U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2021, 07:24 AM

21 posts, read 10,895 times

Advertisements

Looking for more specific info on these 3 towns. Any insight is helpful. Which town is the/has the....

-safest
-most family friendly/oriented
-best library with kids in mind
-best schools in terms of opportunities and care from teachers and community
-best opportunities for music education
-best bike and running paths
-best resale value
-best community vibe(i.e. annual town events etc)
-has the most independent and/or healthy option restaurants
-has independent bookstores (with children’s books in mind as well as adults)
-offers recreation activities for kids such as pools/tennis/soccer/basketball
-is most welcoming to transplants(specifically at high school level)

And lastly, I’m curious about the homeless situation for each of these towns. How normal is it to see encampments in either of these towns or just a general homeless population? I am not meaning to be insensitive in any way, but have read about Denver having a higher homeless population than most other cities and am wondering how that affects the surrounding suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 12:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 10,689,128 times
There is a difference between what is in the Littleton City limits and what just has a Littleton postal code. Littleton is a real town with history and sense of place. They have (in normal years) almost everything that's on your list. Littleton school district is a good district; my kids went there but it's been many years. Littleton has a great little downtown.

Highlands Ranch is a sprawling non-city that feels more like cookie-cutter suburbia. They do have a great parks and rec district. Do a forum search because there were some recent posts about Highlands Ranch and Centennial.

Centennial doesn't really feel like a "town" because it was just a whole lot of land that was incorporated in 2001 to resist being annexed into Aurora. Covers many different areas of housing (new and old), commercial, industrial, etc. Look at the Centennial city limits on a map to get an idea of how spread out it is.

I think they are all safe and free from homeless encampments.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:51 PM

1,401 posts, read 934,351 times
HR is newer and better planned than the other two. It has great open space trails, bike paths and HOA funded rec centers that the other two would be jealous of.
Littleton has a cute downtown.
Out south you will not find much, if any independent book stores and only a few independent restaurants.

We enjoyed our time in HR. Went to Littleton to eat out or attend a festival. Centennial is sort of meh with not as much to offer.

We thought HR was the friendliest place we lived in the metro area out of our places in mid town, Lowry, Wash Park and Mayfair.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 AM

73 posts, read 42,757 times
Highlands Ranch is our favorite of what you listed. It does feel like an endless suburbia but that doesn’t bother us. We appreciate the nice roads, cleanliness, amazing trails, and four rec centers throughout the city. It was thoughtfully developed. Good public schools were an absolute must for us as well as safety which it has. I think resell value would be good on any of these cities. From what our agent shared, Californians are driving up the price so yes lots of transplants. We bought a house a month ago and it’s already went up 7%. Personally, I have not seen any homeless people in any of these cities, not to say that homelessness doesn’t exist. Lastly, our neighbors have been welcoming. There are Coloradans that blame transplants for the direction that the state is going and are frustrated but I think that happens everywhere.

Last edited by CaliforniaNative2; 02-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 02-09-2021, 10:49 AM

4,530 posts, read 2,285,599 times
Keep in mind that these areas are in 3 completely different school districts.

I have seen homeless in Littleton, in the shopping center parking lots near the historic downtown area. I think you can encounter them almost anywhere in the Denver suburbs, maybe not large groups, but the odd two or three. When we moved here I was very surprised at the numbers of homeless or panhandlers that I saw in what I considered to be very nice newer areas. We moved from the Baltimore area and that was not seen in the nice suburban areas there. It was a shock. I thought it was a western city thing.

If I were to relocate to one of these areas, I would probably choose the Centennial area between University and 25. I like the older lived-in look, the lots tend to be larger, and we seem to be there all the time. Just a personal preference.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:58 AM

1,401 posts, read 934,351 times
Regarding the homeless, you tend to see them close to the light rail line which I assume brings them south.
There was also a small encampment off Highlands Ranch Blvd, just west of University. They were living in a culvert and had it all spray painted with graffiti. They made the mistake of putting out some clothes to dry one day and they were spotted by neighbors. The sheriffs drove them off, but you could still see the graffiti until the weeds got high enough to block it.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:43 AM

370 posts, read 539,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I have seen homeless in Littleton, in the shopping center parking lots near the historic downtown area.
I happen to live in an apartment with a balcony that is overlooking one of those very parking lots. Yes, because Old Town Littleton (the historic downtown area) has a good public transit hub (both light rail and bus) immediately within, borders the Platte River (where encampments do periodically spring up, not visible from Old Town), and is also is near many services in Arapahoe County that homeless people require, there will be homeless people in the area.

With that said, I have NEVER been approached or pan-handled by anyone. Okay, not entirely true, I've had the odd person at the light rail ask if I have a cigarette I could give them, but that's about it. I do not feel unsafe walking around my neighborhood, and I'm out walking regularly. Honestly, I'm more bothered by people who don't live in the area wandering in and out of stores and restaurants, refusing to mask up and utterly disrespecting the health of the residents, shopkeepers, chefs, etc. of the area more so than by homeless folks. And once away from the immediate core, the homeless in the area really aren't that visible. I do see them often near our building, sure, but I AM in the immediate core, between the apartments and businesses in our building, we likely have PRIME dumpster diving, and there are a few spots where people might rest out of the bitterly cold wind in the winter. I don't begrudge any of that; it's a tradeoff for being able to walk to most of the amenities you've noted.

I would definitely look in the area around Old Town Littleton. Southeast of the immediate downtown area (east of the light rail, south of Littleton Blvd) is very much a transitioning area, with million dollar homes being built within a block of homes built in the 50's that have had complete interior renovations, to places that are, well, a bit rough around the edges. Transitioning.

Good luck with your search!

Old Today, 08:33 AM

21 posts, read 10,895 times
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver