Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 07:10 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting some of the suburbs south of Denver and would like recommendations scenic spots. I plan to stop by Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Parker and Castle Rock. I'm particularly interested in hiking trails, interesting playgrounds and other spots that showcase the area's natural beauty. Would also appreciate interesting walks in downtown area too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 07:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Look up Daniel's Park Scenic Overlook in Castle Pines.

Downtown? Go to LoDo, RiNo, LoHi.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:50 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Red Rocks

Old 09-26-2020, 08:04 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
Mount Falcon West trailhead. A number of interesting easy hikes from the top.

https://dayhikesneardenver.com/mount...le-tower-hike/

Old 09-26-2020, 08:08 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
If you're scouting Castle Rock, go for a hike at Castlewood Canyon State Park. It's just southeast of town. The visitor's center is south of Franktown off CO-83. Admission is $8 for a day pass. Park at the Lake Gulch Trailhead and do the 6-mile double loop I attached. It's roughly Lake Gulch->Inner Canyon->Rimrock->Creek Bottom->Dam->Creek Bottom->Inner Canyon. If you do it in that order you'll see the waterfall on Cherry Creek and the dam ruins along with the inner part of the canyon itself. If you're coming before winter, watch for snakes. Bullsnakes are the most common, but rattlesnakes can be found in the canyon.

scenic spots in Denver suburbs-castlewoodloops.png

Castlewood Canyon Trail Maps

Also in Castle Rock - Rock Park. There's a 1-mile trail to the bottom of the rock, and if you're comfortable with a little Class 3 scrambling, there's a social trail up the northeast face to the top of the rock itself.

Castle Rock, CO - Official Website

View from the top of Castle Rock.

In Lone Tree, there's an easy 2.5-3 mile loop hike at Bluffs Regional Park.

Parker (also Castle Rock) - Hidden Mesa Open Space is a nice 7ish mile hike if you start at the old farm parking lot off CO-83. This open space is also very popular with mountain bikers.

Highlands Ranch - I would head to either Roxborough State Park or Deer Creek Canyon Park.

Roxborough would be my first choice of those two. Again, the entry fee is $8. No dogs allowed. Carpenter Peak is my personal favorite hike in the park, but it's 6ish miles and about 1200' of vertical gain. At 7100' it's the highest point in Roxborough, and it looks down on the red rock formations and the houses in the Roxborough subdivision.

Here's a pic I took from the summit of Carpenter Peak a few years ago.

Deer Creek Canyon is also a nice place to hike in the foothills. I've gone to the top of Plymouth Mountain (7200') once.

That's all I can think of for now. I actually have a photo album with pics of most of the places I've mentioned here. There are a few shots from Mount Falcon in there as well. If you look through the album and want to know where any of the places are, let me know.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Look up Daniel's Park Scenic Overlook in Castle Pines.

Downtown? Go to LoDo, RiNo, LoHi.
Thanks.
I meant the downtown area of these suburbs. I spent a lot of time in Denver's downtown in the last trip so I think I know what it has to offer.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're scouting Castle Rock, go for a hike at Castlewood Canyon State Park. It's just southeast of town. The visitor's center is south of Franktown off CO-83. Admission is $8 for a day pass. Park at the Lake Gulch Trailhead and do the 6-mile double loop I attached. It's roughly Lake Gulch->Inner Canyon->Rimrock->Creek Bottom->Dam->Creek Bottom->Inner Canyon. If you do it in that order you'll see the waterfall on Cherry Creek and the dam ruins along with the inner part of the canyon itself. If you're coming before winter, watch for snakes. Bullsnakes are the most common, but rattlesnakes can be found in the canyon.

Attachment 224080

Castlewood Canyon Trail Maps

Also in Castle Rock - Rock Park. There's a 1-mile trail to the bottom of the rock, and if you're comfortable with a little Class 3 scrambling, there's a social trail up the northeast face to the top of the rock itself.

Castle Rock, CO - Official Website

View from the top of Castle Rock.

In Lone Tree, there's an easy 2.5-3 mile loop hike at Bluffs Regional Park.

Parker (also Castle Rock) - Hidden Mesa Open Space is a nice 7ish mile hike if you start at the old farm parking lot off CO-83. This open space is also very popular with mountain bikers.

Highlands Ranch - I would head to either Roxborough State Park or Deer Creek Canyon Park.

Roxborough would be my first choice of those two. Again, the entry fee is $8. No dogs allowed. Carpenter Peak is my personal favorite hike in the park, but it's 6ish miles and about 1200' of vertical gain. At 7100' it's the highest point in Roxborough, and it looks down on the red rock formations and the houses in the Roxborough subdivision.

Here's a pic I took from the summit of Carpenter Peak a few years ago.

Deer Creek Canyon is also a nice place to hike in the foothills. I've gone to the top of Plymouth Mountain (7200') once.

That's all I can think of for now. I actually have a photo album with pics of most of the places I've mentioned here. There are a few shots from Mount Falcon in there as well. If you look through the album and want to know where any of the places are, let me know.
Thanks. This is more than I expected.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Thanks. This is more than I expected.
You're welcome. The suggestions thus far are just the tip of the iceberg. If you're bringing young kiddos with you, you night also want to consider Lair o' the Bear Park between Morrison and Evergreen. The trails are easy and Bear Creek runs through the middle of the park.

If you're willing to venture into the foothills, check out Alderfer/Three Sisters Park in Evergreen or Staunton State Park near Conifer.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM

124 posts, read 103,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Red Rocks
This. Matthews/Winters is gorgeous, not to mention the amphitheatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver