Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,182 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from Denver to Ken Caryl Valley and I’d love to hear about anybody’s experience living in the area.

We are looking for our ‘forever’ home to raise our growing family and from what I’ve read, this area seems to check all the boxes: Great schools, suburban feel in a mountain setting, recreational outdoor activities, proximity to Denver, etc.

My wife and I are in our early 30’s with a 2 year old at home and another baby on the way. While I think it’d be a great area to raise a family long term, my main concern is that we’d be on the younger side if we moved out there now…

My main questions:

1.) What are the demographics like in the area? Is it a mix?

2.) Are there specific neighborhoods within the valley that have a younger family feel? Any areas to stay away from?

For ex. we love the lot sizes in the North Ranch neighborhood but think we may feel out of place given our age. It’s important for us to find a social community where we can mingle and make friends with our neighbors!

3.) Is their a strong sense of community in the valley? Friendly? Activities for adults/kids?

Any and ALL insight into this area is much appreciated!

Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 03:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,596,911 times
BUDGET is the big question. Do both of you work full-time?

North Ranch has or had a rep as being the more exclusive part.

Not much was for sale in KC even way, way back before the bizarre RE bubble ballooning up in the Front Range.

So not mentioning budget means you left out THE most important thing to consider.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:49 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardj View Post
My wife and I are in our early 30’s
30s
Brought to You by the Committee to Save the Apostrophe from Abuse

Old 05-13-2021, 03:57 PM

@pikeabike Thank you for the response. I work fulltime and my wife is a stay at home mother. I left out my budget intentionally as we can afford up to a $1.5m house which should allow us to live in any of the neighborhoods within the KC valley. Therefore, it isn't the biggest consideration personally.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:31 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,276,866 times
It is a very warm welcoming community. The two house I have sold in north ranch were to people in their 40s buying from people 70+.

I sold KDB homes in the valley 32 years ago.

Search out the community fb page.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 PM

Thank you for the response! I will definitely search out the community FB page. Great rec.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:50 PM

395 posts, read 435,322 times
It's only diverse if you think white middle/upper-middle class people living in cookie cutter homes can be considered diverse. If you want to AVOID diversity, KC is a good place to go. If you WANT diversity, stick to central Denver. Or, better yet, look outside of Colorado.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:16 PM

277 posts, read 303,582 times
I think it will probably depend on which part of Ken Caryl you buy in -- if you go into the pricier segments, you will definitely find fewer people in your age range / life stage.

We lived in a similarly priced neighborhood to higher end of KC (plus on acreage, so it leaned even older). There were still families with young kids, just fewer (we planned wonderful kids events though) and we met and befriended a lot of neighbors who were older than us. Some of them are still some of our closest friends, despite large age gaps. There were also a lot of people who had slightly older kids (I am 30 now and had my first when we lived there -- a lot of families were in 40s with kids 5+).

When we moved (wanted more land) we rented in a more traditional suburb while our house was undergoing some renovations. It had lots of families in our age range, and I hated it. I felt like I had more in common with our older neighbors.

All to say - I wouldn't rule out an area you like due to not exactly matching the age demographic.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,148 times
If you’re still wondering, I highly recommend the Ken Caryl area. You really can’t go wrong. We are in our 30’s with young kids and just wanted a different life (we moved to the country in Montana for more space).

There are a ton of families similar to what you seem to be based on your description. To answer your specific questions…

Demographics. Upper middle class to wealthy in Ken Caryl with pockets of middle class neighborhoods sprinkled in. As far as race goes, it’s predominantly white. Tons of churches of various denominations. Fantastic public schools (teacher here and loved JEFFCO Schools).

Is there a strong sense of community? Yes. Absolutely. Really good people all around the area. Plus, it’s close to pretty much any activity you can think of.

I still consider myself a Coloradan. I grew up in Ken Caryl, went through the public school system, went off to college, moved back to teach and met my wife and had kids there.

It is expensive but with your range, you’ll be fine. Two teacher salaries don’t really cut it haha.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do, but of all the places I’ve traveled and visited, I’d choose the Ken Caryl area to live every single time if you can afford it.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:56 AM

824 posts, read 695,940 times
the Ken Caryl Valley is not in the center of the valley. Off in the SW corner and would add a few minutes drive time. especially if employment opportunities change.

a $1.5m house budget is more than sufficient and leaves a lot of options no matter where you land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver