Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I got engaged @ Rick's Cafe, Thanksgiving night, 1979.
Wow, we were 4 ships passing in the night.
Rick's was where my husband-to-be and I went on our very first date, November 1979!
It was *the* place then, wasn't it? I remember My Sweet (L)ass, too.
And trying to get served at Little Bear. Saw George Thorogood do a smokin' hot show at the Bear one night.
Quote:
A very wild time back then. Lost count of how many "SUN-day" concerts I went to @ Mile Hi Stadium.
Ditto. And the sunburn that goes with them. A fave was the Allman Brothers, was it '73 or '74?
Quote:
Anyone remember the name of the record store on Evans by DU? They stayed open late & had huge paintings of album covers on the building & inside.
Double H called it correctly, good ole Peaches.
Quote:
I remember freaking out when my sister came home from school one day & said her friend got caught in the middle of a riot....& then we saw it on TV later that night. Couldn't believe I was gonna have to go to GW after that.
I was in junior high for that one--Merrill. I ended up voluntarily transferring to East. GW turned out to be a good school, though--that's where my older son graduated from.
Quote:
Frisbee in Wash Park? Ahhhh - what a great way to pick up the boys!
There was a gas station that gave out green dinosaurs like Dino from the Flintstones...can't remember the name of it. I miss Mexican food!!! The Holly, the Riviera, all the little mom & pop spots around Elitches...!
Wash Park was a real hippie haven back in the day.
All kinds of stuff going on.
I think the Holly Inn finally closed, and the Riv has been gone a long time.
Remember the piranha in the tank at the Riviera? Wasn't his name Adolf?
I think the name of the gas station was Sinclair.
Ah, memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
It blows my mind just driving through it every couple of months or years. Grows,grows, grows.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:34 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
Ricks was a fun place. Probably the first nice "fern bar" in Cherry Creek. We saw the late Bronco Lyle Alzado in there one night dancing on a tabletop whilst chugging a pitcher of beer! The whole place gave him a standing ovation.
Then there were those kinda cheezie pick up clubs like Thrills, Bogart's, Confetti's, and Caldonia's which at least had o.k. barbeque.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 31,376 times
How about Little Banquet buffet in the old Westminster Mall? Cinema 70...2 theatres. Big time back then before the multiplexes. Woolworth's in the same mall and Woolco across the street. Hot Dog Harold Moore was actually Hal Baby Moore when he was on KIMN in the 60's. He's back on the new 95 am station. Great tunes. Hal and Charlie on KHOW...then Hal and a few others...how about 1280 KTLK back in the day. They were KIMN'S competition. Going to the Federal theater to see "Help!"....for $.50 cents. The Gold Bond stamp redemption center on 73rd and Federal. Humpty Dumpty hamburger joint on Speer near North High....Hammonds candy store, with the little candy cane out front. More to come!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 97,563 times
Default More Memories

Hey how about the infamous Bob Martin doing the Broncos play by play. He was so good that we used to turn off the TV sound and listen to KOA during the games. Is he still around? He was the best!

I used to live next to the Highline Canal, use to see all the horses that Saddle Lane Stables would rent out.

The lines for the Star Wars showings at the Cooper.

Do they still do the lit up cross on the mountain?

Camping at Cherry Creek when it was out in the boonies...not an inner city park like it is today.

KBCO and KTCL both college stations you could get in Denver.

KBPI and the marvelous mouth commercials.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Default One more thing

One more thing I forgot.

Watching the planes pass over your head at Stapleton while parked on Havana...Good for an hour or so.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
One more thing I forgot.

Watching the planes pass over your head at Stapleton while parked on Havana...Good for an hour or so.
We used to do this. I loved it.
heh
I remember when *that* was the boonies.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Radio station KMYR ...

Being able to base a small private aircraft at Stapleton and fly in and out of the "big" airport in Denver.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 25,846 times
I lived in Denver from 1978 to 1981 during my college years and it was a wonderful place. I lived on South Steele Street between University and Colorado Blvds and the location was brilliant. The mood was festive, people enjoyed themselves, and the city was very welcoming. Recently I had the opportunity to spend 6 months back in Denver and I found a completely different city. Not only did it grow in population but it grew in negativity. The downtown area was still friendly and welcoming but the outlining areas revealed a population filled with disdain for others, lack of creativity in problem solving, and there was a general feeling of depression amongst the people. My wife visted quite often and she commented that it "appeared the people were in a fog and lacked personality." It saddened me to see the decline of Denver but then again the level of eduaction in Denver declined as well. I hope it is temporary because I have wonderful memories of the City by the Rockies and I wish it well. If there was something I would like to say to the young men and women of Denver it is the following: the exercise of successful living is moving from resentment to gratitude. Denver has so much potential and its citizens have much to be grateful about and thus they have a mission in life.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Just as you think you remembered it all

I thought I had recalled it all but the I came up with this jewel.

Anyone remember Muddy Waters? Used to go there for coffee after hitting the bars. It was a eclectic place, open all night, with music, etc. Better than hitting Dennys after the bars.

Another gold nugget gone, but not forgotten.....

I also seem to remember a 3.2 bar in Cherry Creek back in the 70s that used to have really good live music. Anyone remember the name?

Finally anyone remember the Irish bar that used to have very crazy things go on St. Patrick's day. Today I believe the owner closes the bar on St. Pats day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver