Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 08:24 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Sheridan View Post
Yeah, I get what you are saying. Sometimes you just get tired of a place and are kinda over it. The suburbs have some advantages but they can also be dull or feel isolated to me. Yet, you'd have some space, quiet, and not have to worry about car parts being ripped off. I find I tend to get into my routine in a 3 mile radius around my house most of the time. We are empty nesters so I'd worry that the suburbs could be a little slow with my husband and I just twiddling our thumbs watching too much Netflix and staring out the window watching families load in and out of their SUVs. I'd really like to live near one of the nice city parks if/when (more like when) we move out there. I'd be nice to have a few neighborhood haunts to walk to for a meal or drink as well. Denver is ranked something like 86th on crime for US cities so that's not too bad. I would be darn angry though if they took a part off my car!!
I was afraid of the ‘burbs being dull when I moved, but I actually love it way more than I loved living in the City and County of Denver. In Denver, I lived near the intersection of Monaco/Leetsdale in the Washington-Virginia Vale neighborhood. It was fine while I lived there, but I’ve moved on from that. No desire to go back especially with the current state of affairs there re: crime, homelessness, and this hopeless sense of ‘not being able to do anything about either of those, and the police and COVID are at fault for it.’

I now live near a large park and there are a ton of hiking trails, mountain bike opportunities associated with that, and a ton of other places for that within reasonable driving distance because I’m near the foothills. There are plenty of good restaurants around that aren’t chains. I go to the gym, take music lessons (stringed instruments), meet friends for lunch, have a garden in spring/summer, and go into the mountains/foothills frequently. There are other activities as well and some museums to see, live music (in Golden), some nightlife, etc. I wouldn’t say there are more activities than Denver, but I also had the concern about being bored and I’m not, I actually love it way more than living in Denver.

The ‘burbs vary in terms of feel. If you’re picturing sterile cookie-cutter cul-de-sac style neighborhoods like that you would see in Southeast Aurora, that’s not what my house or neighborhood is like. My neighborhood is mostly 1950s brick homes with some newer homes sprinkled throughout, organized on a street grid. We’ve got sidewalks, neighbors who you see outside, some things you can walk to (parks and a few smaller restaurants and breweries), although it is lower density than downtown Denver or the surrounding neighborhoods like Capitol Hill. So it’s not quite that stereotypical suburban vibe that some people might be picturing.

Based on what you’re saying, you might like one of the many Denver neighborhoods that were once streetcar suburbs vs living in downtown Denver, like West Highlands, Berkeley, Wash Park, Hilltop around Holly/Cedar, etc. Even in the ‘burbs you can find what you’re looking for. Wheat Ridge has an old downtown. Old Town Arvada is nice. Golden is nice. Morrison has a small downtown. So you could live near a park and have a small cluster of shops and restaurants you could walk to, even in these areas.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:16 AM

105 posts, read 66,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I was afraid of the ‘burbs being dull when I moved, but I actually love it way more than I loved living in the City and County of Denver. In Denver, I lived near the intersection of Monaco/Leetsdale in the Washington-Virginia Vale neighborhood. It was fine while I lived there, but I’ve moved on from that. No desire to go back especially with the current state of affairs there re: crime, homelessness, and this hopeless sense of ‘not being able to do anything about either of those, and the police and COVID are at fault for it.’

I now live near a large park and there are a ton of hiking trails, mountain bike opportunities associated with that, and a ton of other places for that within reasonable driving distance because I’m near the foothills. There are plenty of good restaurants around that aren’t chains. I go to the gym, take music lessons (stringed instruments), meet friends for lunch, have a garden in spring/summer, and go into the mountains/foothills frequently. There are other activities as well and some museums to see, live music (in Golden), some nightlife, etc. I wouldn’t say there are more activities than Denver, but I also had the concern about being bored and I’m not, I actually love it way more than living in Denver.

The ‘burbs vary in terms of feel. If you’re picturing sterile cookie-cutter cul-de-sac style neighborhoods like that you would see in Southeast Aurora, that’s not what my house or neighborhood is like. My neighborhood is mostly 1950s brick homes with some newer homes sprinkled throughout, organized on a street grid. We’ve got sidewalks, neighbors who you see outside, some things you can walk to (parks and a few smaller restaurants and breweries), although it is lower density than downtown Denver or the surrounding neighborhoods like Capitol Hill. So it’s not quite that stereotypical suburban vibe that some people might be picturing.

Based on what you’re saying, you might like one of the many Denver neighborhoods that were once streetcar suburbs vs living in downtown Denver, like West Highlands, Berkeley, Wash Park, Hilltop around Holly/Cedar, etc. Even in the ‘burbs you can find what you’re looking for. Wheat Ridge has an old downtown. Old Town Arvada is nice. Golden is nice. Morrison has a small downtown. So you could live near a park and have a small cluster of shops and restaurants you could walk to, even in these areas.
I think I was picturing more sterile suburbs with more just chain restaurants and strip malls. Kind of a stark and barren place. My husband has mentioned the places you mention as viable options and cited some of the advantages you talk about with proximity to trails, foothills, quiet, and plenty of good restaurants etc.

Something to consider BUT I do have my heart set on a historic home, if possible. Also, husband would like to avoid traffic to and from work so maybe the metro neighborhoods might be better. I get what you are saying though. You probably feel you have a bit more space, more chill and relaxed vibe in ways, maybe cleaner and more pristine than areas closer to the city. No worries about crime and keeping a window open at night when sleeping. It's definitely something to consider and check out. That does sound appealing in a lot of ways.

Someone who lives in a Denver neighborhood mentioned to my husband that they have homeless people hanging around in their alley near their garage. I mean, I feel terrible for people in that situation but at the same time that would get pretty old to deal with if it was a regular thing. I think our plan is to get out there and just rent for a few months and get a good lay of the land and all of the neighborhoods. Plus, I gotta see where the house prices are going this year as far as some continued depreciation/leveling out post-pandemic and with interest rates potentially going up and up.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:28 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
That might come in handy if you catch someone trying to steal your catalytic converter!
Not likely. Our VW ID.4 is our only car.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:11 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
I think I was picturing more sterile suburbs with more just chain restaurants and strip malls. Kind of a stark and barren place. My husband has mentioned the places you mention as viable options and cited some of the advantages you talk about with proximity to trails, foothills, quiet, and plenty of good restaurants etc.

Something to consider BUT I do have my heart set on a historic home, if possible. Also, husband would like to avoid traffic to and from work so maybe the metro neighborhoods might be better. I get what you are saying though. You probably feel you have a bit more space, more chill and relaxed vibe in ways, maybe cleaner and more pristine than areas closer to the city. No worries about crime and keeping a window open at night when sleeping. It's definitely something to consider and check out. That does sound appealing in a lot of ways.

Someone who lives in a Denver neighborhood mentioned to my husband that they have homeless people hanging around in their alley near their garage. I mean, I feel terrible for people in that situation but at the same time that would get pretty old to deal with if it was a regular thing. I think our plan is to get out there and just rent for a few months and get a good lay of the land and all of the neighborhoods. Plus, I gotta see where the house prices are going this year as far as some continued depreciation/leveling out post-pandemic and with interest rates potentially going up and up.
I think you’ve got a good plan to rent first, see what neighborhoods appeal most to you, and then make decisions from there.

Any of the areas I mentioned have historic homes mixed in with newer homes although generally historic homes are closer to the amenities within walking distance and are priced accordingly, i.e. expensive.

Re: the homeless, I’m following the race for Mayor and City Council in Denver and there are quite a mix of candidates. Even though I don’t live there and won’t be voting in any of those races, there definitely aren’t a lack of candidates who are pushing policy that in my opinion, would only help to continue/exacerbate the issues I see as being problematic for Denver right now. So that’s something to watch as well as you think about your move, to see what agenda wins next month.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
When I moved here in 1980 from greater Boston, the Midwest nice drove me up the wall. Thankfully, I have retained most of my Mass-ole*ishness.
The MH-ness comes in handy for confronting the real buttholes, Denver or elsewhere.

Other than that, I prefer to adapt some to the local style, which is less confrontational. I left MA for several reasons, and while being straightforward appeals to me, flat-out rudeness does not (unless politeness fails).

NYC style rubs me the wrong way. I do keep in mind that that’s their adaptation to where they used to live.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I think you’ve got a good plan to rent first, see what neighborhoods appeal most to you, and then make decisions from there.

Any of the areas I mentioned have historic homes mixed in with newer homes although generally historic homes are closer to the amenities within walking distance and are priced accordingly, i.e. expensive.

Re: the homeless, I’m following the race for Mayor and City Council in Denver and there are quite a mix of candidates. Even though I don’t live there and won’t be voting in any of those races, there definitely aren’t a lack of candidates who are pushing policy that in my opinion, would only help to continue/exacerbate the issues I see as being problematic for Denver right now. So that’s something to watch as well as you think about your move, to see what agenda wins next month.
Thank you! I appreciate all this helpful information!

Old 03-20-2023, 08:22 AM

202 posts, read 147,955 times
Quote:
I used to live in the City and County of Denver, but I moved to the ‘burbs around 8 years ago and honestly, haven’t looked back. I used to work downtown, but I haven’t worked downtown since 2020, and haven’t looked back in that regard either. Since then, I think I’ve been downtown maybe 3-4 times? Although I have been to other parts of Denver more often than that, as I still go to the dentist in Denver and my barber just moved into a shop in Berkeley.

For me, it’s not that I feel unsafe or afraid, but I don’t agree with the current city leadership (and I guess, by extension, a majority of the residents who vote for these people and policies) when it comes to things like dealing with homelessness, police, and crime, and don’t feel like risking the catalytic converter in my truck being stolen or the entire truck stolen for that matter. I do feel like there’s a general aire of lawlessness in Denver and folks blame COVID or the police and act like none of this can be resolved, even though I remember a time not so long ago when Denver wasn’t like this.

There’s really nothing in Denver that I can’t find anywhere else, except for maybe a sporting event or concert.

So, I’ve changed my habits and I mostly do other things and go other places.
Great post. I live out in the burbs but commute in to downtown Denver every day for work, usually via the light rail, and it has changed dramatically over the last few years. Not to get political because I consider myself to be Independent, but the policies that the government has enacted have really taken their toll on the city. The homelessness is out of control, but unfortunately I'm not sure what the solution is. I have never personally felt unsafe, but I have noticed quite a change in the city pre and post Covid. And, the decision to make auto theft a misdemeanor is something that I will never understand.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:

I've always lived in the walkable suburbs (first in Denver Tech Center and now north of Denver near Broomfield) and thought it would be useful to chime in. When I first started posting people made fun of the term walkable suburbs. But I could walk to several grocery stores, post office, library, car repair and my office. Great rec. center nearby, hiking in the foothills a short drive away, walking paths through my neighborhood. Lots of good restaurants in all directions. I was happy as a clam.

Then moved to a one acre place in the north. I can now walk to three grocery stores, several malls, around a lake with mountain views, over many miles of trails, see horses, livestock, chickens etc., 1 mile to a major hospital, probably 100 restaurants and of course car repair so we can drop off a car and walk home. There are rec centers in all directions with every conceivable activity. Free outdoor concerts at the mall, events by the cities in the parks, hiking groups etc. If you can think of it, you can find it.

Many of the areas around Denver that are considered suburbs were originally their own little towns. The Denver Metro area has grown up around them and filled in space so it looks like a continuous area. However the result is you can find quaint historic down towns in many areas. We also tend to have good independent restaurants in all areas. Interesting, active people populate these areas and as a result they have activities and amenities that are driven by the residents interests.

The quality of life is high in almost all areas as parks, trails, restaurant, rec centers, health care etc are throughout.

Unfortunately the catalytic converter crime is everywhere so find a house with a garage. Nextdoor shows alot of people wandering around at night trying car doors and I don't think most would say it is smart to sleep with a window open if it is accessible from the outside.

I would say you don't have the visible homeless problem like you do in downtown or closer in to Denver neighborhoods. In many areas the traffic isn't too bad like some of the more popular areas. Also the stores and restaurant crowding/volume will be higher in the more popular areas like the south suburbs of Denver and the old street car suburbs.

When you start to check out areas be sure to go into the places you would regularly shop at or eat at to check out how easy it is to do. Some people prefer more hustle and bustle and some people prefer a more laid back environment.

Old 03-20-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I've always lived in the walkable suburbs (first in Denver Tech Center and now north of Denver near Broomfield) and thought it would be useful to chime in. When I first started posting people made fun of the term walkable suburbs. But I could walk to several grocery stores, post office, library, car repair and my office. Great rec. center nearby, hiking in the foothills a short drive away, walking paths through my neighborhood. Lots of good restaurants in all directions. I was happy as a clam.

Then moved to a one acre place in the north. I can now walk to three grocery stores, several malls, around a lake with mountain views, over many miles of trails, see horses, livestock, chickens etc., 1 mile to a major hospital, probably 100 restaurants and of course car repair so we can drop off a car and walk home. There are rec centers in all directions with every conceivable activity. Free outdoor concerts at the mall, events by the cities in the parks, hiking groups etc. If you can think of it, you can find it.

Many of the areas around Denver that are considered suburbs were originally their own little towns. The Denver Metro area has grown up around them and filled in space so it looks like a continuous area. However the result is you can find quaint historic down towns in many areas. We also tend to have good independent restaurants in all areas. Interesting, active people populate these areas and as a result they have activities and amenities that are driven by the residents interests.

The quality of life is high in almost all areas as parks, trails, restaurant, rec centers, health care etc are throughout.

Unfortunately the catalytic converter crime is everywhere so find a house with a garage. Nextdoor shows alot of people wandering around at night trying car doors and I don't think most would say it is smart to sleep with a window open if it is accessible from the outside.

I would say you don't have the visible homeless problem like you do in downtown or closer in to Denver neighborhoods. In many areas the traffic isn't too bad like some of the more popular areas. Also the stores and restaurant crowding/volume will be higher in the more popular areas like the south suburbs of Denver and the old street car suburbs.

When you start to check out areas be sure to go into the places you would regularly shop at or eat at to check out how easy it is to do. Some people prefer more hustle and bustle and some people prefer a more laid back environment.
All great info, thank you, thank you!

Old 03-29-2023, 05:59 PM

146 posts, read 123,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
When I moved here in 1980 from greater Boston, the Midwest nice drove me up the wall. Thankfully, I have retained most of my Mass-ole*ishness.
Except Denver is not in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver