U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:13 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,722,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Well I think all that social media clickbait about 5' of snow is silly. Could we get a couple feet? Sure, but if the storm track moves 100 miles north or south or the dynamics cause it to move faster than anticipated we could get 6" or less, and if the cold fronts aren't as cold as expected we could get a lot of cold rain. I wouldn't start putting any stock in snow total predictions until tomorrow or Thursday. The models are starting to come into agreement now. I've got the snow blower ready in case it gets gnarly, but right now I have an uneducated hunch it'll be 12-18" - which is big, but nowhere near the Blizzard of 2003. For the record, I did take ONE atmospheric science class in college. It was taught by the late Bill Gray, CSU's famous hurricane forecaster.

It's too bad Rotse bailed on Denver and C-D. I'd love to see his take on this storm. "OMG we got 10 feet of snow in 6 hours. It was the worst blizzard ever."
We were here, living in south Englewood (across from Fiddler's Green) when the 2003 blizzard hit. All of the vehicles in the apartment complex parking lot were buried..........literally!

We were also here, but had a house in Parker, when the Holiday Blizzard of 2006 hit. Funny, but that blizzard is the the Weather Channel History Archives.

Actually, the last snow we had, Denver metro got 3-times as much as we did in Loveland. We only got about 3 inches.

Now, the ones who have lived here for years and the ones that lived here, moved and then returned, know, without a doubt, that our 65/70 degree weather wasn't going to last. The "lived here, moved and then returned" ones, include us. Lived here for 5 1/2 years before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM

23,142 posts, read 42,346,995 times
WaPo says two back to back storms will target the Rockies "with blockbuster snow possible in Denver." Ouch.

Excerpt: "The first is expected to target the central and northern Rockies, particularly in Wyoming, before moving eastward and dropping a strip of light to moderate snowfall from Nebraska and South Dakota northeastward into northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. Winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories were in effect for some of these areas, with the first flakes set to fly on Tuesday night .... Then a much bigger snowstorm — potentially a blockbuster — could aim for Denver and the Front Range from Friday into the weekend. Timing and amounts are uncertain, but the threat exists for significant snowfall that might be measured in feet rather than inches. Both storms are tied to a supercharged jet stream that’s bringing an active weather pattern across the Lower 48."

As Fred Sanford used to say as he clasped his hand over his heart, "..this is the big one.."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-09-2021 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-09-2021, 12:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 2,319,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
WaPo says two back to back storms will target the Rockies "with blockbuster snow possible in Denver." Ouch.

Excerpt: "The first is expected to target the central and northern Rockies, particularly in Wyoming, before moving eastward and dropping a strip of light to moderate snowfall from Nebraska and South Dakota northeastward into northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. Winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories were in effect for some of these areas, with the first flakes set to fly on Tuesday night .... Then a much bigger snowstorm — potentially a blockbuster — could aim for Denver and the Front Range from Friday into the weekend. Timing and amounts are uncertain, but the threat exists for significant snowfall that might be measured in feet rather than inches. Both storms are tied to a supercharged jet stream that’s bringing an active weather pattern across the Lower 48."

As Fred Sanford used to say as he clasped his hand over his heart, "..this is the big one.."
When I first read this, I thought it read 48 INCHES! A moment of relief and then I realized that's actually possible.

The most snow I've been in was one of the Presidents Day storms outside of Baltimore when we had 36". We would take turns going out every two hours to clear the driveway, even over night. But we had teenage boys in the house then to help.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:42 PM

7,412 posts, read 11,740,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Like I said above, I'm not putting stock in any snowfall predictions handed out before Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
When I first read this, I thought it read 48 INCHES! A moment of relief and then I realized that's actually possible.
Possible? Sure. Likely? No. Denver's all-time record snowfall from one storm is 45.7" and that happened over a century ago. The Blizzard of March 2003 is #2 on the list with 31.8" of snow.

The NWS in Boulder is telling people to be prepared, but even they aren't giving any snowfall estimates yet. It should be noted that none of the models are predicting the storm will miss Denver, so we're almost guaranteed to get some snow.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:24 PM

23,142 posts, read 42,346,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
. . The most snow I've been in was one of the Presidents Day storms outside of Baltimore when we had 36". . . .
I recall that one, 2003. We lived near Dulles Airport at the time, people were shoveling the heavy wet crap off their roofs. It was that storm which collapsed the roof of the B&O RR Museum in Baltimore, crushing some vintage railroad items that dated back to the Civil War; fortunately they had good insurance and all was repaired, but it to ten years for some of the restorations. Hopefully nothing drastic happens to Denver this weekend; just stock up and stay home.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:20 PM

26 posts, read 20,704 times
My husband plows snow for a city near the foothills and they are preparing for 60"

Of course, this all just really depends on how fast the storm moves, but I am preparing for it either way. Better to be safe than sorry. Blankets, pillow, water, snacks, and full tank of gas in my car just in case. I work for a place that I may get called in to fill shifts when people don't show up during the storm. Hoping I can just enjoy it from my house all weekend!

I was born here 40 years ago and these blizzards have always been my favorite part of living here. Just make sure to help your neighbors who cannot shovel that amount of snow. Lots of heart attacks happen during storms like this from shoveling!!

Old 03-10-2021, 05:55 PM

3,943 posts, read 7,237,143 times
The NWS forecast discussion is always dense at my level of understanding, but it seems like the models are starting to converge on 2-3” rain-equivalent for the total storm system this weekend. Even if it ends up being a fast moving system where the urban corridor gets half rain with dense snow, which is somewhat unlikely, it’ll still be a pretty slushy 6” and treacherous to drive. If the storm tracks slow and to the south, it'll be a higher total with fluffier snow, so 30+”. I’m gonna put some chips on a wet 15” in most of Denver proper, with some parts of the foothills getting up to 4’. Heavy snow is gross, so I’m pulling for a southerly track of the storm myself.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 AM

17,713 posts, read 23,323,254 times
We are all stocked up-plenty of food and alcohol. KS was out of control yesterday. We are right off C470 and Bowles so west Littleton. We ALWAYS get more snow than Denver. They are now talking 2-9 feet for us. BF is in the car business. I don't see them being open Saturday, or shouldn't be for safety of employees.

I have a GX with snow tires on so I'll plow through anything, lol.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,340,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I have a GX with snow tires on so I'll plow through anything, lol.
Famous last words. :-)

Old 03-11-2021, 02:55 PM

17,713 posts, read 23,323,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Famous last words. :-)
I'll keep everyone posted. Honestly, when that snow storm hit 2 years ago this month, I was the only one on I70 that could make it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver