Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should we move to?
Denver, CO 80 74.77%
Orlando, FL 9 8.41%
Other 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 PM

8 posts, read 32,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenShores View Post
I've lived in Orlando for seven years and I can't take it anymore. Rude New Yorkers(and New Jerseyites), bad crime(got robbed a few times), bad schools, mediocre restarants, crappy sports town(no NFL, MLS, MLB, NHL), too many bugs, no mass transit. I could go on for pages. I've been looking all over the US for a great all around city and for me, nothing compares to Denver. Go Broncos.
Dude, I'm from cocoa beach and I agree, ORLANDO BLOWS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
Denver is one of my favorite cities in the World and in every single category blows away Florida. I took a two year consultants job with my company in Orlando. I've lived in eight cities around the country and can honestly say Orlando is the worst place I've ever lived in or visited. Denver has mountains, Orlando is flat, Denver has a change of seasons Orlando doesn't, Denver has Buffalo, Orlando has roaches, Denver english is the 1st language, Orlando Spanish is the 1st language. Denver has incredible brewpubs Orlando doesn't, Denver has great restaurants, Orlando has nothing but chains, Denver has crime in some areas, Orlando has rampant crime, Denver has pro football, hockey basketball, and baseball, Orlando has just basketball, Denver you can fly to anywhere in the US in 3 hours, Orlando is in a remote corner of the US, Denver has history, orlando is a transient community with low end service workers who only moved there to work low end service jobs brought on by theme parks. Denver has culture, Orlando has none. Florida is a wonderful place to vacation in the winter for a week but an absolutely awful place to live, of all the places in Florida Orlando is by far the worst, tolls every 3 miles. Tampa is a much better city than Orlando but there is no comparison between any Florida city and Denver. Flat ugly cookie cutter homes and a transient population, and I live in Orlando so clearly I'm not bias. You are a prisoner to your home in Orlando from May to October because the weather is absolutely unbearable and the beach is 45 minutes away.
omg man, you nailed it.. I'm 45 min from orlando (cocoa beach) and i have to agree about what you said not to the fullest degree. I acutally just moved to Denver. I have to say I miss the beach but everything else so far is 99% better here. reading this just afimed to me what i thought all along and makes my move feel that much better, thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
Umm you are extremely biased, you are an incessant critic of Orlando in these forums for whatever reason. I'm not knocking Denver in any way since I haven't lived there, but I love living in the Orlando area, and just hope you don't base your decision on the basis of a few very vocal people who insist on bashing the area.
You love Orlando because you haven't been to DENVER!! this guy has been places and can compare.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
I've been to all 3: Denver, Orlando, and Tampa, and even lived in Cape Canaveral for a short while and in the Pensacola area for a few years. All 3 were on my list to investigate for my top 5 places to retire. Orlando quickly missed the cut because of the horrendous traffic, lackluster downtown, and coming up short versus other cities on pedestrian/bike trails linking downtown to the suburbs. Tampa Bay faired much better with its Pinellas Trail, Suncoast Pkwy Trail, Bayshore Blvd Trail, great Gulf Beaches, and great downtown. It almost beat out Dallas for the #5 spot, but I wanted somewhere I could drop a kayak in, and I'm too afraid I'll run across some gators if I do so in that area. Denver came in #1 for me and my interests. But IF I was going to live anywhere in Florida again before I retire, I would definitely try to make it be the Tampa Bay area.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
On the plus side, since Tampa is primarily a Hispanic city, you can find some great latin food. (You cant find that in Denver)
I'm really surprised to hear that, especially since Denver has a fairly sizeable latin population. Although I think Denver's latin population is more Mexican than Cuban, and perhaps that is the difference since Tampa has a fairly strong Cuban culture component. Personally I happen to prefer Cuban cuisine to Mexican cuisine, although I'm ok with both. Anyway, is that what you mean when you say you can't find great latin food in Denver- Cuban food offerings?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Orlando. Florida is sunnier and warmer. Denver is sunnier, but they get snow.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:42 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
I have lived in Jacksonville most of my life and I plan on moving to Denver in the next year or two. I dont like Florida much but to be fair I am sick of it, I have been here for 25 years and the only thing keeping me here is my wife. She has been to Colorado now and loves it.

The things I dont like about florida is how flat it is and one thing Im shocked nobody has mentioned is how terrible the public school system is, atleast in Jacksonville. One thing I see people mention they dont like about Denver is they feel isolated, well you will pretty much have the same feeling in Florida, any city is more of the same and you have to drive pretty much to the carolinas to get any change of senerey which is a LONG drive.

If I had to live in Florida though I would pick Tampa over any other city here and its not even close.

So its up to you, you want the beach life or the mountain life.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

53 posts, read 223,446 times
Checking in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopswillprosper View Post
You love Orlando because you haven't been to DENVER!! this guy has been places and can compare.
I left Denver a few months ago after being there for 2 years. I couldn't take it much anymore. I am currently in the Northeast.

I visited Orlando/Central Florida a weekend ago for the first time since I moved away over 3 years ago. Central Fla was my home for almost 7 years. I am frantically looking for a job in Orlando, I terribly miss it and can't wait to go back!

So, each personality prefers their own environments. Seek each out personally and make a decision.

It be nice to whoever is bashing Orlando (or where ever they live) would just move to where they want to be. I can appreciate Denver, but it wasn't for me, so instead of bashing it, I just left it.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I would pick Denver. Denver has more to do, more to see, more than Orlando or Tampa.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM

28 posts, read 94,454 times
I just moved from Orlando to Denver. Orlando is a cool city. Depending in what part of town you live there are things to do. If you live by the attractions it's tourist madness and can get really old after a while. Not many locals hang out in the Disney area because it's always crowded and the traffic is terrible. Orlando is about 45 minutes from the closest beach. One thing I disliked a lot about Orlando is that they put subdivisions up everywhere and anywhere destroying all of it's natural lands. It has become very overcrowded there. Houses are dirt cheap down there because there are so many to chose from and so many foreclosures happening. Winter Park and College Park are two very hip and trendy parts of Orlando. WP is expensive but has a lot of restaurants and very nice houses there also. The downtown nightlife is ok. There are some cool bars to go to and they do have clubs, but not the amount as they do in Denver. It just depends on what you're looking for in that dept. The summers can get brutally hot down there and you always have to worry about hurricanes. It seems to be more common the past few years. Usually Orlando doesn't get hit too bad but I would say since 2004 something has come through there every year. T.S. Fay destroyed Orlando and that was a rain storm. As far as Denver I don't believe you have many natural disasters. There is snow but from what everyone says and what I have witnessed, (I've been here 2 weeks) it will snow one day and the next day the sun is out and the snow melts. I moved here for the mountains, change of scenery, weather and winter sports such as snowboarding, . So far everything has been great. My work commute was the same distance here as it was in ORL and it takes me less time to get to work living in Denver. Denver is also a big sports city where Orlando only has pro basketball. Good luck on your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver