U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,613 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I love the community on this website. You all seem very helpful and Denver seems like a fantastic place to live. I am moving from Seattle and am excited for a change (waiting for future position to open up in Denver).

My Wife and I (Both 26) are looking to start a family soon and are looking for a great area with like aged/minded young families. I know Highlands Ranch has great community and schools, but are there any additional areas we should be looking? Wife will likely be a stay at home mom while raising kids. Once they begin school she may revisit working.

The planning of Highlands is very attractive. I love the trails between developments and the rec centers throughout, as well as the numerous parks.

I work in medical device sales so I will be traveling throughout Colorado frequently. I don't need quick access to the airport as I would mainly be driving throughout the state. Generally my job takes me to various medical centers, hospitals, and nursing homes as call points, but my "office" would be at home.

Are there any additional recommended areas that we should be looking?

Top Priorities: Price Range - Up to $750k

Space - Moderate sized home + Yard (1/4 acre, 3000 sqft.), 4-5 bed
Schools - High rated schools
Accessibility - to Denver and other cities in the state
Community - Friendliness of neighbors/community events

Thanks so much in advance for your recommendations. I look forward to reviewing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 11:03 AM

189 posts, read 117,611 times
That's a lot of desired bedrooms and square footage for $750K... I'll add, home prices are going through the roof in Colorado right now due to low inventory. Highlands Ranch went up over 9% in the last year.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:14 AM

18,016 posts, read 23,508,095 times
The only advice I can give you is that you need to be fully qualified for a mortgage when you are ready to buy. Homes sell in hours and way over asking price by cash buyers. I think your budget is low for what you are looking for in that area. You may need to look somewhere else in Denver. We paid $400k for a 1800 sq ft house on 9000sq ft lot a year ago. It's now worth $450k.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:23 AM

15,917 posts, read 23,936,455 times
Zillow says there are ZERO houses that meet your criteria in Highlands Ranch.
$750K, 1/4 acre, 3000 sqft, 4 beds.
Lot size is the killer.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:46 AM

1,279 posts, read 778,009 times
You might need to consider moving further out. Here's a house that ticks off your requirements but the schools are average. However, this school district has a lot of charter schools available. It's a beautiful neighborhood but it is further south in Parker:

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Parker/745.../home/35220086

You will have to give something up on your list. Inventory here is so low that houses get snapped up quickly.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:17 PM

23,254 posts, read 42,530,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
... Lot size is the killer.
Agree. Without that lot size there are 18 homes in HR that are 3000+ sq ft and 4BR --- but only 9 homes if 5 BRs is the "must have."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,613 times
Thanks for the insight, all. the 1/4 acre lot isn't massively important or a deal breaker. We would just prefer not to be stacked on top of our neighbors. I know a lot of developments in HR are like this but I have seen a few homes with decent yards as well. Just not sure how common that is.

4 bedroom is fine if there's a loft or office space. If we were moving tomorrow, I'd already have an offer on this house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...13450727_zpid/

Old 02-26-2021, 03:28 PM

618 posts, read 1,195,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDenverRes View Post

4 bedroom is fine if there's a loft or office space. If we were moving tomorrow, I'd already have an offer on this house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...13450727_zpid/
...and that house is already under contract

As others have mentioned, it is pretty tough to find 1/4 or more out in the exurbs of Denver. Castle Rock and Parker have a similar community feel, but HR definitely feels "better planned and cohesive" as a community.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 13,922 times
Just be ready to offer over listing price, and as soon as a house hits the MLS tour it! Usually Thursdays most houses hit the market, but be prepared for disappointment as there is very little inventory in the metro and it’s been like that for years.
I recently closed on a house after months of looking, I was outbidded multiple times with cash offers, and my mortgage broker who I’m personally friends with, told me sellers are now wanting bidding wars!
I can’t speak on HR, it’s way too cookie cutter for my liking, but it also seems a lot of the houses down there have smaller lots, then again I could be wrong. If you want a bigger yard, be open to older neighborhoods I.e. western Aurora as they seem to have more yard space compared to newer developments.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:51 PM

11,505 posts, read 31,253,690 times
I had a third of an acre with a cul de sac walkout, but those are in the 800 range now.

4 beds and a study are easy to find.

Wildcat, Lone Tree or Castle Pines maybe sterling ranch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver