Trader Joe's @ 7th/Logan. For when you don't want to cook, but don't want to eat out (which gets expensive and unhealthy easily). I generally don't like their sauces and find their standard grocery items overpriced, but their frozen and/or vacuum-sealed items are usually perfect meal bases when throwing together a quick meal for one or two. Many of their items are perfect for weekend backpacking meals (and they could get away with jacking up the prices if they ever caught onto that). They're also good training wheels for convincing the SO they can branch out with their cooking.

- Pacific Ocean Market For Thai curry pastes and pho/ramen produce. I'm often here for snowstorm prep over any other store.

- Whole Foods @ I-25/Washington. The only place you can find ripe avocados in town. And, living up to the stereotype, it's the best place for granola and trail mix by far. I mostly come here for last-minute prep for gatherings or weekends in the mountains and shell out a few extra bucks for the convenient location relative to me.

- South Pearl Street Farmers Market. When it's running, I try to get into the habit of getting as many Sunday meal prep items there before going elsewhere.

Every Safeway I've been to bums me out. Almost always smaller and worse selection than at King Soopers, and the employees clearly aren't treated as well. I keep hearing good things about Sprouts, but in my limited experience, it has my least favorite aspects of TJ's and Whole Foods combined into one store. And not to be one of those people that gripes about a place they voluntarily moved to, but listing all this out reminds me that I miss HEB like every other person who moves away from Central/South Texas. It's like having Whole Foods quality food, farmers market local-ness and freshness, and King Soopers convenience/pricing/service.

Last edited by Westerner92; 09-10-2020 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 01:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
These things are all nice if you live in Denver, but Whole Foods and Trader Joes seem to have made the decision to basically stay out of Aurora. Racially motivated? I won't go there...

So out here we end up at Walmart and King Soopers more often than not, with only the Asian markets as an alternative.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
These things are all nice if you live in Denver, but Whole Foods and Trader Joes seem to have made the decision to basically stay out of Aurora. Racially motivated? I won't go there...
But, you did.

A few years ago I spoke with a Whole Foods real estate person and asked him: why not a WF at 52nd and Wadsworth?
His answer: not enough college graduates.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
But, you did.

A few years ago I spoke with a Whole Foods real estate person and asked him: why not a WF at 52nd and Wadsworth?
His answer: not enough college graduates.
So higher education is associated with buying overpriced staples?

Old 09-17-2020, 10:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
Places with free pickup: KS, Sam's Club, Walmart, Home Depot. I will go in store if I need to, but it's so nice to just drive by a store after work and have the car loaded up and be on my way.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
So higher education is associated with buying overpriced staples?
Yes. High education is considered indicative of higher income thus lots of companies search out those areas for development. There is a whole world of data analysis where income and other demographic data is sliced and diced to describe the general vibe of any given zip code, with investment decisions flowing from that. They have clever names for these areas, like Volvos and baby seats, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver