U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 AM

14 posts, read 163,333 times

Advertisements

I am planning to visit Colorado in mid August, with Denver being the focus of my trip. However, while I am there, I would like to explore other areas if time allows. I am thinking 5 days total, and before I book my hotel in Denver for 4 nights, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good itinerary for my trip, or hotel recommendations. I am not sure if visiting Boulder or Colorado Springs is possible, and if I go, what kind of touristy things are a must? FYI, I am not a huge adventure seeker, but I do enjoy moderate hikes and scenery. I also enjoy the city life, so I figure Denver would be a good fit. Also, part of the reason why I am visiting Denver is because I am looking to move there in the near future. So if anyone can recommend parts of the city that I should look into, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 AM

180 posts, read 1,027,794 times
If you've never been here or never left Denver before, then places to see as a tourist, I'd have to recommend the normal stuff.

Go to Garden Of The Gods in Colorado Springs, do the drive through, stop for just a couple of pics, then head up to Pikes Peak. That should take a better part of a full day with stops for pictures and stuff.

Another day, go to Boulder, don't stop. Keep going on up to Rocky Mountain National Park and drive through there. If you don't mind a long day, from the park, go up the pass and see the tundra and on over to Granby Lake and back around through Idaho Springs and back to Denver. This will let you see Boulder, see the park, see real high country and also let you experience I70 a little up in the mountains.

With those two things, you'll see Boulder, Colorado Springs, a couple of really nice sights, experience traffic a little and can make some decisions on what to see from there and or see a little bit of Boulder/COS to see if you want to investigate either of those two cities more and using information from here to help possibly make a more informed decision on whether to move here and where to move to here.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Thank you Swampy - I think your recommendations would work out really well. I have never been to Denver (or any other areas) - do you have any recommendations for things to do in Denver?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,422,421 times
Do you like museums? If so, the Science Museum is excellent and the Denver Art Museum (DAM) isn't bad either. Strolling around the area near the DAM might be good - you can visit the Denver Public Library and/or cut across the park to the Capitol Building and take a tour, climb up inside the dome and see the city from the top. Maybe take the trolley bus down 16th (DON'T get off) to LoDo and wander around this funky little neighbourhood, grab something to eat, window-shop and visit the Tattered Cover Bookstore.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM

180 posts, read 1,027,794 times
I don't have anything else really. Was trying to keep it outdoors for you and I really don't think of anything IN Denver as being outdoors cause I don't like traffic or crowds.

The Aquarium is pretty nice in Denver and so is the Botanical Gardens....

In my first post, I was giving you a couple of full day's to see the territory both north and south to give you some idea on what to expect here.

There is a huge expanse of things to see in CO and even just near Denver that are "worth it". For an outdoors person, the 2 days I listed above would be what I'd be doing if I've never been here before with what I know now.

My first trip here was for the Rocky Mountain National Park and with just that, I was hooked. During part of my trip here (with some other people), we were going to get some snow, so we took off to Colorado Springs and checked out Garden Of The Gods and Pike's Peak. That was such an awesome first trip, we moved here.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 AM

I think all your recommendations are great - I do like Museums and I am very interested in checking out Pikes Peak.

I went on Travelocity and Expedia today to check the hotel prices, and it occured to me - should I book all 4-5nights in Denver and drive back and forth? Or is it easier to make a triangle loop down to Colorado Springs, then to Boulder, then back to Denver, staying at each places for 1-2 nights? I am thinking the loop would make more logical sense....

Old 05-14-2008, 02:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,358 posts, read 45,526,539 times
I'd make the loop and stay minimal nights in Denver, but possibly in the heart of one of the target areas, or on the fringe toward one of your destinations.

For time savings, I'd be sure to see Garden of the Gods (very close in to Col Sp. Best at sunrise and sunset) & Golden & Boulder area and close-in rural destinations. I love Rocky Mountain National Park, and Estes (I used to live there as a kid MANY yrs ago) but it can be a long way to see it all. I recommend traveling early in the morning and late at night to optimize travel vs. traffic / quietness / quick access of sights. The days are long in Aug, and weather good. Be sure to get to know locals in any way possible, always ask lots of questions when making transactions or asking for directions, and keep a notebook for comments. Pick up brochures and info on your hobbies (Gardening, photography, hiking) and maybe attend a meeting or call the contact person and chat (or look on-line before going, and contact them to set up a meeting or to get travel ideas)

Rather than spendy and impersonal motels, I would consider Youth Hostels or Guest Homes; each are ~ $20/night (or Bed and breakfasts if you're wealthy, but they are not terribly friendly as hosts have lots to do to keep cash flow high. little time to chat) I really like guest homes as the people are usually contributing your payment to charity & they are very informative for local happenings and "what is it like to live here?" We rarely use hotels / motels, as there are several guest home directories available, and hostels have some interesting locations and tenants. (be prepared...and flexible, you won't forget the experience )

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Default In addition to....

Thank you Janb -

My boyfriend just mentioned about guest homes and hostels to reduce the price of lodging as well - it sounds like a great idea. Do you have any recommendations for particular guest homes (or websites)? I googled "guest homes colorado" but didn't get much.

I will definitely make sure to narrow down my itinerary but only after I talk to more locals and get some more information from this website. It seems like there will be plenty to do for the 4-6 days that I will be there. I'm so excited!

One more question about Colorado - has anyone been to a hot spring? I wasn't sure where in Colorado they're located but if they're not far I would love to visit one (given that it's okay to go in August). I will post this on main website as well...

Last edited by dreamlaw310; 05-14-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,351,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlaw310 View Post
One more question about Colorado - has anyone been to a hot spring? I wasn't sure where in Colorado they're located but if they're not far I would love to visit one (given that it's okay to go in August). I will post this on main website as well...
Colorado Hot Springs directory/map

Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 PM

249 posts, read 966,248 times
I strongly recommend a show at Red Rocks while you're in town - such a great music venue and it's gorgeous with the moon and stars and everything. I love Denver Art Museum and my sister from SF agrees it's one of the best in the country! I'll keep thinking and add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver