Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 02:31 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenjim View Post
Does anyone remember The lift and Bull and Bush around 1978? I was there all the time.
Me too. We probably hung out together.
I'm pretty sure both are mentioned earlier in this thread.
But I realize that's a lot to wade through.
Colorado Mining Company, the Hatch Cover, Rick's Cafe, all the fern bars...one of my favorite places, Elrond's at 13th and Broadway, was rather short-lived, but I sure had good times there--also Ebbet's Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,218 times
Smile 1978

I was a senior at Platte Canyon HS in Bailey in 1978. I would come and stay w my older sister and she could get me in places like the Lift. I also played volleyball there alot and the bar tender liked me and let me buy beer. Bull and Bush was a favorite hang out too. Older guys would always buy us beer there too. Had lots of fun at the huge bowling ally on Colorado. Anyone ever go to those places? Oh, also, anyone remember the Comets volleyball team. We would go all the time. OK, well this is my 2nd post so hope to here from some of you.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

122 posts, read 522,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
So, if you're from Lakewood area you surely remember when people could cruise "West" Colfax. If you should get a speeding ticket or any other ticket on that particular street in Lakewood, they had a special day set aside for you to appear in court; Wednesday.
WOW! I'm from Westminster and received 3 tickets in one night on West Colfax. Had a 73' 340 Duster, and just couldn't stay off it. Dad had to hire a lawyer on that one.. Good Times!!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Anyone remember the name of the restaurant at the end of the runway at Stapleton? Burned down in the early 90's if I remember correctly.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 96,827 times
That would be the 94th Aero Squadron. Its a chain, I ate at one at Miami's Airport a few years ago.

Ahh I remember Mike Shanahan as Coach of the Denver Broncos as if it was yesterday....wait, it was yesterday.

Anyone remember a couple of guys "Baxter and Hawkins" who did the Morning show at either KAZY or KBPI? Their Hiney winery skits were pretty funny.

I also remember a band in the late 70s that played a few bars called Timothy P and the rural route 3. Their rendition of "Red Neck Mothers" as Led Zeppelin would do it was pretty funny.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,418 times
Default Denver Drumstick

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]My family ate at, and ordered take out from the location near 70th and Federal all the time in the early 70's. Over the years I managed to collect a variety of multicolored grease-stained box cars (much to my mother's dismay.) Their deep fried shrimp was served in a cardboard sail boat (I still remember the red and blue details vividly) and they had other novelty cardboard platters depending upon what you ordered. Their fried chicken was awesome, and their signature gravy was to die for. Does anyone else remember what the other cardboard platters were?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMan View Post
[SIZE=2]My family ate at, and ordered take out from the location near 70th and Federal all the time in the early 70's. Over the years I managed to collect a variety of multicolored grease-stained box cars (much to my mother's dismay.) Their deep fried shrimp was served in a cardboard sail boat (I still remember the red and blue details vividly) and they had other novelty cardboard platters depending upon what you ordered. Their fried chicken was awesome, and their signature gravy was to die for. Does anyone else remember what the other cardboard platters were?[/SIZE]
Wasn't that at about 73rd & Federal, and didn't they have a model train that ran around above the dining area. Grew up on 70th & Bryant. Remember that place well...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
That would be the 94th Aero Squadron. Its a chain, I ate at one at Miami's Airport a few years ago.
Yep 94th Aero Squadron. I worked for Combs Gates at Stapleton, and that was a comon gathering spot. That and the Blue Moose at the Holiday Inn on Quebec.

Of course there was always the "Landing Strip".

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Wasn't that at about 73rd & Federal, and didn't they have a model train that ran around above the dining area. Grew up on 70th & Bryant. Remember that place well...
I lived on south of 72nd on the 7100 addresses of Bryant. Remember the Drive-in at 72nd and Zuni? I had a 73' charcoal-gray Nova. Do you remember a guy named Louie? I doubt you do. It's a big world and this was back in the early and mid 90s. He went to Metro State with me and had long black hair and often skateboarded to the bus stop at 70th and Federal. I thought the park was just south of the 7100 block. You must have lived south of it.

You used to cruise West Colfax when we could do that. That means if you got a ticket down there, you had to go to Lakewood on Wednesday, a special day dedicated just for W Colfax cruisers.

There was a butcher shop just up the stree towards Federal and on the north side of the street.

We lived in the area because my aunt was the main broker at Century 21 Adams over there south of Zuni on 72nd. There was a field of apple trees behind it and we'd pick them and she'd make the best apple pie. Then down the block, you had Unique Burger. Then up Pecos, you had Pecos Junction.

There used to be some poor street guy who walked up and down 72nd and Federal in that area and he had this huge shaggy black dog. If he caught you looking at him or made eye contact with you, he'd yell at you, "AGHGHGHGHHGHG!" Well, then about 7 years ago when we were in the area, this co-worker was with me and I saw the guy! I said "Mike, check this out." I leaned my head out the window as we drove by and yelled, "AGHGHGHGHGH!" And the poor guy responded, "AGHGHGHHGHG!" I'm bad that way.

Then there was the goodwill plant just across the street from the Super Shops on 70th and Federal. An Arby's with the old style hat! The liquor store down the street across the bridge near 69th and Federal called the "Liquor Box".

Otto, have you heard of the McCoys on the northwest corner of I-70 and Federal? And do you remember Hatfields just south of 70 on the same side of Federal? That's kind of funny. Cheerleaders, Boogie Down, Friends & Lovers... a rent by the half-hour motel with hot tubs?

That whole area was like Perville! Ewe.

Cherri's Pub on 68th and Lowell! The Hill Top south of Regis on Lowell?

Ah, the memories!

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-03-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Yep, remember the drive-in well. Used to sit on the wall and drink beer (from 7-11) and watch the movie.

I left the neighborhood in 83 for the military, so I was gone by the mid 90's.

I actually grew up on Beacon Way, 7030 to be exact, which is a block over from Bryant. I usually say Bryant since more people seem to know Bryant. Drive through the neighborhood every now and then but it sure has gone to hell!!

Super shops was a shoe store, and Goodwill was a high end furniture store. Can't remember the names of each, but sure someone here knows.

I went to Skyline Elementary, Scott Carpenter Jr High, and Ranum High.

Do you remember old man Pomponio chasing the skateboarders out of his property (Albertsons, Bowling Alley). He owned the field just to the south also. He lived just east of Goodwill on 70th. I think he lived with his sister (weird) and loved to chase us off his property.

Yep remember all the "perville" of south Federal. I had a good friend that worked at Cheerleaders. Actually he lived acroos the street from me. He's since passed on, wow makes me feel old!!

Don't remember the crazy guy on 72'nd, of course there were a few crazy guys on 72'nd.

Good to speak to someone from the old "Hood", keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver