Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 126,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larae View Post
What was the name of the small hamburger joints that had the secret sauce? The original one was downtown and I think there was one on south broadway. It's not white castle.
"How about the White Castle burgers on so broadway in Englewood next to the Gothic Theatre?"

You're both thinking about the RockyBilt chain of burger stands.

Little white sheds with a counter. Meat came out of stainless steel drawers in a ball and were smashed flat on the grill with a few onions and then slid on a bun with their special sauce.

The bags said "Take-Homa-Sak"

They were all over the Denver area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

115 posts, read 228,843 times
Micky Manor between 24th and 25th on Federal still serves the RockyBilt burgers.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM

16 posts, read 440,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Another great music store was the Old Denver Folklore Center on East 16thAve., I believe. I was getting into a lot of folk music at the time and they had the folk selection, especially the local label Biscuit City. Then there was the Oxford Hotel that had lots of folk concerts. Saw Michael Stanley there for $3. Rachel Faro for free. Steve Frumholz for free. A great place to hang out back then.
I used to sing there with a couple of guys in 1966 I'm thinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My older brother told me there was a place on north Federal called Aloha Beach. It would have made Pecos Junction look tame from what I'd heard about it.

We used to go to Northwoods Inn when it was across from ACC (Arapahoe Community College?). They served an awesome fillet, about 8 to 10 oz and it would come out on a smoking hot plate. I'd get it a bit rare, cut off a piece and sear it onto the still hot plate! Yum. They had an awesome split-pea soup on Thursday nights.

Has anyone ever heard of or been to the Yum Yum Tree?

Someone mentioned North Glenn Mall, but what about the mall at 84th and just east of I-25? North Valley Mall? How about The Party Place? That's a 3.2 bar I frequented. Some of those places were more 80's nostalgia.
Oh yes, the Aloha, I once took a new date there not knowing they had turned into a topless bar. Embarrassed. But, it used to be a wonderful place to party on the weekends. We'd drive out there from Montbello, in the early 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I remember the Denver Drumstick. I actually thought there was more than one?
They died out while I was still young, but the one I remember was on Colorado Blvd, not all that far from the Yum Yum Tree.

Does anyone else remember RockyBilt Hamburgers? They would be wrapped in waxpaper and placed in a plain brown paper bag.
The best chili ever (even though it was out of a can)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSEMATT View Post
Memories of Aurora when I was a kid-Red Barn fast food joint on Colfax, Putt Putt behind the A&W, of course the East (and later, when it was renovated in 1970, the East 70 drive-in), the fields and brush along Havana St. and riding there along the Highline Canal, the gate out on Colfax (now under the gateway to the Rockies sign) that they actually closed and locked with a padlock after 11:00PM during the Stock Show to keep the cowboys out, and of course the Zanza Bar. Anyone remember the bar out in "Altura" that was a big country bar that ran national acts? It was on about Potomoc and Colfax. I miss it there......
Was it the "Four Seasons"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Here is another blast from the past. Emerson St. East was a popular nightspot at Colfax and Emerson st. Good food, good brew. Quite a few Broncos from the 1977 Super Bowl team frequented it back then.
Used to hang out there in 1974. It was a wonderful place to eat and drink and dance. Last time I visited Denver in the late 80's, we went to check it out, and it was a gay cowboy bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Yep 94th Aero Squadron. I worked for Combs Gates at Stapleton, and that was a comon gathering spot. That and the Blue Moose at the Holiday Inn on Quebec.

Of course there was always the "Landing Strip".
Did you work with Roger K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Idaho Springs...still running the water wheel part of the year?
My folks had a lot on Chicago creek, had to move the "creek" to the front of the lot, it divided the best building site. There was a young student killed by a mountain lion right by the highschool back in the late 70s?? or so.
Used to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band members alot in downtown Idaho Springs, they all lived in the area back then.
And there was a black 57 chevy 2 door hardtop sitting on a side street that the guy would not sell, would not fix, would not do anything with for literally decades.
Was there a restaurant in Idaho Spgs called "The Derby"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libequafrat View Post
My brother in law was the drummer for Sugarloaf. I got to go to several of their shows. Just a tag along teenager from Goat Hill. Good times though. Hey, did you ever wonder "Where are they now"? Well, he's in yard maintenance. Makes a happy buck. Went to one show by Brother Sun, the group my brother in law and one of Sugarloaf's guitarists, (Bob Yeazel), formed when they broke from Sugarloaf. They played the day's covers and original songs. They were much better than Sugarloaf but some of the new members were young and temperamental so it was short lived. They had a flute/soprano sax player who was incredible. He went on to play in a philharmonic orchestra back east, I think. One of the songs they played at an outdoor debutante party, (the one I saw), at a ranch south of Denver near Sedalia, was called Magic Man and featured a drum solo that I have rarely seen rivaled by anyone. I have seen more than a few bands mostly at the Coliseum in the early seventies. I went to Ranum. Thought I got a pretty good ejamacashun but see that now Ranum is ranked very low on the Colorado schools list. All the hippy teachers must be retired.
Weren't they called the "Esquires" prior to being "Sugarloaf"? My cousin used to go out with one of them when she was going to East High.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libequafrat View Post
Did anyone see The Outlaws at Ebbets Field in the basement of Brooks Tower? The year was 1974 or 1975. They were the warm up group for Bob Seger when Bob's big hit was Nut Bush City Limits.
"Green Grass and High Tide Forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher&cindy View Post
"Green Grass and High Tide Forever"
Worked at a place in Brooks Towers called "Queen Creek Cattle Corporation". Try saying that after having a couple of cocktails downstairs. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I remember going downtown and watching the people ice skate and going to Woolworths and having a slice of Pizza.. It seemed like one fo the best Pizzas I have tatsed....
Amen to the pizza. My mom & I would go there on saturday afternoons and always got pizza and a glass of that fresh whipped orange juice. Yummy! Then I moved to San Diego, and those days were gone!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Merged 11:1

Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Default "Where Target is now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonealongtime View Post
I just stumbled on this forum on a google search too. Wow, does this thread bring back a flood of memories I thought were long forgotten. I live overseas and have for many years, but I rolled into SE Denver in 1975 as a fun loving 20 year old college student, and have great memories of lots of places.

Colorado Mining Company had the best steaks and a delicious stuffed potato. Yeah, that was the place for Bronco watching. Down the street was Cork n Cleaver, which was also good, and then the Discos, The Lift, and London House were close by. There was another big disco, but I forgot the name (I think a Target is there now). Yeah, I remember that Der Weiner Schnitzel and wish I could have one now. Oh, yeah, I think there was a funky Mexican restaurant near there called Jose O'Shea's.

Of course I remember Rick's Cafe, and used to hang out there a lot. There was a breakfast cafe near Washington Park, I think it was called Annie's?

There was a big hotel on Colorado Blvd. named the funkiest name, Mollie McGee's. I stayed there when I first came.

Anybody remember that cool little gas station that said "we're a bobcat for service." and had a sign pic of a bobcat? This is all around Colorado Blvd, and Speer and Alameda I think if I remember correctly.

Out west, yes, I remember the places on West Colfax mentioned, including Casa Bonita. There used to be a May D&F out there at Westland. I have no idea what's there now, and I think that department store went out of business maybe a decade ago?

There are so many places I just can't remember the names of, places downtown and along Speer? Blvd.

Yeah, went to see concerts at Ebbits Field, Red Rocks, and some other places. There was a really famous theatre downtown where they held concerts.
Was it Mr Lucky's?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Bar by Lowry AFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
I grew up in Aurora. Remember some of these places?

The Pub in the Montview area, going down the stairs to disco the night away...at least until 12.

Their was that bar (forget the name) on Yosemite next to Lowry, lots of live music, and fights outside. Few girls though, they went to the discos. Later Lowry declared this bar off limits.

The East 70 drive-in.

Tower road, before it was developed, used to see either couples doing ... or groups getting high. Friends of mine from Littleton talk the same way about the KOSI towers on County Line Road.

The Valley Highway befoe it was I-25.

The 1965 flood, the only time I ever saw Sand Creek bank full.

Remember After the Gold Rush? I remember that they used to wash their plastic cups, yuk.

Woodsies, I remember the one that the Aurora Police broke up when the class of 1976 graduated.

The Number 3 Lift. Dance until 2.

I may be getting into the 80s with the next two...

Shotgun Willies before it became a strip club.

Rodeo, then it became carnival or something like that.

I believe that Glendale does not even have any clubs anymore.

The A&W Root Beer stand on Colfax.

Speaking of Colfax, who could not forget the food at the Blue Onion.

Colorado SUN-day concerts at Folsom Field. Courtesy of Feyline productions. Is Barry Fey still around?

Concerts at Red Rocks and trying to find your car in the pitch dark afterwards.

Steve Tensi and Floyd Little of the Broncos.

The 1977 Broncos...make those miracles happen with Red Miller...

Finally, cruising 16th street. (there was this one Denver cop that was famous for something, people said he was mean, anyone remember who I am talking about?)

I miss Denver...
The "Happy Cat"

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Default East TinCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Got a few more memories from that time...

Remember the Fred and Fay Show? It was on channel 7 when it was KLZ. Every little kid got on that show for their birthday. Yes even I got on that show. I remember Fred speaking with a high pitch voice.

Of course there was Blinky the clown. This was before clowns became creepy.

Playing Frisbee at Wash park.

Weatherman Bowman talking about the "winds aloft".

I remember Pete Smythe talking about "East Tin Cup" in a song. Wasn't that a trailer park near Golden?

When I-70 first cut through the hogback near Golden, everyone went there to see the colors in the rocks.

The man made earthquakes. Remember those? Didn't they find out that one of those government entities was pumping toxic waste into deep rocks, lubricating those rocks, and causing those quakes?

The first years of Larimer square, a high end shopping area in a crummy part of Denver. Still had to shoo the bums away.

Remember when that truck full of nuclear torpedos rolled over where I70 met I25? The next day the papers said "Mousetrap Nuked".

Shopping at the old May D&F on 16th street, then getting lunch in their resteraunt. The mirrors were on opposing walls made it look like it went on forever. Christmas shopping there was fun.

The old Fan Fair store on Havana, the strange looking building is still there. Kids liked it because you could ride your bike on the roof.

Anybody remember the Havana Inn and their famous Tacoburrito? They were almost the only resteraunt in that area at that time.

Shakeys Pizza, crummy pizza, lowd banjos. But this has been immortalized in the show south park. If you watch the show the guys must have been there around this time, they pick up on alot of stuff we have talked about in this forum.

Going to Castle Rock when it was a biker bar and a couple of houses.

The old Century 21 raceway (dragstrip), after it closed. Saw a lot of guys race down that strip.

Finally, I hear that there are people who want to bring the olympics to Denver...again. Didn't they try that back in 1976? Lamm got it so that no public funding was to be spent on it, and they moved it to France.

:c ool:
East TinCup was a "ghost town/concert venue" in the 60's. I saw Johnny Crawford (from The Rifleman TV how) there in '62 or so

Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Coal Mining Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcopRon View Post
Thanks to everyone for the GREAT memories over the years. A few of mine.....

The Yum Yum Tree Food Bazaar.... 400 Blk so Colorado Blvd......7 restaurants under one roof..........The German Haufbrau House ( where i was night manager), adjacent and in the back nest to the Steak House (met Ex there)......Tommy Wong's Chinese on the right as you enter adjacent to his BBQ restaurant........Both across from the Hamburger & fries restaurant adjacent to the Pizza restaurant..........Kenny's Deli as you exit the door to the right.............Business managed by Pete Landau, AKA, "the man everyone loved to hate".........Asst Manager/ ran the deli, was Kenny Mino......great outgoing guy.

Coal Mining Company, near Mr Lucky's, in Glendale.......Owned by Buck Scott....known as the restaurant who fixed fryed banana and peanut butter sandwishes for Elvis. who once flew in from Graceland with a group, just for the sandwishes.

Leaning Tower of Pizza on South Colorado Blvd.....3.2 establisment

Herman's Hideaway..........still operational on South Broadway.owned and ran by Alan Roth and his brother

Buster Snyder,,,,,Denver Police Officer known for infamous ticket writing,,,,,worked wtih him when I Joined the Police Dept.........bad reputation but a great guy when you where jumped on by numerous rowdys....Once had piano wire strung across the street and a phoney call called in,,,,on his Motorcycle, when he saw the wire, tipped his bike over in just the nick of time

Gates Rubber Company.........south Broadway.................my dad retired from there,,,a Denver landmark.......Gates well known for the HUGE Christmas parties thrown at the Denver Coloseum for emplyees' chidrens................thousands of gifts given out

Griffs hamburgers,,,,,,,,,north Pecos and Boulder turnpike...........10 hambergers for a $1.00

The Turn of the Century night club.......2 locations.......met 2 Elvis impersonators there........"Alan" and Johnny Harra........bercame friends and mgr of Johnny for a time....Alan still performs out of Boulder.....SAw Wayne Newton at the newer facility on South Yosemite and Hampden......he performed for about 90 minutes,,,,,,,,,asked if we were having a good time, croud went crazy, then he announced,,,,,"well, we are just beginning, and played another 90 minutes

Playboy club atop the Warwick hotel, about 17 th and Grant. Ate there many times when i was on the police dept....

2 reginal bands........the MOOONRAKERS from Denver and the Soul Survivors from Boulder,,,,,,BOTH had success.........Moonraker Denny Flanigan resides in Hawaii from what i understand and Joel Brandes is a local businman

Corky Gonzales,,,,,,,,,,,,radical Hispanic leader of the Crusade for Jusatice.
I was involved in the shootout at the crusade headquarters at 16 th & Downing where Officer Steve Snyder was shot by a fugitive he was chasing.........last heard he ( Gonzales) had died

The Riviera in Glendale off of So Colorado Blvd and Florida Ave,,,,,,,,,,,GREAT food but had to be the LOUDEST atmosphere......could hardly hear others talking..........

Lyle Alzados Lounge off of 1 st and York St, Cherry Creek Shopping Center.........spent many hours there after closing breaking up fights/disturbances

The Celebrity Sports Center,,,,,,,,,,great family fun atmosphere

The unique restaurant off of Almeda and Colorado blvd.......Built from several train cars....................great food........

The Islander on E. Colfax Ave and Bellaire st............Part owned by the leader of denvers BEST band, the Glass Menagerie.........Jim Passel unfortuately killed in a car acciden of so I25 and Lincoln Ave

The Sundial Restaurant,,,,,,,,about 41 st and Colorado............FIRST restaurant in regine to bring in the DOUBLE hamburger.....Owner Sid Greenstein was ahead of his time......early 1960's

Will List more later...........again.THANKS to all who have contributed...
Was that ever called the "Colorado Mine Co"?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Default Salt Water Dumas & Lloyd's Furrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcopRon View Post
Airstreamer................the greasy spoons you mentioned, could they possibly be the old Sams?,,,,,,,,,,,,,each had a number assigned......when just a youngster, my Dad would take me to the professional wrestling matches downtown ( at the Auditorium arena)...and afterwards we would always go to Sam's # 3............and it was always 2 hamburgers ( paper thin naturally...Lol) a drink and a bowl of chili for a buck plus change..........

Anyone remember when the roller coaster at Lakeside flew off the track and into the lake? Not sure how many drowned

Also the Riviara Motel on E. Colfax............i had heard that wresting promoter Gene Reed owned it and that's where all the big time wrestlers stayed when in town.

I remember when there literally were 4 gas stations on every corner. and EACH one had attendants who put the gas in and checked your oil and cleaned your windows. And how great it was to give him 3 dollars and actually get change back. ( 23.9 cents a gallon )

Used to go to neaby store and get my Parents packs of cigarettes... 27 cents.............a bottle of your favorite pop was 10 cents a bottle

I remember when my brother was a clerk at the King Soopers at the old Park Hill Shopping
Center at 33 rd and Dahlia st. .............a rule of thumb at the time was a bag of groceries ran about 10 to 15 dollars a bag on average.......now a few gallons of milk can run as high

We used to go MOONLIGHT bowling,,,,,,,,,,,is that even around anymore?????

Anyone remember:

The name of the restaurant on Yale Ave between Holly st and Monaco Parkway, a big white structure. set back from Yale Ave and all they served was Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls and a vegatable..all seved family style?

"Salt Water Dumas" on Smith Rd ? It was a very exclusive restaurant for its time.

The "Hungry Dutchman" and if so, where was it located?.......i cant remember

The Battle of the Bands held at either the Coloseum or The Auditorium arena that would run from noon till midnight........several stages set up and non stop music by local bands, with one or 2 well known acts thrown in?

Leo's Place at 16 th and Braodway........owned by Leo Goto...............high class restaurant

Lloyds Furs................originally in the 15oo blk Broadway........owner, Dick Kaye, a prominant businessman who used to buy air time to run movies......he would be the only sponsor of comercials during the movies

Also to the one who inquied about Sid King, owner of the strip joint on Colfax and Marion st, ( the Crazy Horse) ............Upon closing his business and in later years, he ran the tiny shoe stand off Hampden and I 25. Last I heard he had passed away. He loved police officers and when on the dept I would go and see him in his one man stand....Always a nice man

Last, but not least,,,,,,THANKS to everyone who sent replies to my previous messages on here ..........( my first time on here )....they are all appreciated
Wow, I didn't think anyone would ever remember "SWD". My foster dad used to tend bar there,..and I still have my mom's mink stole that came from Lloyd's

Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM

(You’ll need a nap after reading this one) and please correct any mistakes:

“Teen Line”, “Pearl Drug” on 13th & Pearl, The little bakery across the street from Dora Moore elementary school, The clothing/head shop on 16th called “The Hip Bone”, Hanging out on the wall at “Zeckendorf Plaza”, “The Black Light” Colfax & Ogden, skating at “Mammoth Gardens”, The “Sugar Shack” by East High where “The Esquires”/“The Soul Survivors”/“Sugarloaf” who sang “Green Eyed Lady” used to play. “Spudnut” at Cinderella City, “The International House Of Pancakes” on Colfax & Yosemite, The “Aurora Lounge” with Belinda Carr singing, The “Green Spider”, Don Bell from KIMN late night radio, The“Old Grist Mill” on Speer Blvd., “Hot Tamale” stands on the corners downtown, “Kitty’s Corner” on Colfax & Washington.
This was post “Rugged Room” days. We used to spend every weekend at the “Family Dog” which later became “Posh”, pushing change through the double doors to the guys so they could get in. Terry M comes to mind )
My best friend in elementary school’s mom was an exotic dancer at “The Tropics”, it turned into a great nightclub in the 70’s, was it the “Four Seasons”?
The arcade on Broadway, around the corner from Colfax? A few folks come to mind from there, like, Bill L (had a sister named Mary Ann), Bob L (had a brother named Frank that got killed), Terry M, and Jay P (was a Denver cop last I heard), Jerry W, etc, etc, etc.
"Chicken Delight" in Aurora, The "Blue Onion" Restaurant on E. Colfax
The"Coach and Two" out on West Alameda, and The "Town Crier" in Montbello. I tended bar at both of those places,..they were owned by the same person and he was part owner of “Feyline Presentations”, so I got in backstage to every concert in Denver for a few years. Job perks.
"House Of Draft" on 13th & Pennsylvania, Watching the cars slide down the hill on Colfax by the Capital Building when it would get covered with ice.
The BEST chicken fried steak was at the "Scotchman Drive-In" out on North Federal Blvd. Saw my first streaker there.
In 1963 or so there was a shooting in the halls at Morey Jr High, and one of the 2 that got shot died.

QUESTIONS:
Did “La Pichet” become “My Sweet Ass” and then “My Sweet L’ass”? Does anyone remember the band, “Nasty Benjamin” who used to play there?
What was the name of the Mexican Restaurant that was across the street to the east from “Cherry Creek Shopping Center” in the 80’s?
The name of the band that used to play at “Friday’s & Saturday’s” and at “Mr Lucky’s” where the drummer used to light his drums on fire when they played “Beginnings” by “Chicago”?
The name of the hotel on 17th & Penn, or so, that turned into a girls vocational college.
The name of the little bar on 13th between Pearl & Penn. The owner’s name was Whitey.
And, last but not least, did any of you recognize any of the bikers at the truck stop at the beginning of “Vanishing Point”?

Last edited by cher&cindy; 02-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 53,915 times
I am so glad I found this thread.....have lived here all 51 years of my life! Grew up in Westminster back when it was a stopping point between Denver and Boulder.....GO WARRIORS!! Oh they aren't called that any more! So many memories of all the places mentioned and some I have never heard of. Have not gone though all the posts yet but does anyone remember a building that was visible off of Spear Blvd going into downtown that was on the left and its top would light up at night?

Here are some more places I remember. Downtown between May D&F and the other side of the street....there was an ice cream place called Michelle's I believe. HUGE servings of ice cream. Jim Dandy Fried Chicken on Sheridan close to the old new Westy. Ate there every day at lunch in my senior year! Loved Christmas time on 16th Street with all the displays in the store windows! Mister Donut! The Paramount and The Denver when they were movie theaters...saw The Exorcist at The Denver when it came out....was underage but a friend's dad got us in and then left us there! The Furr's Cafeteria that was close to Ralston Rd. Ate there as a family every Saturday night. We would stop in the bookstore next to it and I would buy a new Nancy Drew mystery and then after dinner would go into the candy store on the other side and buy jelly beans! The decor inside was Tudor! The Lotus Room downtown by the VFW. There was also a wax museum there. The BIG fake tree inside the Villa Italia shopping center. the Woolco by the Westminster Shopping Center. Being excited when they built Northglenn Mall! WOW!!! More to come......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver