Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times

Advertisements

I was stationed at Lowery 1957 to 1960. Worked part-time at the Chicken Box Restaurant on Colfax and remember the Beauty who was our hostess, Shirly. The Squadron hangout near the base was Sid's 7/11 Tap Room. Away from the base our hangout was Sam's Steakhouse on Lookout Mountain, where even 3.2 beer got you smashed because of the altitude. Coming down Lookout Mountain was a challenge. I went out with a girl (Margie) who had the biggest chest in Denver and was the envy of my Squadron. We used to make out on the road on top of the dam in southeast Denver. We would take all the new guys to the squadron and to Colorado for a drive on the peak-to-peak highway and enjoy seeing them stunned by the great beauty of the Rockies.

I remember watching 'the greatest football game of all time' - the Colts-Giant game of Jan. 1, 1958. Some of my mates and I were invited to a married buddy's house to watch the game. Drove there in a snow storm. Our friends wife made us 'snow cream' - delicious ice cream made from the snow. I'll be visiting Denver again next spring to re-live memories - first time in 60 years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
Who remembers the 94th areo squadron in Aurora next to the run way at the old Stapleton airport? I loved the smell of that place, or the yum yum tree on Colorado blvd?

Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlk View Post
Who remembers the 94th areo squadron in Aurora next to the run way at the old Stapleton airport? I loved the smell of that place, or the yum yum tree on Colorado blvd?
Used to beg my folks to take me to the Aero Squadron for my birthday dinners- I grew up loving airplanes and eventually got my Private Pilots License.

Remember dad saying the best thing was watching the planes because the food was average at best.

There was another Aero Squadron at the St. Louis airport so it must have been a chain.

Last edited by LHS79; 12-02-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Used to beg my folks to take me to the Aero Squadron for my birthday dinners- I grew up loving airplanes and eventually got my Private Pilots License.

Remember dad saying the best thing was watching the planes because the food was average at best.

There was another Aero Squadron at the St. Louis airport so it must have been a chain.
There are several of them around the country. There's one in COLO SPGS, simply called The Airplane Restaurant. Been there a few times, has a good burger and touring the old airplane is interesting.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter 25 View Post
So cool to read the replies about nostalgia in Denver! The 3.2 bar we loved was the Godfather on west Evans formerly the Bachannal I believe. Across from P.T.s Topless Bar. Can't forget Stout Street! The Village 9 was another one close to downtown. Edgewater Inn Pizza by Sloans Lake! The Sloans Lake Trap Club! We were always down at Sloans Lake as kids!
Loved Godfathers. Had good times there!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1960s View Post
I've read through all the messages and given the URL to my sister, too. I was actually searching for the name of a shoe store I used to love in Buckingham Square when I came upon this thread. I didn't find the name of the store here (The Wild Pair) but so many other memories were sparked, that I felt compelled to register.

I no longer live in Aurora or Denver, and when we visit, it's always a shock to see all of the changes. Of course things are not going to stay the same, but I do miss the old places that used to anchor my world. Fitzimmons Army Medical Center, for example. I went through public schools K-12 and the last time we visited, this past June, was very happy to find that my 2nd elementary school, Peoria Elementary, had been turned back from an A-school into a regular elementary again. I was able to get a tour and see my old classrooms. The gym is the same one where we had assemblies and played dodge ball! Oh the memories! There was a Burger Chef restaurant catty-corner from the school and I used to sneak over there at lunch sometimes...don't ask me how I did it! I'll never tell! I was not always a good kid!

Aurora in the early 1960's was such a safe town...I used to walk to and from school of course, and walk everywhere...As I grew up I would also walk around at night, which I loved. I would not do that in the same neighborhoods now...Every time I go back I visit the little bungalow that used to be our family home, and I'm amazed at how small it seems. 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, a living room and a kitchen with room for a table. I've never bothered the current occupants to ask to see it...that seems intrusive and stalker-ish, but I would still like to get in someday.

I fondly remember many of the stores in Hoffman Heights shopping center - Hatch's (which was a card and gift store then), Hested's, Dolly Madison, Woolco, King Soopers, and I think the little Italian restaurant on the end of one of the sides was Gino's but not 100% certain of that. We used to go out to eat 1 x month when my dad got paid. Remember when all of the stores were closed on Sunday? Learned to drive in one of those empty parking lots on Sundays...and out on country roads just west of where we lived...now that's all built up.

I was amazed to see all of the posts about the Pub...I guess it was more popular than I remembered. I learned to do The Hustle on that flashing dance floor...LOL I wasn't good at it though. Once I was legal I went to the Rusty Nail out on Chambers Rd (?) more often. Their dance floor was small and in a corner but the airmen from Lowry went there and we got drinks bought for us, so...

Stapleton was a great airport, a friend and I used to go there just to watch people, and I worked there at a gift shop for a year or so. DIA is just SO far out of town...it was so nice to be right in town, so convenient.

Colfax wasn't as bad when I was growing up, although it had it's bad spots even then. I remember when the McDonald's on Colfax was a walk-up and you sat in your car to eat. Our veterinarian, Dr. Furr (yes, really!) was next door to McDonald's. We loved A&W because we got those little "baby beers" in the small mugs. I remember the Red Barn and when the Taco Bell came, and Burger King. Loved Whoppers when they first came out. Burger Chef had been in the area for a long time before that, but BK crowded them out. I can still hear the Chicken Delight jingle! "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!" We only ordered from them once, it took forever, the chicken was cold and Dad said "Never again!" His chicken was better anyway.

Speaking of chicken, the Denver Drumstick was my mom's favorite restaurant. Wish I could go back in time and eat there again! The Texas Toast dipped in that signature gravy was just delicious!

We used to go to the Fox Theater on Colfax to see movies...Fortunately that has not been demolished. There was a Rexall Drugs just across the street from there...They had a soda fountain and their cherry Cokes were delicious...We didn't get to experience them often but when we did, we always twirled around on the adjustable stools. My God, I feel ancient now! Can you imagine kids nowdays being excited about getting a simple soda in a drugstore?!

I saw someone mentioned the Smaldone family - Denver's organized crime syndicate for decades...before the real crime came. They were notorious. There were parts of town that you just didn't want to go in, where you could get in trouble without knowing what you'd done.

Does anyone remember KBRN radio, out of Brighton? They played polka music at least some of the time. My mother was from MN, of German origin and we loved to listen and dance to the polkas! She would call in requests too.

Thanks for all the memories. I sure wish Celebrity Sports Center were still there. Lots and lots of memories there. Oh well, time marches on...

I wonder if you remember off of Del Mar cirlce I beleve it was 7th avenue there was a fire station and next to that fire station was I believe a F-86 jet that we kids use to crawl all over back in the day .... do you rember movie night at Del mar park ???

when you mention Fitzimmons Army Medical center, I remember we would come out of the south gate and right across the street (east colfax) was Jerry's drive inn, it use to be a A&W, the owner Jerry Anderson chanaged the name to Jerry's driven in ... we use to go there a lot ... my dad would go and buy hamburgers fries and root beers at Jerry's then we would go to the east driven for a movie ... those were the days ... I too went to peoria elementry, than North Jr. High, than Aurora central ... I grew up in Jewel hights off of 14th and revere street ...

on east colfax there was this wind millit was a barber shop when I grew up right across from the Boliana convenient store ... my brother and I use to go there and get a pop and candt bars ...

Old 12-09-2018, 03:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant with a red roof that was I think on the north side of Colfax probably slightly west of Peoria back then?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 PM

59 posts, read 54,686 times
The Apple Tree Shanty Restaurant at E. Colfax and Xanthia was a fun place to eat.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM

12 posts, read 22,964 times
I used to deliver swimming pool supplies to Eddie Bohn at the Pig 'n' Whistle on West Colfax back in the early 70's. He sometimes would serve me a tip of Rocky Mountain Oysters after my delivery...A very nice man

The 60's and 70's were the best of times for me. I was a kid.

My sisters, parents and I ate many holidays at the Denver Drumstick (One with the train near the ceiling)

Sid Kings is long gone but another bar in it's place. I don't think they have strippers though.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Merged 4:1

Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 22,964 times
I saw many Barry Fey shows at the Denver Coliseum, like Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Santana, etc., when I was still sober. Tickets were like $4.50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver