Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 12:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times

Advertisements

I moved here from California in 2002, but I wanted to get away from the train wreck of that place, not come here and make it like California. Unfortunately, I am apparently in the minority of "immigrants". I bought a condo in RINO 15 years ago (before it was cool) and then, 8 years ago, moved to house in the western burbs which has doubled in price. I was planning to move the the mountains in 8-10 years but now I'm re-thinking it. The Dems monopoly on state government is destroying this state and even mountain towns aren't exempt from their rules, regulations, and tax increases.

18 years ago, Colorado was the best place in America but now I'm starting to think there are a lot of places better. I'm considering Wyoming or northwest Arkansas (never thought I'd say that). I see a mass exodus to Red States coming just as there was from California to Colorado during the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 03:25 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I moved here from California in 2002, but I wanted to get away from the train wreck of that place, not come here and make it like California. Unfortunately, I am apparently in the minority of "immigrants". I bought a condo in RINO 15 years ago (before it was cool) and then, 8 years ago, moved to house in the western burbs which has doubled in price. I was planning to move the the mountains in 8-10 years but now I'm re-thinking it. The Dems monopoly on state government is destroying this state and even mountain towns aren't exempt from their rules, regulations, and tax increases.
You do realize we just voted to lower the state income tax rate, yes? I think Colorado is actually pretty good on keeping taxes lower. It certainly beats California.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:07 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
You do realize we just voted to lower the state income tax rate, yes? I think Colorado is actually pretty good on keeping taxes lower. It certainly beats California.
Agreed. People who complain about tax increases in Colorado are either trolling or willfully ignorant. With TABOR few, if any, tax increases actually make it to reality.

The gas tax, for example, hasn't been raised in almost 30 years. It's reason #1 why we have so many f*&^ing toll lanes being built.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:46 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
... The gas tax, for example, hasn't been raised in almost 30 years. It's reason #1 why we have so many f*&^ing toll lanes being built.
Somehow they find a way to fund at least some of what is needed, be it toll lanes or all those nickel and dime fees.

I like to say that we can pay now or we can pay later, but for damned sure we are going to pay.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Somehow they find a way to fund at least some of what is needed, be it toll lanes or all those nickel and dime fees.

I like to say that we can pay now or we can pay later, but for damned sure we are going to pay.
Many, many states where for damned sure you are going to pay more. <shrugs>

Old 12-04-2020, 06:26 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Indeed true.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:18 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I have been in the Denver Metro area since 1999 and I don't recall seeing highways signs in both Spanish and English. Can your provide an area location where these signs exist?

Politically I am very middle of the road. That video definitely has a slant towards the right.
A friend of mine lives near Mississippi and Sheridan, and when I drive to her house (I typically go along Evans), I'll see a number of billboards signs in Spanish....but I think they've always been there, ever since I've been in Colorado (1998). When I lived in Aurora, it seemed once I went north of 6th Avenue, I'd start seeing a lot of signs in Spanish as well.

Personally, it never bothered me. I lived for a year in a Spanish-speaking country, so I always use those signs as practice to see how well I can interpret what's written on them. (I'm horrible at irregular verb conjugations, so those can really throw me.)

Old 12-07-2020, 08:27 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,355 times
Dont forget that in CO you pay a property tax on your vehicle which goes to roads....This fee is way higher than most states. PA its like $50 for a new vehicle, here my truck is $1500. PA you still have tolls on the interstate highway and some other major roads and a gas tax.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:17 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I was planning to move the the mountains in 8-10 years but now I'm re-thinking it. The Dems monopoly on state government is destroying this state and even mountain towns aren't exempt from their rules, regulations, and tax increases.
Colorado generally doesn't do tax increases, unless you're asking people within school districts to pay up for school improvements (we did this last year and it's looking pretty nice, honestly).

Also, people who are afraid of Dem rule may not get away from that in the mountains unless you're in Park County or start getting lower into the western slope (I don't think people realize this). Summit County, Lake County for example are both heavily Democrat and the board of county commissioners in both reflects that.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:58 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Colorado generally doesn't do tax increases, unless you're asking people within school districts to pay up for school improvements (we did this last year and it's looking pretty nice, honestly).

Also, people who are afraid of Dem rule may not get away from that in the mountains unless you're in Park County or start getting lower into the western slope (I don't think people realize this). Summit County, Lake County for example are both heavily Democrat and the board of county commissioners in both reflects that.
The tax burden in CO isn't that bad. generally property taxes are low unless you live in a special taxing district, income tax is average but not too bad, sales tax is high, and depending where you are there are other hidden taxes for RTD or some BS. Housing is the biggest outlier compared to other places and if you bought 8+ years ago you're doing ok.

What is worrisome is the # of Dems that want more and more taxes. IMO CO will figure out how to be in the top 10 for tax burdens in 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver