Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,909,940 times

Advertisements

I remember going downtown to May D&F and Woolworths with my mom and getting a slice of pizza at Woolworths....

Then watching the people ice skate... Same place they filmed part of Ice Castles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,829,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I remember going downtown to May D&F and Woolworths with my mom and getting a slice of pizza at Woolworths....

Then watching the people ice skate... Same place they filmed part of Ice Castles...
Remember the beautiful Christmas windows?? Still think the downtown Woolworths had the best grilled cheese sandwich and cheap!! Working downtown, that Woolworths and the Denver Dry were major hang outs for me. We had special lunches in the "Denver Tea Room." Ahh.....great memories...

There used to be a REAL fish and chips place on the block where Sam's is located on 15th near Curtis...on the alley, I think. A real Mexican café, on 14th near Champa? Guess I would have some dough in the bank, instead of all of these food memories..oh, well I am happy. (Sometimes the stress and hunger just got the best of me and that old sandwich I ate on my break did not stick!!!!)

Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybuzzer View Post
Does anybody remember abc bowl on colo blvd just south of alameda? That was my area. And the store Big Top on first around Monroe or madison before it was a 7-11?
I remember both places! I never bowled there (bowled in 2 leagues at Celebrity) but I knew people who did. Regarding the Big Top, yea, there were several of them in the Denver metro area in the 1960's and early 1970's. I frequented the one on Belleview and Broadway. They didn't sell gasoline though.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,087,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybuzzer View Post
Does anybody remember abc bowl on colo blvd just south of alameda? That was my area. And the store Big Top on first around Monroe or madison before it was a 7-11?
There are still a few Big Top buildings left in the metro area. The only ones I have seen left are on the west side of town.

Federal Blvd and Jewell Ave, behind Mc Donald's in the Brentwood shopping center.

845 S. Federal Blvd.

6340 W. Mississippi Ave.

Both the Denver Post and Westword have written about their unique architecture.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
Default willie nelson in glendale 1976

In January of 1976 I went to see Willie Nelson perform in a nightclub in Glendale area of Denver. I believe it was actually a jazz club but it was rodeo week and they booked Willie. Of course he was great. Can anyone tell me the club's name and just where it was?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 22,344 times
I think Santiago's on leetsdale was a big top also

Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

Some of my own personal vinyl collection came from the Woolworth cutout record bins. At 99 cents, there were a lot of titles there I scarfed up on. I would buy about a dozen lp's a week. And then there were the Woolco's out in the suburbs I would find a fair amount of lp's as well. The one I bought the most at was on 6th and Peoria in Aurora.

Ah, buying vinyl in the late 60's and 70's!!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,909,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Some of my own personal vinyl collection came from the Woolworth cutout record bins. At 99 cents, there were a lot of titles there I scarfed up on. I would buy about a dozen lp's a week. And then there were the Woolco's out in the suburbs I would find a fair amount of lp's as well. The one I bought the most at was on 6th and Peoria in Aurora.

Ah, buying vinyl in the late 60's and 70's!!
Yep, lived not far from the 6th and Peoria one.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
That was my first job in retail management - the camera and electronics department in FanFare. I was a dismal failure because I had just come from art school in NYC and thought displays should be all artistic and tasteful. I remember the manager of the store telling me to take out my displays and fill up the glass cases with every single piece of merchandise. There was to be nothing in backstock, nothing in the back in the warehouse.

Stacks of film boxes and transistor radios and huge calculators, all stacked inside and on top of the cases.

That was the beginning of stores like K-Mart and WalMart and i hated it. Still do and never ever shop at WalMart or K-Mart.

I've been gone from Denver for maybe 30+ years and really appreciate the trip down memory lane.
BarbH - I faintly remember FanFare from the time we moved to Lowry AFB in 1969 (when my dad was stationed there), and recall walking into the store one time at least. Closed down in the early 70s, didn't it? In any case, I remember a friend of mine saying some kid accidentally shot and killed his dad(?) in the gun section of the store, and that was one of the reasons it might have closed down? Any truth to that? Anyone recall that old story?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medfordnow View Post
I remember the Drumstick, the one we went to was on Santa Fe and had a train go around the ceiling. I also remember the Yum Yum Tree had like 8 different resturants in one. I was reading on and remember the Rocky Built hamburgers too, we used to sneak them into the movies next door to the Rocky Built on Broadway in Englewood.
Gothic Theater....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver