U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have just recently moved to Denver from Washington, DC and love everything about our decision. This website has been paramount in helping us answer some real questions about housing and where to live, what to do, etc.

My question now is based on us preparing to buy our first home. After a lot of talking about neighborhoods and homes we decided we would like to see if it is possible to find an old 2 or 3 story warehouse in or around the downtown Denver area and fix it up in to a single family home. Does anyone know of a good place to start with this? Any good realtors that focus on this type of thing? Any one heard of any zoning issues they or someone they know have faced?

We are not opposed to buying a home in one of the many great neighborhoods in the area but having a warehouse type place would be really neat and would give me plenty of room to work on my cars (a little hobby of mine) and a chance for the both of us to sort of design the interior of our own home.

Any thoughts are most welcome! Thanks again for all the help, past/ present/ and (I'm sure) future!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM

380 posts, read 1,161,804 times
[edit]
Sadly, I have no information to help you out. It would be great if you share any information you get !! Good luck.

Last edited by suzco; 05-02-2008 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: orphaned comment

Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,144,603 times
Cool idea, but I think any warehouse close to downtown is going to be prohibitively expensive for you, at least for conversion to SFR. Most of LoDo is 19th century warehouse conversions, and clearly a developer would need to pay millions for a LoDo like warehouse building.

That said, there are some industrial districts that may be promising. One burgeoning area is the River North District, which is mainly along Brighton Boulevard in along the numbered streets in the 30s. There have been a few loft projects along there (taxi, fire clay), but by and large the area has retained its industrial feel, though more and more it's becoming popular with artists to use as workspace. My fear is that you may have hit this a couple years too late to find affordable property in river north, as the area has kind of already been discovered.

Another place to look might be the Upper Larimer area, basically across the UPRR tracks from River North, along Blake, Market, and Larimer Streets in the 30s. This also has had a number of loft projects.

From what I know, however, this is going to be tricky for you: getting zoning changed, getting permits, finding quality subcontractors. Likely your best bet will be to find a very experienced general contractor who has some experience with this sort of thing -- that may be hard to find. Navigating the governmental hurdles may be the trickiest part of all.

When you look for the property, most residential real estate agents probably can't help you -- in fact, most such properties are probably not in the realtors' MLS. You'll need a commercial real estate agent, most likely, but that agent probably has little experience handling a customer like yourself, so you'll probably be on your own for figuring out how to do this.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 AM

12 posts, read 65,628 times
tfox nailed it, but you're going to have to move into what is now "the hood", but may or may not explode in development over the next 10 years. You're not alone though, everyone with big bucks has their eyes on what is & isn't being developed in that area.

Condoitis anywhere near downtown is EXPLODING, and for the most part, you're looking at 300+......if you're lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver