U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:30 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,355,743 times

Advertisements

My parents, both in their late seventies, were able to get the Moderna vaccine at Anchutz today on a walk in basis. It was being offered to the general public over the age of seventy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 12:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 847,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My parents, both in their late seventies, were able to get the Moderna vaccine at Anchutz today on a walk in basis. It was being offered to the general public over the age of seventy.
This is really good news. Did they have to sign up ahead of time? Is it covered by Medicare? I know of several 70+ people who are waiting for the vaccine before they will feel comfortable going out.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is really good news. Did they have to sign up ahead of time? Is it covered by Medicare? I know of several 70+ people who are waiting for the vaccine before they will feel comfortable going out.
They did not sign up. They just showed up, and yes, it was covered.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:09 PM

A little more detail...

They got a call from a friend who was at the hospital and saw that they were giving out shots so they jumped in the car and headed down.

There was no line when they showed up, but within a half an hour they were turning people away and saying that people needed appointments. It sounds like they had doses that they needed to use up and offered them to the public.

They were given appointments to come back at the end of January for their second doses.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:32 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,520,546 times
Hmm... Seems to me Anschutz violated the state protocol. Per the CO Covid web site, we're in phase 1A which includes first responders and nursing home residents and staff. Phase 1B is up next and they don't even qualify for that category.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Hmm... Seems to me Anschutz violated the state protocol. Per the CO Covid web site, we're in phase 1A which includes first responders and nursing home residents and staff. Phase 1B is up next and they don't even qualify for that category.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure what prompted it or if it was a one time event.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Next phase of vaccine distribution expanded to include teachers, grocery store workers, seniors

Governor Polis announced the changes to who is next in line to get a COVID-19 vaccine during a press conference Wednesday.

Quote:
The previous plan said all Coloradans age 65 or older were included in Phase 2 of the vaccination distribution plan.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) said they expect the majority of Phase 1A healthcare workers by Jan. 15. They said as that date gets closer they will be able to provide more information about next steps.

Polis said the reason for the shift is due to the increased risk of death for people in that age group — more than 78% of COVID-19 deaths in the state are among adults age 70 and older.

"Any Coloradan 70 and up can now legally receive the vaccine," Polis said. "This will take about 4-5 weeks."

Old 12-31-2020, 08:55 AM

5,008 posts, read 4,558,863 times
Different states have different rules, obviously, but this does not surprise me. Uptake of the vaccine in health care workers across the country has been lower than expected. It's one of the reasons (along with poor coordination by state health departments) that the initial "20M people by the end of the year" goal has not been achieved. Once the shipments have been opened, they don't want them to expire. My husband's hospital in Houston quickly went from vaccinating front line clinical staff, to all clinical staff, to any and all staff who wanted it (even non patient facing). DH said he's walked by the vaccine area on more than one occasion and very few people were there getting shots.

The large systems here have already been contacting patients in high risk groups (i.e. above age 70) to schedule vaccines. Both my Father and FIL are scheduled to get vaccines in the next week or two.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 12-31-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Different states have different rules, obviously, but this does not surprise me. Uptake of the vaccine in health care workers across the country has been lower than expected. It's one of the reasons (along with poor coordination by state health departments) that the initial "20M people by the end of the year" goal has not been achieved. Once the shipments have been opened, they don't want them to expire. My husband's hospital in Houston quickly went from vaccinating front line clinical staff, to all clinical staff, to any and all staff who wanted it (even non patient facing). DH said he's walked by the vaccine area on more than one occasion and very few people were there getting shots.

The large systems here have already been contacting patients in high risk groups (i.e. above age 70) to schedule vaccines. Both my Father and FIL are scheduled to get vaccines in the next week or two.
I heard from a friend at a hospital they have also been getting some shipments with more doses than they thought so have had extras.

In any case, glad the Gov made the change and made it legal for over 70 now.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:25 PM

1,048 posts, read 967,006 times
Any process, no matter how clunky, that ensures all viable vaccine doses are put into humans before the vaccine goes bad is an acceptable process. Could it be a better process? Absolutely. Is it better than throwing vaccine in the landfill? Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver