U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 09:57 AM

733 posts, read 416,170 times

Advertisements

where do you do it:

persoanlly I go every few weeks to a place Restrurant Depot, general locaiton 13th Av & i25. They require you have a LLC. Get your yearly $10.00 LLC from the CO Secetary of State online, cheeper than a costCo membership. Just a warning the Sec of State online experience is odd, they have the slowest computers. I go to Restrurant Depot for specific items, meat and fish are great. They have the largest & best tortilla's, good sour dough bread and clean lettice. Inexpensive chrisaunts. When disinfectants , face masks and gloves were hard to find they were offered free when you walked in the door. They cater to the restrurant industry so its a little rough. Especially the check out experience. They have a branch down south someplace but the denver store has the most stock.

I use Sprouts for vegtables and fruit. they have a excellent Shirimp Taco mix and a $10 bottle of Orhganic Honey that has a functional taste. The Mississippi Av store; with the covid pandamic has gone down one notch and seems not to be able to get up again.

generic packaged goods:
King Soopers
usally has the best trade off on price for packaged goods. Their Vegatables and fruit are usally stale so use caution. With all their coupons and buy 1get2 offers it is difficult shopping there. I use the recently remodled and clean 13th Av and Speer St store. Very nice spacious coverered parking but lock your car door, security is an issue, they have several police there but really your on your own.
Safeway
I do not know how they can be still in business. I use the Broadway Alamedia store and again security is an issue, lock your car. No covered parking but they have the best medium quality bagles on the planet. Baked good (reconstituted from a frozen state) are again good for the price. They have an agressive coupon and 1for2 marketing setup that makes shopping there difficult. Vegatbles and fruit are usally stale.

worth a shout:
-there is an asian restrurant supply SW corner 40th Av and Colorado in N Denver. They have very help full counter service.

i used to shop these places:
-PAM Pascific Asian Market and HMart. These days it is just too far to drive.
-CostCo; dosnt carry anything i really need they stopped carriying brands i like. The in out experience can be very fast in the morning. It bugged me, their high cost of membership. The dog one day, all of the sudden, totally refused to eat their dry food, this is very bad because he raids the trash often. What crushed my costCo experience is they inisted to inpsect my backpack. I usally goto the gym than costCo shopping many times. I finished up at the gym and had soiled clothing in there along with my quaterly tax project. Cosco allowed people with super large hand bags in and out w/o inspection and I have a much higher credit score. The more I told the door person exactly what was in the back pack the more they wanted to dig through it. I dont really care but just super grose even in a pre covid environment.

Last edited by daprara; 08-28-2020 at 10:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 10:43 AM

1,982 posts, read 3,320,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
They have the largest & best tortilla's, good sour dough bread and clean lettice. Inexpensive chrisaunts.
Appears that apostrophes were on sale, but they were out of stock on spell checkers

Personally, I like Trader Joes. Some unusual items and good prices.

I used to go to Sprouts more often, but now that Bulk is shut down, I go less often. For some reason, the Sprouts on Wadsworth in lakewood has the worst bananas I've ever seen. If they aren't out of stock, they are way too green. I once made the mistake of buying very green ones and they never ripened.

King Soopers is OK, though I liked it better before they did the expansion at the one in Lakewood Commons. Now they don't have enough cashiers, and lots of self-checkout. When an employee reminds me about self checkout, I respond, "I don't work here."

Old 08-28-2020, 11:01 AM

10,790 posts, read 8,693,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Appears that apostrophes were on sale, but they were out of stock on spell checkers
I commented on his spelling and grammar in one of his previous threads. There is the occasional typo that is easy enough to overlook, then there is something so poorly written that it heavily detracts from a writer’s ability to clearly communicate a point. His writing tends towards the latter.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:32 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,038,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I commented on his spelling and grammar in one of his previous threads. There is the occasional typo that is easy enough to overlook, then there is something so poorly written that it heavily detracts from a writer’s ability to clearly communicate a point. His writing tends towards the latter.
Bashed out on a phone or tablet without real editing capabilities, I would guess.

I used to shop for a very large family and my habits remain as a household of one.

KS serves almost all my needs and has reasonable prices.
Sam's Club fills in the bulk purchases and has lower prices on things like bread, coffee, laundry soap.
WMG is in the middle, low prices on unit goods, mostly canned stuff.

I used to shop Costco regularly but didn't live near one in New England. Recently re-upped because the promotional payback almost equaled the cost of membership. Found, again, that it really doesn't have much I buy. They don't even have a good selection of basic bread, but if you're into the SaraLee and PF fancy breads, they've got a ton. Two more visits left me buying almost nothing. They're just a slightly upscale, slightly discount box store, nothing (it seems) like what they used to be. Won't be renewing it.

Don't really have time or need to shop places like Sprouts or NG for veggies etc. but I can see why some people go out of their way for those. I do get my T'day turkey from NG.

And Trader Joe's remains, in my opinion, the suburban equivalent of a NYC bodega, a place you stop in and get a few things for dinner for yourself or a couple. Not really a place to shop by the cart. Definitely not a place to try and buy dinner for more than about two; their "reasonable prices" are on relatively small-serving goods and having to buy four kind of kills the advantage. It's a boutique grocery story that's a tad less guilt-inducing than picking up takeout five times a week.

And like the OP, I don't know how Safeway is still in business other than scale+inertia. High prices, kind of obnoxious to deal with, can't think of a single point that would draw me there, even on my selective shopping rotation. Always disappointed when I hit one because it's next door to something else.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:35 AM

101 posts, read 92,769 times
Costco. I have the executive membership, and every year I get a check that covers that and a few dollars extra. We are mainly on a keto diet, so we buy a lot of meat, seafood, cheese and cream. Occasionally low glycemic fruits, depending what's in season so that prices are decent. I never got my bags checked at exit, but at the same I drive there and I leave all the things I don't need in the car. It does bug me they don't carry in Denver the half a gallon horizon organic cream or the organic party chicken wings I used to buy in Chicago, but I find most things I need there.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM

15,690 posts, read 23,596,029 times
We are doing—

Instacart shopping with pickup from:
King Soopers
Sprouts

Delivery from:
Costco

Shopping in person at:
Il Porcellino
Seafood Landing
Belfiore

Old 08-28-2020, 11:56 AM

23,517 posts, read 25,144,305 times
Costco
King Soopers
Sprouts

Trader Joe's occasionally when I need to get Everything But the Bagel seasoning - which is awesome on avocado toast.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:59 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,038,117 times
And Amazon, of course, for some packaged foods. But I've also put in a few orders with Walmart because it's the only way to get around the statewide ban on anything boysenberry-flavored without paying exorbitant prices ($10-12 a jar) or buying overly large packs (6, often at still-inflated prices) from Amazon. I get me Knott's Boysenberry Jam at $3.50 a jar, three or so, and pad out the order to free shipping with goods that are the same or cheaper than shelf around here.

Take that, CO Anti-Boysenberry League.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:35 PM

23,094 posts, read 42,245,016 times
Bagel seasoning? Egads! Never knew such existed ... had to google ... inquiring minds ...

Founds all sorts of stuff, including how to make your own bagel seasoning mix, how to use it, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:29 PM

23,517 posts, read 25,144,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bagel seasoning? Egads! Never knew such existed ... had to google ... inquiring minds ...

Founds all sorts of stuff, including how to make your own bagel seasoning mix, how to use it, etc.
I first had it on a lovely piece of avocado toast at a little coffee shop in Ouray. My son told me what it was and where to get it. We're all addicted to it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver