Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Boy View Post
I remember Stormy, he was on Channel 9. Didn't he have a son who tried standing up on a roller coaster at Elitch's and was killed?

Bob Palmer's mother and father-in-law lived a few doors down from my Grandparents. Never got to meet him but remember thinking it was some sort of "celebrity" connection. Didn't know that outside of the Denver area, nobody knew who Bob Palmer was.

When I turned 18, my 3.2 joint was After the Gold Rush at 6th and Sheridan. I was so cool, just ask all of the girls that were impressed...

A right of passage for my friends and I when we turned 18 was to go to the Bare n' Boogie somewhere on north Sheridan, I believe. One of the few 3.2 stripper dives in Denver. We must have looked like idiots sitting there nursing a beer ogling over the strippers.
After the Gold Rush! Oh, man....the stories!!!!

Entered an Air Guitar contest with a couple of buddies of mine. As I recall we jumped off the walkway above and behind the dance floor intending to impress by landing precisely at the time the first "prang!" of a Thin Lizzy song rang out. Lucky we didn't die. Idiot white boys from the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
I used to ride my bike to Morrison from Bear Valley all the time, went on Yale to Estes Street to pick up Morrison Road. It was a two-lane road all the way to Morrison. By the time you got to Kipling you felt like you were really out in the country. The traffic wasn't heavy and the speed limit wasn't very high, so I guess it was safe enough to be biking along there, though I sure wouldn't want to do it now. I used to do this on a one-speed Stingray bike. One time I borrowed my brother's ten-speed and rode up to Evergreen just for the heck of it. If I tried any of this now on a bike, no matter how many speeds, I'd probably need to call Uber about halfway through to get a ride back home.
Hey wait! You must still be healthy(wish)! I'd need to call an ambulance!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 PM

36 posts, read 87,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadlyMistaken View Post
Hey wait! You must still be healthy(wish)! I'd need to call an ambulance!

That's probably closer to reality for me too. I can't believe the endurance I used to take for granted when I was a teenager.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,903 times
Glad someone remembers the London House and either before or after it was "Mr. G's". They had the most generous happy hour (it was a meal) in the 1970s. Elderly people would come and eat for free and buy a beer or two.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,775 times
Remember the hungry farmer themed cup cocktail drinks like the group watermelon served in a ceramic bowl shaped like a half watermelon served with a bunch of long straws. I had my cucumber drink cup for years. Loved the food and the big barn atmosphere.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM

36 posts, read 87,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbuchmiller View Post
Remember the hungry farmer themed cup cocktail drinks like the group watermelon served in a ceramic bowl shaped like a half watermelon served with a bunch of long straws. I had my cucumber drink cup for years. Loved the food and the big barn atmosphere.

I remember the one on Alameda near Villa Italia, and there used to be one in Colorado Springs, but weren't there a couple more of them in the Denver area? Or am I mixing it up with other "Hungry" restaurants of the time (Hungry Dutchman)?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
There was a Hungry Farmer in Boulder we used to go to in the late 70's- I remember the waiters that would pour your water from above their heads into your glass on the table.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al T View Post
The Thunderbird was on Quebec just north of 6th Ave. The bar on Yosemite was on the north side of Lowry, but I can't remember the name.
The Happy Cat

There was a bar on Yosemite North of Lowry in the late 70's called the Happy Cat. I remember because someone shot through the front door one night after getting beat-up over a pool game. My friend got shot in the leg.

Anyone remember what the name of the bar was on Mississippi and Parker Rd. in the 70's? It's Mugsys now.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-29-2019 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 AM

207 posts, read 480,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hess View Post
My sisters and I had to live in the Denver Orphan's / Children's Home in east Denver in the early 60's. I was a dumb kid (6) and liked it alot better than my sisters (teens). We had many activities all year and I would never have seen them if I wasn't in "the home". I eventually went to a foster home. my sisters stayed at the home until they graduated from high school.........we used to go swimming at a lake at about Mississippi Ave. and Dahlia St. Can't recall the name. There's apartments all over that area now.....Downtown Woolworth's cafeteria had the best German Chocolate cake in the world, my Auntie and I both knew it......"Auntie". that's what we called her, and I used to take the bus (before it was called RTD) to the old Elitches on w. 38th Ave. The ride cost us a dime or a dime sized token with a hole in it. I hope Auntie had as much fun as I had. She was 55 years older than me! We had giant taffy pulls at the home at Christmas time. I don't know how the girls made it but who cares? It was great fun. Huge amounts of sticky taffy. And before I shut up, we (Kids from the home) spent many Friday nights at Celebrity Sports center, just having fun in so many ways, it's too bad we grew up
The lake at Mississippi and Dahlia was called White Sands Beach Club. Glaser's Barn was also on the property.
I learned to walk there, the apartment buildings were built in the early 70s.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 AM

207 posts, read 480,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh72 View Post
Denver area drew a lot of bands/groups in the 70's and 80's which would play in large venues anywhere on the coasts, but in "small" places here. One of the most fun was in Glendale in the mid to late 70's. Jazz was music. Sitting within a few rows of Ramsey Lewis was fantastic. Cannot remember the club though.
The Club Soda was the Jazz Club in Glendale. Rob Mullins started there. It became the Penthouse Strip Club and now Mile High Men's club.
Rob Mullins continued to play at the Regas Mediterranean Cafe During the 80s on East Evans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver