Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,356 times

Advertisements

Ok so we were driving threw our old neighborhood on the north side and they took down billys bar!! That was a north Denver institution!! Now its probably going to turn into a coffie shop! I am really fed up with the rich young yuppies taking over our neighborhoods! There taking the character out of everything! They knocked down the lakewood mall, billys bar, and more to come if these yuppies keep on moving in. People on this forum say that denver is not diverse, its because they are the white people who are moving here that are making the city diverse. They are the people who are kicking the poor people out of their neighborhoods, they cant afford the rent, or even the property taxes. Im just really upset!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas12345 View Post
I am really fed up with the rich young yuppies taking over our neighborhoods! There taking the character out of everything! ... if these yuppies keep on moving in. ....its because they are the white people who are moving here that are making the city diverse. They are the people who are kicking the poor people out of their neighborhoods...Im just really upset!
I wonder if anyone else has any opinions on this....

http://www.colby.edu/personal/e/ebeasley/native%20americans.jpg (broken link)

(this photo not protected by copyright)

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Ok so we were driving threw our old neighborhood on the north side and they took down billys bar!! That was a north Denver institution!! Now its probably going to turn into a coffie shop! I am really fed up with the rich young yuppies taking over our neighborhoods! There taking the character out of everything! They knocked down the lakewood mall, billys bar, and more to come if these yuppies keep on moving in. People on this forum say that denver is not diverse, its because they are the white people who are moving here that are making the city diverse. They are the people who are kicking the poor people out of their neighborhoods, they cant afford the rent, or even the property taxes. Im just really upset!
No, it couldn't be that the business simply failed. No, it was some grand conspiracy backed by "THEY" that decided your bar needed to close. Who is "THEY" anyway? Does "THEY" have an office or a phone number?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 109,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No, it couldn't be that the business simply failed. No, it was some grand conspiracy backed by "THEY" that decided your bar needed to close. Who is "THEY" anyway? Does "THEY" have an office or a phone number?
white people, they are the source of all problems

just kidding white people!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthach View Post
white people, they are the source of all problems

just kidding white people!
Haha like a Jewish radio host I heard said, "If there's a Jewish worldwide conspiracy to control things, why don't they ever invite me to the meetings? And where's my royalty check?"

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 20,445 times
Gentrification is a problem depending on your point of view. I share some of the same views. Rent has been going up constantly with apartments so my gf and I decided to rent a condo/townhome and actually found a good deal. I'd stay away from apartments right now like the plague. Rents are skyrocketing I'm guessing because people are getting foreclosed on their houses. However everyone who is trying to sell their condo that they bought for $200K which is now worth a far more appropriate $135K can't get out from underneath their property so they decide to rent usually at pretty good prices.

Personally I feel that the Californians that move here are the ones yuppifying Denver. Whether or not this is actually the case I'm not sure. They keep building these town centers (like the one being developed off of Arapaho & Parker) which all look and have the same thing. I realize the theory behind doing this but it makes every area the same and it loses its character.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:16 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,395 times
I don't understand how people think development and demolition of old, out of date buildings is a bad thing.

Perhaps the rising rents will give people an incentive to repair their credit and purchase their own home somewhere. Or maybe even go to school to get a better job. I am tired of hearing how the poor people are being oppressed. In this country, there is no such thing as "poor". Poor me, maybe, but not poor. There are so many opportunities for econimically disadvantaged people in this country, it just required some effort on their part. You are what you make yourself to be. When I was 18 years old, I left my family and started off on my own. Eight years later, I am not rich, or even well off, but I am doing just fine. And I did it without hand-outs.

Now, to get back on topic, the rich people are not just coming in there and taking everything. Someone has to sell it. If there is no base to support the old charming things, (IE Billy's Bar) they will be replaced. If enough people thought those homes and other buildings were charming, they would still be there.

People that rent should understand that they don't own their property, and the people who own it have every right to sell it for a profit to yuppies if they want to. It's their house, not the renter's.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
Times change and it's not because of some "yuppie" people. I hate that term "yuppie" as that's just wrong.

Anyhow, I am a lifer in Colorado and have seen this state change in so many ways. I have been a part of that (worked in sales for windows and doors) and it's just not worth the effort to get peesed off because of development.

I remember driving to Denver to take a flight out of Stapleton when I was a kid...so many open spaces between Colorado Springs and there. Heck, even driving up 225 was rural then (Yeah I am old) and visiting my parents' friends in Aurora was a trip as it was basically a farm...not so much anymore.

Lighten up and accept it. Not much you can do and if getting mad about that is your worst problem, I'd say you have a pretty good life.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Maybe Billy wanted to retire.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,825 times
It's a good reminder to us all. If you love a business - go often and spend lots of money there to make sure they stay in business. Tell your friends to go too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver