Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,387,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphles View Post
noahma-me too please
No probs, I just sent you a PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,468,253 times
Avoid the suburbs; there is just more money to be lost there.

You described in your post Stapleton, which is more central and has appreciated through the downturn; for now at least. New, better planned, nationally recognized -- but at a higher price.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,387,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Avoid the suburbs; there is just more money to be lost there.

You described in your post Stapleton, which is more central and has appreciated through the downturn; for now at least. New, better planned, nationally recognized -- but at a higher price.
Bradburn too has lost very little value and has held up very well
I will let bradburn1 fill in the rest on the sub-division. It is a very well planned sub-division by developers that are very well known for there new-urbanist sub-divisions.

Sorry for any miss typed words, I typed and posted this on my iPod touch

Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM

698 posts, read 2,040,123 times
I live in Bradburn. Housing prices have held up very well here, most with very little depreciation and some with small appreciation-especially when compared to surrounding areas. There have been a few foreclosures, mostly homes built by small builders (all custom--some awesome deals too) but overall the neighborhood is very stable.

Buying close to the city core doesn't guarantee stable home prices or appreciation--it's heavily dependent on the individual neighborhood. An analysis of home price changes by the Denver Post (on their website under Real Estate) from June 07 to June 08 shows Stapleton with an average price decrease of 3.1 %. Cherry Creek however, shows a 27% increase in average home price (average price btw is 1.2 mil so no wonder). By comparison, Bradburn shows a 5.3% increase in average home price over the same period.

This isn't to say I think buying closer to the city core is a bad idea, I most certainly do not, and I love Stapleton. I'm all for reducing commute time by the largest amount possible whenever possible, and think future real estate and energy trends will promote more urban living--but the picture is not so simple as urban neighborhood=price stability or increase, suburb=price decrease, at least not in Denver, now Phoenix I bet is another matter!

Bradburn is close to the tech center of Interlocken, Boulder, and a 30 minute bus ride to downtown from our great and close park n rides--my partner is IT so this location is ideal for us, and while it is surrounded by suburbia, the neighborhood itself is much more urban (is a new urbanist, walkable neighborhood) and I can walk to almost everything I need--including the grocery store, restaurants, shops, my doctor's office, my dentist etc..which I often do because I loathe driving.

Last edited by Bradburn1; 01-11-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM

291 posts, read 908,575 times
I agree the commute from Bradburn will take longer that 20 minutes. I've had other transplans ask me about those "California type" of neighborhoods where you could walk to everything, however, they're far and few in between, here. I agree old Littleton would work, but most of the houses that are within walking distance are old and small. There are more in your price range as you move from the city core, but then you aren't in walking distance. Golden might work but homes there don't come on the market very often. I've been told many sell before they hit the market. You may want to give up on the "walk to" concept and just realize you're living in a different part of the country. I grew up where there was lots of lakes, which isn't the case here. Once I accepted that fact, it was easy to make the transition. Once you let go of that item on your wish list, it will open all sorts of options for you and your family. I say that because you said you wanted a place to make you kids fall in love with Colorado. Try looking on the west part of the suburbs. There's some great places here. I live in Ken-Caryl Ranch and I have pics in one of my albums. Once people move here, it's hard to get them to move. You would be looking at about a 45 minute commute from here. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM

43 posts, read 102,181 times
Default 40 somethings

how is bradburn for forty somethings with launched kids....?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM

698 posts, read 2,040,123 times
Depends. If you are social and outgoing, it's great--there is a different mix of people here some empty nesters, some retired etc.. but most, I'd say about 80% of the houses are couples from 30-45 with kids under 10.

Neighborhood is very, very social--it's a lot like a small town where everyone knows each other and we have very frequent neighborhood social events. Kids running around everywhere--although we have a few social events that are adults only like our wine tasting night. I am a super social person so this suits me very well, but if that's not your cup of tea, Bradburn might not be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver