U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 AM

719 posts, read 2,433,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yay, someone else remembers the old Rockies! My entire family were hockey fanatics.
Double H, my brothers used to *live* at Celebrity Sports Center.
Remember that back room where guys could race their little slot cars?!
The hockey Rockies! Don Cherry was the coach. There were dime beer nights at some of those games. Seats $4. They were a very entertaining team with their "rock 'em sock 'em ways.
Anyone remember Ebbett's Field? I got to see the late great Tommy Bolin there. I belive that was one of Barry Fey's first ventures.
And those hot summer Saturday nights up in Erie for those sprint car races!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,144,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Anyone remember Ebbett's Field? I got to see the late great Tommy Bolin there. I belive that was one of Barry Fey's first ventures.
Sockeye, Chuck Morris opened up Ebbets. I'm sure Barry hung around for the shows though. I saw Joan Armatrading, Dan Hicks, Leon Redbone and others there, but never Tommy, though I did see Tommy at yet another Denver musical venue, Mammoth Gardens. I used to see Barry Fey at Mammoth, but I don't think he opened that place, either.
Fey and Morris opened up one of my favorite venues, Rainbow Music Hall, together. I saw many many great shows there: Jerry Jeff Walker, Warren Zevon, Asleep At the Wheel.
But now, after the indignity of becoming a Walgreen's,the Rainbow is gone.
Rainbow to be demolished

Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Willow. We should be very thankful for folks like Barry and Chuck. Ah, The Rainbow Music Hall. I was there for Jerry Jeff, too. My fave was Southside Johnny in '79.
Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks-now they were talented AND entertaining! I still listen to "Where's the Money?" often.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM

120 posts, read 432,684 times
Default With all the hibbies here...

One would think it's still the 60-70's.. Enough of the mullets...

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM

17,057 posts, read 22,369,836 times
Ebbet's Field was a great place, which formerly was known as Marvelous Marv's. Some talent in their early years came through, and a terrific live recording is floating around somewhere in one of the Boulder stations (KBCO) ? by the British progressive band Renaissance. And the shows at the Rainbow? Too many to list, but I'll work on that another night. The Holly Inn was close to the Rainbow and I remember snarfing down a tacorito every time I went there. YUMS!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil45 View Post
One would think it's still the 60-70's.. Enough of the mullets...
Mullets were an 80's thing if I recall. They really got started in pro soccer and hockey. The 70's were pretty much just plain 'ol long hair, jeans, flannel shirts, and big azz hiking boots.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 PM

17,057 posts, read 22,369,836 times
Another great music store was the Old Denver Folklore Center on East 16thAve., I believe. I was getting into a lot of folk music at the time and they had the folk selection, especially the local label Biscuit City. Then there was the Oxford Hotel that had lots of folk concerts. Saw Michael Stanley there for $3. Rachel Faro for free. Steve Frumholz for free. A great place to hang out back then.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,096,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglady View Post
[*]What was the name of that Mexican restaurant on S. Santa Fe that was next to the old racetrack? I think there's still a restaurant by that name, but back in the 60's it had a lot of character and was one-of-a-kind[/list]
Are you thinking of Tortilla Flats? It was down near the racetrack west of Santa Fe Drive. Got flooded out in the Platte flood in '65. How about the North Woods Inn on Santa Fe drive? Great chow, and they gave you a big bucket of unshelled peanuts--shells went on the floor, of course.

How about the Cathe Post Chinese restaurant in lower downtown--back when that neighborhood was rough as hell? There was a railroad spur in front of the restaurant that served some warehouses down the street. Occasionally, the switch crew would come into the restaurant and tell everybody to move their autos, so they could switch some boxcars up the spur.

How about the Beacon Supper Club on East Colfax in Aurora? If any big star came to town, they would always be out there after their show. Also a hangout for airline pilots to have a few belts before they went out on their flight (great . . .).

Then there were the poker parlors and gambling houses in Black Hawk--before gambling was, uh, legal there.

Or Shaner's restaurant downtown? Often frequented by some of the local Mafiosi.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

16,028 posts, read 24,047,978 times
My older brother told me there was a place on north Federal called Aloha Beach. It would have made Pecos Junction look tame from what I'd heard about it.

We used to go to Northwoods Inn when it was across from ACC (Arapahoe Community College?). They served an awesome fillet, about 8 to 10 oz and it would come out on a smoking hot plate. I'd get it a bit rare, cut off a piece and sear it onto the still hot plate! Yum. They had an awesome split-pea soup on Thursday nights.

Has anyone ever heard of or been to the Yum Yum Tree?

Someone mentioned North Glenn Mall, but what about the mall at 84th and just east of I-25? North Valley Mall? How about The Party Place? That's a 3.2 bar I frequented. Some of those places were more 80's nostalgia.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,096,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Has anyone ever heard of or been to the Yum Yum Tree?
Yup, I forgotten about that place.

One thing I remember about good ol' Denver that they still do is when they put the Grand Champion steer from the National Western Stock Show in a pen in the lobby of the Brown Palace Hotel. Now, that's "class."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver