U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2021, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,896 posts, read 7,210,883 times
Reputation: 5126

Advertisements

I’m a middle American through and through, as in I can’t trace my family outside of Texas hardly, and I never thought to attribute instances of my deadpan sarcasm falling flat to regional culture. I guess it does make sense considering I consume an abnormal amount of coastal and British standup. I’ve just learned to inflect the punchline so that people know to laugh if they’re feeling charitable.

Other than that though, to be perfectly honest, I haven’t taken too well to a lot of the urban coastal types I’ve come across. It seems like they’re always putting up a salesperson façade. That said, people from just about every regional culture, generally speaking, are far less flakey than Texans and Southerners, which has been quite refreshing.

Aaanywaaay, I’d tend to go for Centennial (assuming you’re talking about the area east of I-25) over Highlands Ranch. Cherry Creek and Littleton schools haven’t been subject to failing libertarian experiments. A lot of Highlands Ranch homes are right at the age where any build quality issues start rearing their heads, whereas any updated homes in Centennial are most likely good to go. Centennial generally has larger lots and more mature trees. That said, HR really does seem pretty nice as far as master planned communities go. It has a far superior trail system and much better views than Centennial.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2021, 12:26 PM
 
Location: OC
8,511 posts, read 4,873,801 times
Reputation: 6554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I’m a middle American through and through, as in I can’t trace my family outside of Texas hardly, and I never thought to attribute instances of my deadpan sarcasm falling flat to regional culture. I guess it does make sense considering I consume an abnormal amount of coastal and British standup. I’ve just learned to inflect the punchline so that people know to laugh if they’re feeling charitable.

Other than that though, to be perfectly honest, I haven’t taken too well to a lot of the urban coastal types I’ve come across. It seems like they’re always putting up a salesperson façade. That said, people from just about every regional culture, generally speaking, are far less flakey than Texans and Southerners, which has been quite refreshing.

Aaanywaaay, I’d tend to go for Centennial (assuming you’re talking about the area east of I-25) over Highlands Ranch. Cherry Creek and Littleton schools haven’t been subject to failing libertarian experiments. A lot of Highlands Ranch homes are right at the age where any build quality issues start rearing their heads, whereas any updated homes in Centennial are most likely good to go. Centennial generally has larger lots and more mature trees. That said, HR really does seem pretty nice as far as master planned communities go. It has a far superior trail system and much better views than Centennial.
I agree with this post. I'm a fan of Highlands Ranch though. I like how consistent it is and the trails are wonderful. Great location and quiet, though I've heard the schools aren't the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 PM
 
178 posts, read 102,191 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
I can so relate to what you are saying about costs of housing in Denver for what you get.
Agreed. I live in a sweet 1930's cottage in a desirable residential neighborhood in Denver. Two bedrooms, one bath on the main level. A finished basement with a living room, another bedroom, a laundry room and a couple of small storage rooms. So basically, a 3/2, with 1+/1 in the basement.

This sweet little cottage is worth close to 800K. We bought it 5 years ago for 490K.

Because Denver has become so hip, and because there's a shockingly low inventory in Colorado (a nearby town of 20,000 has all of 3 homes for sale currently) real estate prices are through the roof. Coastal prices in an area with flyover-country salaries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2021, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Berkeley, Denver, CO USA
15,690 posts, read 23,596,029 times
Reputation: 26930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
[Our]sweet little cottage is worth close to 800K. We bought it 5 years ago for 490K.
...Coastal prices in an area with flyover-country salaries.
Nope.
Our daughter + husband paid $405K 3 years ago and make “coastal” money. $400K+.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 PM
 
85 posts, read 18,119 times
Reputation: 75
I work in the building industry. The permitting process is slow, the workers are slow and inexperienced, and everything is more expensive to build and builders can’t find labor. That’s it, there is nothing whatsoever hip about Denver. I travel the country and most people have never even been here, it’s not on anyone’s radar, except for potheads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Berkeley, Denver, CO USA
15,690 posts, read 23,596,029 times
Reputation: 26930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
...Denver. I travel the country and most people have never even been here, it’s not on anyone’s radar, except for potheads.
Just a silly, nonsensical comment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2021, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,896 posts, read 7,210,883 times
Reputation: 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
I work in the building industry. The permitting process is slow, the workers are slow and inexperienced, and everything is more expensive to build and builders can’t find labor. That’s it, there is nothing whatsoever hip about Denver. I travel the country and most people have never even been here, it’s not on anyone’s radar, except for potheads.
Having been on the inspection side of things, I'm pretty sure it's contractor leaderships' job to whine and deflect blame. They say the same things no matter where in the world you are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:01 AM
 
15,105 posts, read 7,819,902 times
Reputation: 14087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orghiplove View Post
Highlands Ranch versus Centennial. Looking to relocate from NYC with 3 kids. Partners work would be in highlands ranch and also travel to/from airport regularly. I’ve done a fair amount of research on these two towns and personally prefer Centennial, but many seem to love Highlands Ranch. I would love some input on schools and general community vibe. Thank you!
I prefer Centennial to Highlands Ranch. I like that it has mature trees and isn’t as cookie cutter. It’s also more central. Schools in both places are good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
23,306 posts, read 14,566,561 times
Reputation: 35969
Well, one thing I would say is that the number of people in this thread who have mentioned they are transplants from the Northeast is reflected in reality, at least in my experience. I live in the Central Park neighborhood and quite a large percentage of people here are out of state transplants.

I think that says something about the people who choose to live in one of Denver's residential neighborhoods vs. in a more traditional suburb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top