U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,949,297 times

Advertisements

I had not seen such a good review of metro area moves both ways before. Interesting to me how few moved to NYC or Chicago from here. Also interesting net moves here from the big cities of Texas since all of them are known as huge relocation magnets.

https://kdvr.com/news/leaving-denver...high-city/amp/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 12:22 PM

23,148 posts, read 42,352,141 times
The #1 place people left Denver for was COLO SPGS. I suspect it's the lower housing costs down there that prompted most moves.

The added lanes to I-25 will make commuting between the two cities a bit better when those lanes are finished.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,341,804 times
Any guesses on how long before all the empty space along I-25 between Denver and Colo Sprgs fills in?

Old 02-20-2021, 12:41 PM

23,148 posts, read 42,352,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Any guesses on how long before all the empty space along I-25 between Denver and Colo Sprgs fills in?
Most of that space is the Greenland Open Space, with covenants on that land which forbid any development.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:33 PM

2,281 posts, read 6,079,144 times
The Boulder to Denver migration is interesting, but I’m not surprised. People likely moved to Denver for jobs and cheaper housing and/or it’s out-migration from CU-Boulder. It’s a little weird to me that Boulder is still treated as its own Metro area, although I understand that this is based on the Census and Census definitions.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,341,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Most of that space is the Greenland Open Space, with covenants on that land which forbid any development.
I didn't know that. Thanks Mike!

Old 02-22-2021, 02:13 PM

2,550 posts, read 1,639,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I had not seen such a good review of metro area moves both ways before. Interesting to me how few moved to NYC or Chicago from here. Also interesting net moves here from the big cities of Texas since all of them are known as huge relocation magnets.

https://kdvr.com/news/leaving-denver...high-city/amp/
I don't understand how these figures mesh with the overall increase in population in the metropolitan area. There have to be far more people net moving to the Denver area to account for a 15-20% increase in population. The bulk of that increase cannot be from births or international immigration alone, and the other explanation cannot be that they are all coming from rural areas. Anecdotally, it seemed like many people I encountered working in hotels and restaurants came from the Midwest—Michigan and Wisconsin well-represented.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM

109 posts, read 33,376 times
I find it interesting that KS net migration is so low. This has also been my observation that people in KS don't pay much attention to Denver based on when I visited there once and also on how few people I meet from there. I meet plenty of people from the state of Kansas, but not KS.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,949,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't understand how these figures mesh with the overall increase in population in the metropolitan area. There have to be far more people net moving to the Denver area to account for a 15-20% increase in population. The bulk of that increase cannot be from births or international immigration alone, and the other explanation cannot be that they are all coming from rural areas. Anecdotally, it seemed like many people I encountered working in hotels and restaurants came from the Midwest—Michigan and Wisconsin well-represented.
The article mentions it covers 4 years, from 2014-2018. During that time Denver metro area grew about 7%. Some of it was likely organic from births in the area and the article only covers the 50 metros with the highest migration counts. There are around 300 metro and micro areas in the country so some of the growth is likely to come from areas not included, plus international net migration plays a small role too.

The data I found most interesting was from non-Colorado metros. Every bigger city sees most of the moves coming to and from its nearest metros normally, but the appeal or lack of it from more distant metros is most interesting. Like the fact that Jacksonville, just to take a random example, is much more likely to send people here than to there. Everyone talks about how big a pull warm weather and water access are, plus Jax has a lower cost of living and no state income tax, yet the moves at least between the two cities are weighted this way. Or that all the noted Florida metros are net sending people this way.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:30 PM

15,778 posts, read 23,727,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Jacksonville
Bugs.
Hurricanes.
Florida government.
Close to Georgia.
Gators.
Pythons.

Jacksonville: Estimated per capita income in 2019: $30,780
Denver: Estimated per capita income in 2019: $47,802

Rent is more in Denver, but only by $300/month.

P.S. Did I mention bugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver