Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Anybody remember the Gibson Jazz Party and concerts? They occurred variously in Denver, Aspen, the Broadmoor, and at Vail during the '60's and '70's. Dick Gibson would invite a group of jazz musicians to perform--Gibson personally grouping them in various combinations. Many had only performed rarely together, if at all--"winging it" without rehearsal. Usually the results were magical--like this jazz tour de force from the 1971 Gibson Jazz Party at the Broadmoor (and, yes, I was at some of those Gibson concerts):
My dad went to many of them in Denver (at the Paramount I believe?) and I went several times as well. The one that stands out in my mind was when he brought in Steve Allen for a piano quartet. Steve was funny of course, but his piano playing was impressive as well. This would have been in the mid to late 80s.

The one my dad raved about though was a bigger guy slouched in a folding metal chair and playing piano seemingly without moving his arms; it was all from the wrist down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 PM

11 posts, read 126,232 times
Most likely the big guy your dad liked was Dave McKenna. He looked more like a large, retired Irish cop than he looked like a "jazz musician".

He was a great favorite of Dick Gibsons and played at many of those Jazz Parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKKIlUOi1Y

Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebrenk View Post
Most likely the big guy your dad liked was Dave McKenna. He looked more like a large, retired Irish cop than he looked like a "jazz musician".

He was a great favorite of Dick Gibsons and played at many of those Jazz Parties.
That may very well be him; my dad's words were, "He looks like a security guard"...

Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 PM

224 posts, read 273,391 times
I spent the summers of 1977 and 1980 with my late grandparents in Denver. I remember the TV commercials for Burger Chef (one ended with two guys in a Jeep: "You feel full?" "I feel full"), Albertson's ("It's Joe Albertson's supermarket, but the [whatever] department is mine"), and Fred Schmidt.

For the person who wanted to know if Shakey's still exists, yep, there are plenty of them here in Los Angeles. They still have the all-you-can-eat lunch special, only it's about $10 now including a soft drink.

Also I remember seeing Denver's fire engines and trucks, which were white (as they were in my hometown of Houston at that time), but with red wheels.

I'll never forget driving up to the top of Pike's Peak and back down with my grandmother and some of her friends and their kids/grandkids. I was impressed with how carefully the driver got us back down.

Every night when the news came on and they showed the sports scores, I would cheer when the Astros won, and groan when they lost.

I also remember the reports from Broncos training camp in 1980, where the big news was the Broncos' acquisition of quarterback Matt Robinson from the New York Jets, in much the same way that the big news in Houston that year was the Oilers' trade of Dan Pastorini to Oakland for Ken Stabler. Super Bowl hopes were running big in both Denver and Houston as a result of their new quarterback acquisitions. Of course we all know how that went in both cities.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM

224 posts, read 273,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Anybody remember the Gibson Jazz Party and concerts? They occurred variously in Denver, Aspen, the Broadmoor, and at Vail during the '60's and '70's. Dick Gibson would invite a group of jazz musicians to perform--Gibson personally grouping them in various combinations. Many had only performed rarely together, if at all--"winging it" without rehearsal. Usually the results were magical--like this jazz tour de force from the 1971 Gibson Jazz Party at the Broadmoor (and, yes, I was at some of those Gibson concerts):

Carl Fontana - Emily (1971) - YouTube

Colorado Jazz Party - Clark Terry - Sep 1971 201 Clark Terry, Flip Phillips Just Squeeze Me - YouTube

Gibson's 1998 obit from the NY Times:

Dick Gibson, Jazz Producer And Fan, 72 - NYTimes.com

Anybody remember that WaterPik started in Fort Collins?

Does anyone remember what Denver's jazz station was during the late '70s and early '80s? My grandfather listened to that station exclusively whenever we went riding in his Lincoln Continental. I was a rock fan at the time, but I believe I got my current love of jazz from him.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
Does anyone remember what Denver's jazz station was during the late '70s and early '80s? My grandfather listened to that station exclusively whenever we went riding in his Lincoln Continental. I was a rock fan at the time, but I believe I got my current love of jazz from him.
I believe my dad listened to jazz on Public Radio so probably KCFR or KVOA

Old 03-21-2014, 06:33 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
KADX!

If I recall they cranked up around 1974 and was around for the better half of a decade. One of the dj's (can't remember which one) would get on a CTI/KUDU label kick and play an hour or more of recent releases on those labels Creed Taylor had a hand in, people from Eric Gale to John Hammond to Hubert Laws to Grover Washington, etc., etc. Other dj's would be all over the board regarding their playlists; Coltrane, T Monk, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, and on and on and on! It was a great station!

I knew a few of the employees at that station, Jack Winter and John Rezabek are two that come to mind. Another is a guy who needs no introduction to jazz music in the Denver area-Tom Burns. He had a weekly program on the station in the mid 1980's and also owned Jazz Record Revival on So. Broadway for most of the 1980's. Very well read on jazz, had his own label as well-Capri Records. And a SUPER individual as well!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,820 times
I've been reading this forum for years, but have never posted.

Quote:
I think Santiago's on leetsdale was a big top also
Santiago's used to be a Dari-Delite. The Big Top was the next building to the east. (I lived up the concrete hill)

Quote:
you are correct. it was a big top. i stopped a robbery there in 1973 when my dad sent me down to buy him so cigs. he was a fireman at station 19's at alameda and holly.
Same place as above. That's where I bought my first Playboys (along with Alan Eber Drug across Leetsdale)

Quote:
I worked at theDrumstick at colfax and locust. We had no milkshakes, but the chicken was bomb... We even had extra crispy before KFC did
I never worked there, but several of my friends did back in the early 70s. Mark, Julie & Charlotte.

Good god, my Denver memories could go on for pages...

A few highlights...

Ebbets Field in Brooks Tower for concerts. Of COURSE Red Rocks (a part of Denver despite its locale). Rainbow Music Hall. Mammoth Gardens. (Too Young for The Family Dog - now PT's on Evans). Mahrharbour...only a few would know the last...

Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Loved KADX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
KADX!
If I recall they cranked up around 1974 and was around for the better half of a decade.
They died one morning in late 1981.
I was driving north on I25 and at the top of hour the format changed.
Talk about a shock.
Then anger.
The, sadly, acceptance.

Hours of reading fun at http://donbishop.net/7128.html

Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Anybody remember the name of BBQ place off Alameda and Pierce St in Lakewood where the Home Depot is at now? It used to be across the street from Villa Italia mall and the roller skate rink. The entrance had a big bullhead mounted on top of a wooden post.

First post, but read the forums off and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver