U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:31 PM

5,136 posts, read 4,610,282 times

Advertisements

Phoenix surprised me honestly. First one to come up after other Colorado areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 06:24 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,491,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bugs.
Hurricanes.
Florida government.
Close to Georgia.
Gators.
Pythons.

Jacksonville: Estimated per capita income in 2019: $30,780
Denver: Estimated per capita income in 2019: $47,802

Rent is more in Denver, but only by $300/month.

P.S. Did I mention bugs?
Add mosquitos, palmetto bugs, I-95, New Yawrkers, mold, mildew, terrible swampy drinking water.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:03 PM

9,440 posts, read 18,039,179 times
Another Floridian looking to relocate to Denver in 5 or so years here. The Front Range's relatively mild and sunny winters are a big draw compared to other places on our short list like Portland, OR. (I grew up in Michigan; I don't miss winters where you don't see the sun from November through March) Arizona's too hot save for Flagstaff, Texas is the boring and slightly more hostile version of Florida, the interesting parts of California are even more expensive than Denver. Salt Lake City is pretty livable within town proper but I want at least a purple state for the next stop and Utah will never be that.

I like the idea of no longer having to worry about hurricanes- Hurricane Michael came way too close to us and was bad enough to end any thought of staying down here after retirement- and outdoor recreation options that are very different than what we have now. I live 40 feet above sea level right now and that's considered to be 'up the hill'. I like the idea of not feeling trapped in the house after 10:00am all summer long because of the heat.

If you're of working age, Florida still operates under a 'we pay you in sunshine' mentality even as housing costs have more than doubled over the past 20 years. We were fortunate to buy our house in 2001 when real estate was cheap; while we could still afford to buy it now at current prices, it would involve a ton of compromises in the rest of the household spending including a big cut to the fun budget.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:22 PM

1,466 posts, read 988,650 times
You may give up hurricanes, but you’ll get hail in return. Watch what you wish for.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You may give up hurricanes, but you’ll get hail in return. Watch what you wish for.
We get that down here too. When my sister lived in SW Georgia not too far from us, the insurance company bought her a new roof because of hail storm damage. Also tornadoes, wildfires- though not as quickly spreading as out west because our dew points never get that low, destructive wildlife including dumpster-diving black bears and giant insane wild boars and lakes that you couldn't swim in even if they didn't have gators and water moccasins because of the brain-eating amoebas.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 988,650 times
I’ve seen Front Range hail that took snow plows to remove. Everything from pea size to tennis ball size. It may not happen often, but when it does it can take out cars, roofs, siding, windows....
I lived on the Front Range for almost 25 years. I never had an auto accident claim, but I had two hail damage claims.
It is one reason why auto insurance is higher for Front Range cities.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 PM

15,779 posts, read 23,727,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Another Floridian looking to relocate to Denver in 5 or so years here.
Save up your pennies.
The spread in house prices will only increase between Niceville and Denver.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Save up your pennies.
The spread in house prices will only increase between Niceville and Denver.
Not necessarily because of land scarcity issues down here- government owns about 95% of the land south of I-10 where people want to live because it's reasonably close to the Gulf and reasonably far from Alabama and as long as Eglin AFB is still around, it's one of the more stable real estate markets in Florida.

Despite Denver's recent price hikes, it's still cheaper than us moving close to the beach in these parts.

And Colorado Springs is not an option because it's essentially here but with mountains and we need more of a cultural change. Maybe Fort Collins though- seems like it hits a lot of things on the list for us. Husband would love Boulder but we couldn't be cash buyers there so that's out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver