Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 12:40 PM

48 posts, read 51,880 times

Advertisements

Hello folks! We lived in Denver for a couple of years in the 2010's, and miss it so much that we are relocating back after trying out the East Coast. Cant wait!

We're looking for our permanent home in a suburb since we like single family homes and a large backyard for our two big dogs. This excludes more of Denver proper due to budget (approx 500K).

We notice in America, unlike in Europe, most families once they have kids, do thier own thing (i.e. dont have a social life) so we would like to avoid areas that are fully into that kind of vibe/nesting mode. We love connections with the community, and a diverse group of folks, having a business-district street area (to walk to or a short drive to) with stores/bars etc. Any suggestions would help - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:16 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
1. Why did you reject Tucson?
2. "There was additionally a record-high for November average close price for combined single-family detached and attached properties, and detached single-family homes at $549,756 and $615,766 respectively."
3. Median price for sf detached was $513K.
4. DoM is about 1 week. You snooze, you lose.
5. Downtowns are: Englewood, Golden, Littleton, Olde Town Arvada, Louisville. Belmar is a fake downtown. Outside of the city of Denver, there are few downtowns. Denver has street car neighborhoods, but you cannot afford Denver.
6. Where are your work locations?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Thanks for these location tips! Work remotely so any location is okay. We have a lot of friends around the DTC area so wondered about those locations. But Arvada seems nice too. And yes, we know its super competitive so are okay with waiting for that one right home.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:15 PM

177 posts, read 175,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
Thanks for these location tips! Work remotely so any location is okay. We have a lot of friends around the DTC area so wondered about those locations. But Arvada seems nice too. And yes, we know its super competitive so are okay with waiting for that one right home.
I LOVE arvada truly. Right near north table mountain... close enough to the city where you can feel connected.... but driving from DTC to arvada is a pain. And a no-go in rush hour (which may not be as bad as 2019 rush hour).

DTC in general always felt fake and businessy.

if you want to be near your friends, you can't go wrong with Englewood. Lots of single people, or people who live with roommates, or maybe starter couples in englewood.

If you can creep north and swing rosedale/platte park, do it. It's better and is a real neat mesh hybrid of city/suburbs. Cute little bars and shops. Expensive though.

Littleton is family focused -- i think thats more to the nature of the style of houses that are there, and schools. I went to a bluegrass jam their right before covid shut everything down. They RIPPED and it was hella fun.

Last edited by jweb29; 12-31-2020 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply, JWeb! I think it will all come down to price point and trying so hard to find a bigger lot yet in an area where one can walk to something remotely social (a cafe or a bar, etc). So much to think about!

Old 01-04-2021, 01:34 PM

306 posts, read 202,993 times
I worked near DTC, and it feels very sprawling and mall like. There are lots of restaurants around, but not sure if it'll feel like much of a community. My wife and I left Denver last year, as we missed the East Coast too much, but her sister lives in Arvada, and we always really liked it. Easy access to Boulder, easy access to Denver, not too pricey, and old town Arvada is big enough that it's a fun evening out.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
I worked near DTC, and it feels very sprawling and mall like. There are lots of restaurants around, but not sure if it'll feel like much of a community. My wife and I left Denver last year, as we missed the East Coast too much, but her sister lives in Arvada, and we always really liked it. Easy access to Boulder, easy access to Denver, not too pricey, and old town Arvada is big enough that it's a fun evening out.
Fair points. DTC is sterile, but I liked it. It was spacious, but still walkable, remarkably clean and safe.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:24 PM

157 posts, read 137,352 times
Why not just have a home built? You'll pay $150-200k for the lot, have it built for $300k, and then the builder's profit is usually under $75k (he probably is doing 5 of these a year). All modern architecture, big windows, rooftop deck overlooking the city. Modern construction doesn't require fancy finishing other than windows.

Check out littleton, englewood, and south west denver proper.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:00 PM

Thats for these tips! I will explore the option of buying a lot and building on it for sure, as I don't like the look of most older homes on the market right now...

Also have been hearing mixed views on Aurora? That it has good and bad parts, and that it has been having a big homeless encampments issue? Was curious about this as its kind of worrying...

Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
Thats for these tips! I will explore the option of buying a lot and building on it for sure, as I don't like the look of most older homes on the market right now...

Also have been hearing mixed views on Aurora? That it has good and bad parts, and that it has been having a big homeless encampments issue? Was curious about this as its kind of worrying...
Most people who talk smack about Aurora have never lived here. Quite frankly, a lot of the flak Aurora gets is racially-based. Aurora has long-been a black flight suburb. It's the most diverse city in the state, and a lot of the people talk smack because *gasp* black and brown people live here.

The northwest part of the city along East Colfax near the border with Denver is the roughest part of the city. Most of the rest of the city is transitional or even high-end. The southeast side where we live is half-million dollar houses and up.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-08-2021 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Fix typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver