U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 AM

21 posts, read 15,979 times

Advertisements

We bought in the Cherry Creek school district in the past year, just to be in their school district. Though we are in the lowest rated high schools boundary, Overland, I am very pleased with the education my 2 high school students are receiving over DPS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM

1,914 posts, read 4,377,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I don’t see this in Colorado.
You want peer pressure?
Bronx Science
TJ in NOVA
Weston, MA
Etc.

Yes of course you can't compete with specialized magnet schools that draw the best from around the region.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

3,988 posts, read 7,308,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
This is very true and lots of schools keep these internal metrics very close to the vest and don't share willingly, but it doesn't hurt to ask (ie ask for average AP test scores for say Calc BC, CCHS might be 4.128, etc).

Again think about things such as IB/AP, dual enrollment options, extracurricular, etc. CCHS does not do class ranking, but it hasn't hurt kids getting into Ivies, couple of my son's friends are heading off to Harvard, one to MIT, several to Stanford. 50 kids this year alone in CCHS are National Merits, if you are surrounded by driven kids the hope is that peer pressure will also drive you to success.
It's really good to hear that a school like CCHS isn't doing class rankings. I guarantee a lot of those kids would miss out on so many opportunities if they (or more likely their whip-cracking parents) were all clambering to be at the top of the rankings. Between that and making the admissions' officers rely on more holistic measures, no ranking probably really helps with the college admissions. Unfortunately, Texas has admissions laws based on class rankings, so even in my relatively podunk magnet program, the top 10% had GPAs above 4.4 or so, and a lot of kids (including me) skipped out on opportunities in order to take weighted electives (ones where an A counted as a 5.0). Many high schools like CCHS had 100-point GPA scales, and the top of the class were practically automotons.

I remember for the Stanford, Cornell, and Rice applications, the counsellor had to check a box specifying whether the student was on the "most rigorous academic track" or something to that effect, and IB is considered more rigorous than AP.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

1,914 posts, read 4,377,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It's really good to hear that a school like CCHS isn't doing class rankings. I guarantee a lot of those kids would miss out on so many opportunities if they (or more likely their whip-cracking parents) were all clambering to be at the top of the rankings. Between that and making the admissions' officers rely on more holistic measures, no ranking probably really helps with the college admissions. Unfortunately, Texas has admissions laws based on class rankings, so even in my relatively podunk magnet program, the top 10% had GPAs above 4.4 or so, and a lot of kids (including me) skipped out on opportunities in order to take weighted electives (ones where an A counted as a 5.0). Many high schools like CCHS had 100-point GPA scales, and the top of the class were practically automotons.

I remember for the Stanford, Cornell, and Rice applications, the counsellor had to check a box specifying whether the student was on the "most rigorous academic track" or something to that effect, and IB is considered more rigorous than AP.

Yes for a lot of these large well-established high schools there is a lot of data about how the graduates perform in college. From years of experience the admission reps pretty much know going in the process which kids from which high schools will succeed and thrive at their schools. Class ranking is just a small blip in a student's record and especially for a T-20 university they are more focused on the extracurriculars that show off a kid's drive.

GPA and test scores will help you avoid the cut, it's all the other non-academic things that really helps the student get in those elite schools, get full rides, etc. Grade inflation is also an issue at some schools, but these are easily sniffed out by admission reps. Won't name names but I know some local high schools allow grade corrections for all assignments and that is just doing a great disservice to students in the long run.

Yes about Texas, I just read about the nine Valedictorians from the Houston high school. As you said there is a lot of careful planning to reach that, not just getting straight-As but tailoring all your classes. Like you said automatons with their path dictated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver