U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 15,270 times

Advertisements

[quote=Kevin Preston;4080639]Yum Yum Tree--I think we were only there once. Wasn't it like almost a modern food court, but with better restaurants? Can't quite remember it.

Chicken House???-- Can't remember the name, but they had a train that drove around the top of the walls! My parents didn't like the food there, so we never went back. Maybe it was the Denver Drumstick???

I was just asking a friend if she remembered a place called the Yum Yum Tree...I thought I was the only one who remembered it! And that chicken place with the train! Any idea where either place was?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,144,222 times
I remember the Denver Drumstick. I actually thought there was more than one?
They died out while I was still young, but the one I remember was on Colorado Blvd, not all that far from the Yum Yum Tree.

Does anyone else remember RockyBilt Hamburgers? They would be wrapped in waxpaper and placed in a plain brown paper bag.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM

58 posts, read 357,935 times
The Denver Drumstick had several locations, Lakewood in the JCRS shopping center and also on south Santa Fe at Oxford in Englewood were others.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 AM

2,203 posts, read 8,693,969 times
Anybody remember a cafeteria in Cherry Creek Shopping Center (before it became upscale)? - it wasn't Furr's - I think it began with a "B".

I even remember Daniels & Fishers (May D&F downtown) when I was really little - it was such a treat when Mom would take me there. I remember there was a restaurant on the top floor with really cool kids' menus. I still have one of them.

Fastforward to 70's - KIMN, KBPI, Tom & Somebody in the morning. Sam's on Lookout Mtn, Daught House, Skunk Creek, Tulagi's. Cruisin' Colfax.

And through all those years, there was Elitch's. My mom would tell me about dancing to the Tommy Dorsey band back in the 40's. I know they closed it down a number of years ago. What a shame!!! So what's there now?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Anybody remember a cafeteria in Cherry Creek Shopping Center (before it became upscale)? - it wasn't Furr's - I think it began with a "B".
Isn't it Baur's? I remember it. There was one downtown, too. Sweets were their specialty.
It was definitely a step up from Furr's. My grandma would take us all to dinner there. Once she sent her steak back.
I certainly remember Tulagi's and your other nostalgia. When it came to radio, I was more into KMYR, KTCL, and KBCO.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,329,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
And through all those years, there was Elitch's. My mom would tell me about dancing to the Tommy Dorsey band back in the 40's. I know they closed it down a number of years ago. What a shame!!! So what's there now?
It's a mixed-use housing development, Highland's Garden Village.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM

17,057 posts, read 22,369,836 times
And then for cheap all you can eats there was my favorite-Shakeys! They only done it for few years in the 70's but for a $!.59 the all you can eat was fried chicken, fried potatoes, pizza, and salad. Drinks were extra. They were all over the Denver area but the one I went to the most was on 2nd and Milwaukee, near the present Cherry Creek Mall. There hasn't been any Shakey's pizza parlors in Denver for years but I think the franchise is still going.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And then for cheap all you can eats there was my favorite-Shakeys! They only done it for few years in the 70's but for a $!.59 the all you can eat was fried chicken, fried potatoes, pizza, and salad. Drinks were extra. They were all over the Denver area but the one I went to the most was on 2nd and Milwaukee, near the present Cherry Creek Mall. There hasn't been any Shakey's pizza parlors in Denver for years but I think the franchise is still going.
When I first began teaching preschool, we used to take the kids to Shakey's (the one in Cherry Creek) for a great behind-the-scenes field trip: the Shakey's employees took the kids back into the kitchen and let them put together a pizza. Then the pizza baked.
We looked in the oven.
Ooooh Ahhh.
Afterwards, along with the pizza, each little kid was served a soft drink.
Good ol Shakey's.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM

58 posts, read 357,935 times
Ok, Where was your favorite 4th of July fireworks show?

I remember as a kid growing up in Bear Valley and watching the show from Pinehurst Country Club. And usally the Terrace Swim Club on Hampden and Lowell would have them but it was not as big as Pinehurst.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM

719 posts, read 2,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I remember the Denver Drumstick. I actually thought there was more than one?
They died out while I was still young, but the one I remember was on Colorado Blvd, not all that far from the Yum Yum Tree.

Does anyone else remember RockyBilt Hamburgers? They would be wrapped in waxpaper and placed in a plain brown paper bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Isn't it Baur's? I remember it. There was one downtown, too. Sweets were their specialty.
It was definitely a step up from Furr's. My grandma would take us all to dinner there. Once she sent her steak back.
I certainly remember Tulagi's and your other nostalgia. When it came to radio, I was more into KMYR, KTCL, and KBCO.
Tulagi's...I got Tommy Bolin's autograph there once upon a time. Do you remember that really progressive station KFML? The DJ's would toke-up on the air there. Wasn't RockyBuilt at 29th and Federal? Thats the Jack 'n Grill now, I think.

Last edited by Sockeye; 07-02-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver