U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 05:32 PM

15,670 posts, read 23,569,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Highlands Ranch has a town center
Just because the developer calls it a town center does not make it one.
Littleton has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Golden has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Boulder has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Arvada has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 06:00 PM

17 posts, read 5,701 times
My neighborhood has tall mature trees, Expo Park Aurora. My front yard is very shaded, I don’t have to water as much as others in the metro do, but I’m thinking of xeriscaping my yard only because the water shortage is getting worse and worse with all these new people moving here.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:57 PM

1,431 posts, read 947,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Just because the developer calls it a town center does not make it one.
Littleton has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Golden has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Boulder has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
Arvada has a town center, Highlands Ranch does not.
I get what you are saying. HR does not have an old city center, but it does have a space for concerts, farmer’s markets, a gathering place, if you will.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:59 PM

5,304 posts, read 10,701,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You can navigate by the sun, too, which you can almost always see during the day. I agree with the rest of your comment, though.

If you've seen suburban Albuquerque on Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, it looks very much like suburban Denver.
Well, then you must not be a Denver native. Dave's statement is absolutely true. It's funny when people from Colorado go to Salt Lake City and the mountains are on the EAST side of the city. People from Denver get very confused.

Agree with Dave Barnes -- Highlands Ranch Town Center is just a big shopping mall built in 2004. Not quite the same as downtown Littleton that dates from the late nineteen century.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:32 PM

2,101 posts, read 1,064,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, then you must not be a Denver native.
I was born in Denver, raised in Denver, and lived in Denver almost all my life.

Maybe having more than one way of finding my bearings explains how I've managed to get around in other places.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 02-14-2021 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 947,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, then you must not be a Denver native. Dave's statement is absolutely true. It's funny when people from Colorado go to Salt Lake City and the mountains are on the EAST side of the city. People from Denver get very confused.

Agree with Dave Barnes -- Highlands Ranch Town Center is just a big shopping mall built in 2004. Not quite the same as downtown Littleton that dates from the late nineteen century.
You guys crack me up. So age determines whether a city has a center or not? Ok. Downtown Littleton is also a retail area, just older. HR’s center isn’t a “mall”. It has a big amphitheater, parks, walking spaces, retail, civic buildings...it’s just newer.
Where’s downtown Aurora, Sheridan, Westminister, North Glenn? They are all older than Highlands Ranch.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:16 PM

7,371 posts, read 11,681,807 times
I think the grass here tends to be Kentucky Bluegrass. It browns up nicely in the fall, and it doesn't green up 'til early April. If you don't water it, it dies.

Here's a shot from a man-made greenbelt in Greenwood Village.

Here are some good examples of what the natural setting of Denver looks like.

Bluffs Regional Park in Lone Tree

Mount Falcon Park looking toward Red Rocks.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:59 AM

212 posts, read 152,031 times
Yeah dude, it’s winter time.

Our green season is pretty short, luckily water is cheap here so you can make a lawn look nice
My neighborhood in Lakewood is very green with mature trees. Right now it’s brown and ugly though!

It won’t ever be the east coast out here. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2021, 02:19 PM

5,304 posts, read 10,701,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You guys crack me up. So age determines whether a city has a center or not? Ok. Downtown Littleton is also a retail area, just older. HR’s center isn’t a “mall”. It has a big amphitheater, parks, walking spaces, retail, civic buildings...it’s just newer.
Where’s downtown Aurora, Sheridan, Westminister, North Glenn? They are all older than Highlands Ranch.
No, not at all.

You may recall that Dave listed Littleton, Boulder, Golden, and Arvada. There's a reason why he didn't list Aurora, Sheridan, Westminster and Northglenn. It's not just the age of the city, but its history. The four that Dave listed grew up around an established downtown/retail/civic area, and the others didn't. Perhaps it's all in the perception of what a "city center" is.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:05 PM

66 posts, read 14,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orghiplove View Post
From browsing Zillow, it seems that most homes have brown grass, some artificial, and a few have actual green grass. Is the green grass seasonal, specific to certain suburbs, or dependent on owners constantly watering their lawns? If it’s the latter of the three, how expensive does the watering become?
All grass is seasonal, even in Tennessee. I think the thick blue-grass probably needs watering daily in July-Sept.

I love the looks of evergreens with tall brown grass underneath, but that's more of a natural look that I see in the outskirts of Castle Rock. For some reason they didn't plant a lot of evergreens in Denver, so the trees look quite pitiful most of the year.

Denver is a lot like a Valley city (think Phoenix or LA), beautiful natural periphery but dry and flat where everyone lives.

I think Highlands ranch and everything south of there has a different look to it that Is much better.

Last edited by Denverpro; 02-15-2021 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver