Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

14 posts, read 189,748 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'll be starting a job June 9th in the Highlands Ranch area, and we're trying to figure out where to live.

Neither my fiance or I have ever been to Colorado, but we're extremely excited to move there from all we've seen and read. We're coming from DC... I don't like DC, she HATES it.

So anyway we're looking to get away from the crazy congestion, and into the beautiful region of denver.

We don't know where she'll be working yet... hopefully near highlands ranch somewhere as an admin/exec assistant. I guess at the worst it would be downtown, but can't really be on the north side of denver.

But even though we don't know that yet, we do need to find a place to live.

We might be flying in in the next week or two to check places out, so I need some suggestions.

I've seen some people hate HR, but I don't know a whole lot about the rest of the areas out there. We are looking to rent for between $800-$1000. So that puts us in an apartment, or a small chance of a small single family home. We have a dog (springer spaniel) that likes room to run, so if we can accommodate that with a yard, that would be great. We're not having kids anytime soon, but we're also not big into the bar scene or anything. We would like somewhere that we could make a couple friends to chill with. A safe area is also a big priority.

Based on that can you give me any thoughts?

I appreciate it!

Best,
Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 200,500 times
I lived in HR for a little while and I really liked it. I lived at the Creekside at Highlands Ranch apartments. The prices have gone up a lot, though. HR in general is pretty expensive and the yards aren't huge.

For a yard at your price point, I'd suggest heading down toward Parker maybe. There is more land down that way and more reasonable rental rates. It has a cute downtown, but is farther away from the hustle and bustle of Denver.

Your commute wouldn't be too bad and as long as your wife doesn't end up working on the North side, she should be okay as well, even if her job is downtown, in Aurora, or the DTC. My husband rode the light rail to his job downtown and he liked the commute.

I didn't like Denver itself, but I liked Parker, Castle Rock, and other areas toward the Springs.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:14 PM

182 posts, read 668,232 times
I would look for something near the light rail for ease of commute for both of you.

I'm thinking your budget for a rental is going to be pretty challenging. I wonder if you could take a short term apartment and then find a house that you can share- someone else in the basement perhaps?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Realtor

Ok. So my fiance is going to fly into town next thursday and hunt for a place like a mad woman all friday.

It looks like Parker is definitely more up our alley price wise. There are even a couple small ranch houses for $1000 that could potential work if they aren't in terrible neighborhoods.

We're going to need to find a Realtor that can line up a crazy amount of places for her to look at. Anyone know of someone really decent that could show her a ton of rental properties? Someone who isn't going to just talk her into anything?

Best,
Robert

Old 05-17-2008, 11:12 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
If you are going to work in Highland Ranch, with your budget, and job prospects, then considering Parker is ridiculous. You will spending your money on gas--that is crazy. Consider what Tropicana Rose told you, look for public transportation. You do not have to use it all the time but it is nice when it is needed.

Highland Ranch is actually at the end of a major city road--Broadway. All near and off Broadway there are numerous apartments, and the farther north you go into Denver you can find maybe good values in small house rentals--in cities like Littleton, Englewood and Denver. You will have many choices in value and neighborhoods; from more expensive to the south and less expensive as you go north and again back to expensive as you get close to downtown. These are safe neighborhoods with great character. For example, you have old town Englewood as well as the wonderful Baker neighborhood of Denver. Denver is not like many cities; it is not as dense and you can find suburban type neighborhoods mixed in with more denser urban areas.

In addition, you will access to the Broadway Buses which run frequently and often. Also the Light Rail goes north and south on the Southwest Line and gives you more access with stations and feeder buses.

Also, your wife will find numerous good options for jobs that she can commute on public transport. Your concerns and comments about Downtown Denver as being the "worse", needs to be checked---you will be very much surprised how nice and pleasant it is to work in the Downtown of our Great City.

I would work backwards, first look at the RTD website, see the public transportation, and then find a home near a good route to your job. That is the way to find a place to live, make better choices and you can live cheaper and
Livecontent

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Your price range is quite doable for a 2 BR apt in south Denver. My DD has an apt near DU for $650, two BR, one bath. Older, but not ancient, building.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your price range is quite doable for a 2 BR apt in south Denver. My DD has an apt near DU for $650, two BR, one bath. Older, but not ancient, building.
Designated driver?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygolucky View Post
Designated driver?
Dear daughter.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Dear daughter.
I was going to say, typically you'd want your designated driver to live a little closer.

K well my fiance Jen is heading out thursday to hunt for places, so any last minute suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert

Old 05-18-2008, 07:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Sounds like a no-brainer to me-- if you work in Highlands Ranch, and you want to live in a suburban area, then live in.... Highlands Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver