Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM

36 posts, read 87,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john robel View Post
I remember watching All Star Wrestling that was publicity for the wrestlers when they came to Denver. Loved it especially Mad Dog Vachon.

There was Mad Dog and Butcher Vachon, I remember they were supposed to be from Argentina but they were actually from Quebec. And there was Vern Gagne, the Crusher, Doctor X, and some guy named Kenny something who always got beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:41 PM

36 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
What was The Red Slipper?

The Red Slipper Inn was a lounge/restaurant that was part of a hotel near Colorado Boulevard and Alameda. It was decorated with that bright red Vegas/bordello style that was kind of popular at the time. I think it used to have live entertainment, or at least a cocktail piano player.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 20,038 times
In the early to mid 60's there was a place on East Colfax Avenue which became Friday's/Saturday's. Anyone remember the name of the place before it became Friday's/Saturday's?

Old 08-17-2020, 12:22 AM

10 posts, read 13,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
There was Mad Dog and Butcher Vachon, I remember they were supposed to be from Argentina but they were actually from Quebec. And there was Vern Gagne, the Crusher, Doctor X, and some guy named Kenny something who always got beat.
Yeah... Those were the great years of wrestling. When I moved to Florida the above people were unknown to the area Rick Flair was the champ as I recall. I sure do miss the Denver area. I hope to return one day if not just to visit. I looked up an old friend who is still there recently.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
The Happy Cat was right across the street from Billy Jack's. Great bands at Billy Jacks...Lee Malone, Orphan Annie, Triangle, Colorado (Winger), Tightrope, etc.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 14,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyerock View Post
I wonder if you remember off of Del Mar cirlce I beleve it was 7th avenue there was a fire station and next to that fire station was I believe a F-86 jet that we kids use to crawl all over back in the day .... do you rember movie night at Del mar park ???

when you mention Fitzimmons Army Medical center, I remember we would come out of the south gate and right across the street (east colfax) was Jerry's drive inn, it use to be a A&W, the owner Jerry Anderson chanaged the name to Jerry's driven in ... we use to go there a lot ... my dad would go and buy hamburgers fries and root beers at Jerry's then we would go to the east driven for a movie ... those were the days ... I too went to peoria elementry, than North Jr. High, than Aurora central ... I grew up in Jewel hights off of 14th and revere street ...

on east colfax there was this wind millit was a barber shop when I grew up right across from the Boliana convenient store ... my brother and I use to go there and get a pop and candt bars ...
OMG Yes! I do remember that! I wonder if it's still there.

We never did movie night. We swam in the pool and went to the 4th of July fireworks (except Daddy didn't like getting stuck in crowds so we parked in the Hoffman Heights Shopping Center and climbed on the car roof to watch the fireworks).

We used to love going to A&W and their root beer is still the best or would be if they'd still use sugar like we had!

Did you have Mr. Kulwicki for 6th grade? I have tried to track him down for a long time and never been able to find anything on line. What a character, any teacher now would be in jail for some of the things he did but I learned so much from him.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah... Those were the great years of wrestling. When I moved to Florida the above people were unknown to the area Rick Flair was the champ as I recall. I sure do miss the Denver area. I hope to return one day if not just to visit. I looked up an old friend who is still there recently.
So much has changed...and not for the better. Just be prepared to find a lot of things very different, especially including the downtown area. Oh, and of course Aurora. It used to be a sleepy little suburb but is not that any more.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
The Crusher and the Bruiser were supposed to be brothers, or cousins, I can't remember now. My dad loved All Star Wrestling and I thought it was ridiculous and fake and I always tried to make him see how stupid it was. He still watched and enjoyed it. I remember how they used to go and pick up a folding chair and toss it into the other guy's head and get lots of blood flowing. What a joke.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:40 PM

11 posts, read 26,890 times
Here's a funny one. My youngest son is a freshman this year at the University of Denver. Early in the fall quarter he was talking to his mother and I and mentioned that from his dorm room, he can see a giant cross on the mountain west of the city. Growing up in Lakewood, I could see the Mt. Lindo cross from my bedroom window. I had to laugh, to me, it was just something that has always been there. For my son, it was entirely a new thing.

Last edited by West Side Boy; 12-29-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 02:42 PM

11 posts, read 26,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I really miss Denver. I know what you mean, I've lost so many dear relatives and friends from Denver. Still, I would love to move back, at least closer, there is still lots to see and do, there. Botanic gardens, for one.

So sorry about your loss. This pandemic, and now the protests. The protests, I can definitely understand. The destruction and looting is way over the top. (Speaking of bad cops, anyone remember Buster?)

Take care and stay safe out there in the world. Great that there are more responsible people, than spoiled brats, taking advantage of this horrific situation.
Buster Snyder, who can forget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver