Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,944 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move to the south Denver area from Anchorage Alaska in June of 2007. We have been looking into homes in the Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial Areas. Until we can see for ourselves (planning a vacation in March to check it out) my impression of these areas is that they are all one city separted by street signs only. And this would also include Denver itself. My Wife does not want to live in Denver due to the population, but feels that Littleton would be nice. Am I right on my impression or is there some space between cities? Any comments would be appreciated, including tips on other areas to live in the Denver area. We have two children one in grade school and the other starting jr. high schools will be an important point in this move. My research so far has found good shcools in Douglas County and Arapahoe County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,075 times
You are correct. Although Littleton could be distinguished from Denver when I was a kid growing up in the area (a l-o-n-g time ago!), there is no gap whatsoever between the various Denver suburbs and Denver proper any longer. The Denver area is one solid "city" that includes Denver, Aurora, Englewood, Littleton, Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Broomfield, Northglenn, Thornton, Commerce City, etc. There isn't even much of a break (if any) as you travel between Denver and Boulder, although Boulder definitely doesn't have the feel of being "attached" to Denver the way the other suburbs do.

The Denver-metro area covers a good 25 miles in length & width.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:16 AM

210 posts, read 1,344,965 times
Winglady is correct, those cities have all more or less run together. But as they were all at one time separate, distinct cities, the older ones do have old downtown areas from the late 1800s-early 1900s. And you definitely can find your niche and find smaller communities within each of those suburbs, even though you are part of the Denver area. If you want a town that is physically separated from Denver, you could look at Castle Rock, which is south and would be Douglas County schools. But I do think that you can find your own community in Littleton or Centennial if you decide you like either place.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
The metro area is larger than the state on Connecticut. There is not much that differentiates Centennial from Littleton besides the school district. Similar houses, communities...same county. Littleton does have an excellent olde town downtown...Centennial is working on it's identity.

Highlands Ranch is 25 years old and has separation, good schools, 4 rec centers, stores and shops and it is also working on a "main street"...

We are happy to have you join us...what about a commute?

We have middle schools here 7 & 8th grades.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:42 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
We have middle schools here 7 & 8th grades.
At least one of the middle schools is 6th - 8th, which is Rocky Heights. That started with the 2006-2007 school year. I don't know if it will stay that way for the long term, since it seems a move to relieve some of the congestion at the feeder elementary schools.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,944 times
Default One big city

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, I thought that these cities might have all run together. My wifes parents are moving with us also, and the fact that the Denver area has is so large worries them as well as my wife. I will have no problem adjusting to the larger area (I hope) Anchorage is about 250,000 but I am afraid they will.
How about Parker is it still separted by some miles or is it to a suburb? Castle Rock may be a place also that my in-laws would like to look into. I still like Highlands Ranch or Littleton but we will see for sure in March.
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone and thanks for the comments

Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM

210 posts, read 1,344,965 times
Parker used to be separated, and today is barely separated. There's been so much growth there that Parker will essentially be part of the contiguous metro area in the next few years. But it does have a separate identity (more so than Littleton, Centennial, or Highlands Ranch) and that could be another area to consider.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 AM

for a small city seperated from others try Momument. For a city closer to Denver try Golden. If you don't mind just your subdivision being seperated give Ken Caryl in south Jefferson County a look.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,130 times
Aurora and Parker are moving closer together (not a good thing for Parker IMO). Castle Rock does have separation. There is deisgnated open space between Highlands Ranch and Castle Rock that will keep that separation.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 AM

You are correct, Castle Pines is seperated by open space from HR, but Parker runs right into Castle Rock on the east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver