Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
Is this the chicken place that was located in the south-east corner of the JCRS shopping center? I remember Mom wanting to take me there for a birthday dinner. When we got there the place had closed down for good and we ended up at the Burger King next door. Disappointing as she had raved about how good the chicken was...
The original was on South Santa Fe drive but they opened one at JCRS.... It eventually became a bingo parlor... The wife worked there for a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:42 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chcarlsen View Post
Glad to see someone remembered Fred and Fae.... Watched it every morning....
Saw them once together at the old King Soopers at Colfax and Carr.

One correction to my knowledge. Casa Bonita is in the old Joslins' not the JC Pennys'..... Pennys' was at the other end of JCRS. Joslins', in the early 60s' was quite the upscale store and at that end of the mall was a multilevel store. Spent many a day there with mom..... Joslins' moved to Westland and Casa Bonita went in.

A little about me... Born in Evergreen in '57. Raised in Lakewood and went to Central Lakewood, LJHS and LHS. Moved away in '86. Denver back then was a great place. Sooo many great memories....

Rooney Road (keggers) and Bandanere's (sp???), Stout Street Electric Company, After the Gold Rush, Sam's... I'm amazed we're still alive... How about the Tap Inn in west Colfax!!! Lived across the street from Carl Akers on Balsam....

More random stuff..... Johny Hass Lincoln Mercury at Colfax and (Garrison???) With the big flashing star sign..... They were one of the first ones to fall victim of Lakewoods' sign ordinance.... Davies' Chuckwagon!!! Oh so many stories.... Villa Itallia and the big tree in the food court.... Anybody remember "Chuck's" at 10th and Wadsworth??? How about Rink-a-Dinks or Mountain Motor Sports or "6th and Simms" Us dirt bikers will remember "10 dollar hill"

Great times in Lakewood back in the day...
I was on Fred and Fae.....

The guy who owned After the Gold Rush (he actually owned a few) had a house in Cherry Hills that was primo.... We used to deliver his cars to him after we worke don them and he would invite us in for food, a swim, whatever...

I used to love Mountain motor Sports....

Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Ebbets Field - great progressive rock bands - Strawbs, Gentle Giant, Renaissance, PFM, Camel, Caravan, struggling to remember others.

Saw the Runaways there and then went to the Bread concert at the auditorium and the Runaways came there to watch....

I also used to go to this little 3.2 Club in Cherry Creek by the name of My Sweet L'Ass. I used to go when the Freddy Henchy Band was playing. Anybody from Denver probably remembers them.

Love the Freddy henchy band.. And My Sweet L'ass as well....
Hey wasn't the band called Fredy Henchy and the Soul Searchers???

Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,844 times
Leebrenk...I knew Ray and took guitar lessons from his sister, Laura. Does anyone know how to reach her?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chcarlsen View Post
How about Rink-a-Dinks

Well remember Rink-a-Dinks ....

I worked at Harry's Motors (9th & Santa Fe Drive) for a number of years for the Tagaris' while I was in college. We had Nortons (and Ducati's and Guzzi's), and they had Royal Enfields. Some of my riding buddies bought Enfields and Bultacos from Lee Reichert at R-a-D's. Had stories to tell about sometimes less than honest dealings at Lee's shop that we got to hear about ...

Years later, Lee was a Denver area sales rep for Lawson Products. He called on my shop for awhile before moving on to another gig. He didn't remember me from those earlier years, but he remembered some of the bikes that I mentioned when we visited about "old times" in the bike industry in the area. I didn't mention to him then that some of those bike owners were close friends of mine, or one was a college housemate ... so I knew the "other side" of his story.

Another bike shop of the era was Central Cycle and Marine. They tried to hire me to be their service dept manager, but I heard through several sources that it wasn't likely to work out. In time, my sources proved to have better information than the romance I was getting from the owners who wound up closing their doors not too long afterwards. But it sure looked like a big deal shop for awhile.

Anybody remember Prohaska's bike shop? IIRC, he was on Federal Blvd ... wasn't he the guy that got burglarized a bunch of times, so he finally camped out in his shop to catch the burglars in the act? One night, the burglars struck again, having climbed over the perimeter fence and onto the roof of the shop. The first one dropped through the skylight and Prohaska shot him. Was a high profile case in Denver at the time, they charged him with murder because he'd laid in wait in the dark shop, firearm at the ready for the next burglars to visit. Can't remember all the details, but I think he was convicted and drew some serious jail time. Maybe somebody else on the thread remembers the details, would have been late 1960's time frame?

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-19-2014 at 12:13 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Hey wasn't the band called Fredy Henchy and the Soul Searchers???
It was Freddie Henchi and the Soulsetters. They were a funk/R&B band and I remember them very well, I loved those guys.

I remember My Sweet {L}ass, and lots of fond memories of Ebbets Field, where I would *sometimes* successfully get served alcohol. Joan Armatrading, Dan Hicks, Brewer and Shipley, Tom Waits, JJ Cale.

One of my most vivid memories was the enigmatic Leon Redbone singing "My Walking Stick."

Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,793 times
Default Canary a band from Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Whiskers View Post
Was in Denver area about 1974 - 1976. Used to see the band Canary at the Godfather and other clubs. GREAT band! What ever happened to them? GW
I remember that band Canary - They used to play at the Level 7 in East Grand Forks, MN. I remember the drummer his name Billy Gent. They were one hell of a band back in the day. Has anyone have any idea what ever happened to them?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
Default Pizza Haven

Anybody know what happened to Pizza Haven on So. Downing street. the only place I know that had Whole Wheat pizza doe back in the 80's in South Denver I knew of. or anywhere period!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 PM

302 posts, read 473,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine0856 View Post
I remember that band Canary - They used to play at the Level 7 in East Grand Forks, MN. I remember the drummer his name Billy Gent. They were one hell of a band back in the day. Has anyone have any idea what ever happened to them?
I remember them very well. We used to see them all the time at My Sweet Lass. One of my favorite bands and we always had a great time wherever they played. I have also always wondered what happened to them.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,294 times
Diamond lil's on 51st federal was a 3/2 strip bar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver