Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 18,831 times

Advertisements

I need some advice and help, thinking about trying out Denver, any private owners that allow big dogs? If finding jobs hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 01:11 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman89 View Post
Is finding jobs hard?
What type of jobs?

Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 PM

I have a wide background from grocery store, tax prep, asst manager at gas station, shift leader at donut donuts, screening for covid, checking patients in. Also, received my MBA right when COVID hit so it pause everything.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:44 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I highly highly advise you to come with several thousand in the bank to hold you over while you find a job.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Quote:
I have a wide background from grocery store, tax prep, asst manager at gas station, shift leader at donut donuts, screening for covid, checking patients in. Also, received my MBA right when COVID hit so it pause everything.
None of these jobs need a Bachelor's Degree, much less an MBA.

Like another poster stated "Bring cash, and lots of it"

Old 06-22-2021, 09:17 AM

I know I’m looking to start a career

Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
I know I’m looking to start a career
I know people seem to be unhelpful but you need to really make sure it’s a good idea to move to Denver. It’s expensive and if you are not a white collar or IT professional who’ll be making good money, you may struggle. Rent is high, house ownership might not even be possible. And all for what really? If you are a die hard skier, snowboarder, rock climber or avid hiker,’there are other places out there you can make it work. If you aren’t into these things you’ll be paying premium to live in Denver which is not even in the mountains. Geographically it’s in plains. Without enough money you won’t be able to enjoy any of these things. Don’t assume that you’ll just get into it when you move there. All these hobbies cost money.

If you are set to move, make sure you have a job lined up. There are also breed restrictions. So read up about them. I used to rent a place in Denver. I never allowed large dogs, even though myself have an ACD mix. Apartments have large margins and they can recarpet every year, me? Original hardwood… so not going to happen.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:59 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I know people seem to be unhelpful but you need to really make sure it’s a good idea to move to Denver. It’s expensive and if you are not a white collar or IT professional who’ll be making good money, you may struggle. Rent is high, house ownership might not even be possible. And all for what really? If you are a die hard skier, snowboarder, rock climber or avid hiker,’there are other places out there you can make it work. If you aren’t into these things you’ll be paying premium to live in Denver which is not even in the mountains. Geographically it’s in plains. Without enough money you won’t be able to enjoy any of these things. Don’t assume that you’ll just get into it when you move there. All these hobbies cost money.

If you are set to move, make sure you have a job lined up. There are also breed restrictions. So read up about them. I used to rent a place in Denver. I never allowed large dogs, even though myself have an ACD mix. Apartments have large margins and they can recarpet every year, me? Original hardwood… so not going to happen.
I do agree with much of your post. OP needs to plan a visit if he's never been here. Scout out apartment rents, and realize that the further from the mountains you are the cheaper it will typically be. This isn't a place to move if you're looking for a career in retail or you don't have a viable cash reserve.

OP could move to somewhere else, but IMNSHO Denver has the best combination of amenities and access to outdoor recreation in the Intermountain West. SLC is closer to the outdoors, but a) it's not a whole lot cheaper than Denver, and b) it's a significant step down wrt to urbanity, diversity, and non-outdoor-related amenities. SLC proper is less than 1/3 the population of Denver proper, and it's so white it's a mini-Portland.

FWIW, hiking is not all that expensive. I think I've spent maybe $150 on hiking-related gear over the 2-3 years. Granted, I don't winter hike (yet), so I've no need for an ice ax, crampons, gaiters, balaclava, etc, but I do own a nice jacket and a pair of Kahtoola microspikes.

Last but not least, the bolded is no longer an issue. Denver and Aurora both repealed their BSL. I believe Lone Tree is the only city that still has one.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 06-22-2021 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver