Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2021, 11:23 AM

824 posts, read 705,332 times

Advertisements

something old
our 15.5 year old 80lb dog passed, it at least it was quick.
-you can have your pet put down at the animal shelter free.
-I decided to do it with more grace and arranged a visit to a local vetrinary Pets on Broadway, very late eveing when it was quiet. They inserted a catheter and administered a medium level setative. Followed by a high level lethal dose. They allowed me to hug the dog during the process. Cost was $150.00.
-I securly wrapped the dog in a 8x8 tarp and drove i25 north to Mead CO to have the dog creamated at Penny Lane. I did not keep the ashes and $80.
-The dog was every part of the household for a decade and a half, the last few years were a struggle.
-Some how chewy.com found out the dog passed away and sent flowers from King Soopers.

I dont represent any of the companies named here, I did my reasearch in anticipation my dog had to be euthenized soon. Just thought they went out of their way to be kind helpful.

something new
The family wanted a small dog, less than 25lbs. I used petharbor.com to locate a rescue dog close to Denver. Other web sites just did not seem that connected. There were quite a few large breed dogs, some looked like a good fit. Being more large dogs there might have been a better selection. A smaller dog was the requirement tho and the search took a month. Everyone in Denver wants a small dog.
-Seems there are people who buy up the more marktable dogs en mass and re sell them.
-Most city shelters have a reservation system, other wise the dog will be gone before you drive to the shelter.
-Local Denver shelters typically have this big delux building but actually have only 5-10 dogs ready for adoption.
-for example if a dog is rated: "not good with children", its not something you can change any time soon. Likely the average pet owner will never be able to upgrade the animal.
-The shelter will not guarantee the previous history for the animal. so some risk. Ask a lot of questions during the shelter, owner, dog interview. I drove to Longmont twice. On the 2nd visit to the Aurora shelter the representive was sharp and familiar with the dog.
-I found one! Not as expected, so some trade offs. Impressive that the dog seemed engaged with the humans, it was afraid /shaking but was not agressive. under fed but but healthy. A 2 year old and 33lbs, little younger larger than i wanted. In searching for a month it was the only small dog i could find. The dog likely went through significant trama, he is none vocal. He is a good house pet but not so with strangers. He may never be friendly except to family. We have had him for 2 months and he has only shown some tiny bit of progress with strangers.

go figure every dog is different. A basset hound is a very strange animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 11:58 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Sorry about the 15 year old. Sounds like s/he had a good life.

Glad you were able to find a shelter. We have always been donors to the Denver Dumb Friends League. It’s a great local organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver