Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Yeah... I moved in here (Los Angeles) last week, right now I'm waist-deep in classes and studying. (I'm on my lunch break right now). I am already looking forward to getting out of here and moving back to Denver (hopefully I'll be able to land a job before I graduate) next May. Not that there aren't things to like about LA, but imo the drawbacks here by far outweigh the advantages. However, I do think I made the right choice about the school. I just don't like where it's located. Glad to hear everybody had a nice time last night.
Vegas: Which school are you in? What burb are you living in? I know a little about L.A., enough to know the areas anyway. My friend goes to USC I think? And she lives in Hollywood. Right off of Sunset Blvd. Not the best area. She says she has to drive 3 hrs. one way to get to school.

ok, surely you've been to the beach, right, right?? Go to Balboa for me. I love Balboa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Lola is easier to access during the week as the weekends can be over crowded. Next week works!
Name your day! I might be bringing a girlfriend. Wed. or Thur.?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Vegas: Which school are you in? What burb are you living in? I know a little about L.A., enough to know the areas anyway. My friend goes to USC I think? And she lives in Hollywood. Right off of Sunset Blvd. Not the best area. She says she has to drive 3 hrs. one way to get to school.
I go to USC, living in the "burb" of South Central LA. Fortunately, I only have to walk about 20 seconds, wait 60 seconds for the walk signal to come on, cross the street, and I'm on campus.

Quote:
ok, surely you've been to the beach, right, right?? Go to Balboa for me. I love Balboa.
Never heard of that before, I looked it up-- is this some kind of "island" in Newport Beach? (I'm assuming you're not referring to Balboa Park in San Diego). Next time I get a chance to go down there I'll check it out.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Vegas: I know exactly where you are. You are about 20 minutes from Balboa (not the park in SD), which equates to 3 hrs. Go on an offbeat time, Wednesday at 2pm. They call it an "island", but it's not really. It's attached to the land. It's also right next to Newport, kind of merges. All the beaches merge somewhat, there aren't any specific markers. This beach has tons of surfers there.

What I'm talking about is the beach, up the ways a little. There is a pier and some really cool spots to hang out in. Look up the Crab Cookery. That's right across the street from the beach and has the cheapest, best seafood ever. Huntington I think it is. It's just up the street from Balboa. Nothing fancy at all, even plastic silverware if I recall, but yum. very fresh. Up the way, there's another beach that has the most fresh sushi ever. It's out on the pier, awesome views.

You could also go to Long Beach instead and catch the ferry to Catalina. Find a girl and spend the weekend. awesome. And I happen to know the ferry leaves from three different spots, so you might not have to go to Long Beach. I just like that area because the Queen Mary is docked there.

ok, I'm officially jealous. I'd live there any day over Denver. But you know where I'm coming from. And I don't think I'd choose to live where you are. : ) But you have a mission, so get it done with and try to have just a tiny bit of fun in the meantime.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,658 times
Quote:
Vegas: I know exactly where you are. You are about 20 minutes from Balboa (not the park in SD), which equates to 3 hrs. Go on an offbeat time, Wednesday at 2pm. They call it an "island", but it's not really. It's attached to the land. It's also right next to Newport, kind of merges. All the beaches merge somewhat, there aren't any specific markers. This beach has tons of surfers there.

What I'm talking about is the beach, up the ways a little. There is a pier and some really cool spots to hang out in. Look up the Crab Cookery. That's right across the street from the beach and has the cheapest, best seafood ever. Huntington I think it is. It's just up the street from Balboa. Nothing fancy at all, even plastic silverware if I recall, but yum. very fresh. Up the way, there's another beach that has the most fresh sushi ever. It's out on the pier, awesome views.

You could also go to Long Beach instead and catch the ferry to Catalina. Find a girl and spend the weekend. awesome. And I happen to know the ferry leaves from three different spots, so you might not have to go to Long Beach. I just like that area because the Queen Mary is docked there.

ok, I'm officially jealous. I'd live there any day over Denver. But you know where I'm coming from. And I don't think I'd choose to live where you are. : ) But you have a mission, so get it done with and try to have just a tiny bit of fun in the meantime.
Just wanted to clarify for VegasPilgrim that Balboa Island will be a bit of a trek from USC. It's about 45 miles, which could translate to at least an hour and a half. It's a great place, though. As a kid, my family would rent an apartment for a week in the summers. Ferry rides, Balboa Bars (Yum!), bike rides, bonfires on the beach, s'mores--Loved it! USC is in a bad area, for sure, but you could hit Pasadena, The Grove in West Hollywood, Venice Beach, Westwood, a concert at the Greek Theater or Hollywood Bowl. I'm leaving all that is familiar soon--will be in Colorado in a month!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 AM

5 posts, read 17,610 times
Quote:
Hi wanttomoveeast and DenverAztec... I see you guys have set up a happy hour???
I moved here 5 weeks ago and I'm so BORED!!!
My husband is on call literally 24/7 and I only have one other friend here... who always seems to be busy.
Can I join you guys sometime?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:21 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Quote:
Either is fine for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasskassadie View Post
Hi wanttomoveeast and DenverAztec... I see you guys have set up a happy hour???
I moved here 5 weeks ago and I'm so BORED!!!
My husband is on call literally 24/7 and I only have one other friend here... who always seems to be busy.
Can I join you guys sometime?
You most certainly can!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Thank You for posting the photos. I really appreciate it. It is so cool to see folks that we read from.

Last edited by Charles; 06-21-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-21-2008, 09:35 AM

380 posts, read 1,228,356 times
I am so bummed I missed this one!! Nice picture! You guys look great.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
That's a great picture. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver