Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:20 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I would rather have them not play sad, distressing music over title cards like "first Hispanic mayor in Denver" and "first African-American mayor in Denver." In most of the documentary, there is no reason for music at all. What was the purpose of that selection of music, except to somehow equate minorities with something bad? No need for it at all, and clearly shows the agenda this guy is pushing.

These "documentaries" do nothing but stir up emotion. And I have no time or energy to fact-check every single statement in that hit piece to determine if "everything that was said is true." Nor do you.
You are way too touchy over nothing. There are plenty of real things to get offended over in life instead of not liking the choice of music. Or the fact that Denver is a real mess.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:41 PM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Which is an over simplistic point of view which leaves out some very important facts. Facts before feelings is always better.

>>>"The Lanterman-Petris-Short act signed by Reagan was a bipartisan bill
that passed a completely Democrat-dominated state legislature with only
one 'nay' vote in the assembly, and the bill reflected the
recommendations of the mental health profession."<<<

Now for how the release of mental patients began. It didn't start, or end with Reagan.

NY Times article written Oct. 30, 1984

"Dr. Brown, then an executive of the National Institute of Mental Health and now president of Hahnemann University in Philadelphia, stated candidly in an interview: ''Yes, the doctors were overpromising for the politicians. The doctors did not believe that community care would cure schizophrenia, and we did allow ourselves to be somewhat misrepresented.''

''They ended up with everything but the kitchen sink without the issue of long-term funding being settled,'' he said. ''That was the overpromising.''

Dr. Brown said he and the other architects of the community centers legislation believed that while there was a risk of homelessness, that it would not happen if Federal, state, local and private financial support ''was sufficient'' to do the job.

Resources Vanished Quickly"

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/s...nts-began.html

---------------------
Ummm, yeah, this.

Good thread, newbie OP. I agree with you.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:29 PM

146 posts, read 123,240 times
I have lived between downtown and the Cherry Creek mall since the '90s. It was gone WAY downhill. There is very little parking and traffic enforcement, not much code enforcement, bum camps are all over the place, crime is up, costs are up, etc. Law enforcement is minimal. It's a lot more crowded, too. I am thinking seriously about getting out of Dodge.

You wanna hear something funny? Call 720-913-2000, option 0. If you get a recording, they say that "all call takers are baby." This laughable incompetence has been on display for over a year!
Keep in mind that that THIS is the Denver that the majority of voters wants. Yup, they voted for this.
We have a dope of a mayor, and most on the city council are dolts. Stupid people in power. It never goes well.
A newspaper columnist recently said that he hopes that the mayor doesn't do more damage in his last year. The next mayor will be just as bad (or worse) than the current idiot.
But again, this is what voters voted for.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,672 times
Well,I have made the very difficult and sad decision this week to leave Colorado due to being unable to afford it. I don’t believe I’ve overblown the issues here, I’m devastated to be priced out of the place I call(ed) home.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:47 AM

12 posts, read 7,599 times
Good luck. Where you moving to sunflower?

Old 08-19-2022, 06:14 AM

389 posts, read 399,085 times
I think it seems this way because of the homeless and drug use. It’s just careless, in my opinion. In 2013 I found my way to Denver after traveling from Nebraska. There were homeless near the Greyhound station. There were so many homeless teenagers.

I use the word careless because people act like their homes are on the street. Technically, if you live on the street, your house is the city. I saw people doing various drugs and stuff like they were sitting on their couch.

I didn’t change my opinion on Denver, however. The police know what’s going on. I don’t think the city itself has gone downhill. I think the inhabitants are not acting appropriately to the general public.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:08 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerGirl727 View Post
Well,I have made the very difficult and sad decision this week to leave Colorado due to being unable to afford it. I don’t believe I’ve overblown the issues here, I’m devastated to be priced out of the place I call(ed) home.
So, which seat on the Titanic are you trading for?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-21-2022 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-12-2022, 03:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Im in Denver with my family right now. We flew in last night for the AVS game tonight and we are staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Its a rough area. I made a comment to my husband how many homeless people there are everywhere..its really noticeable. And many stores are closed. Kind of sad.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:40 PM

405 posts, read 448,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im in Denver with my family right now. We flew in last night for the AVS game tonight and we are staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Its a rough area. I made a comment to my husband how many homeless people there are everywhere..its really noticeable. And many stores are closed. Kind of sad.
It's all a matter of perspective and experience. Someone from Brooklyn, St. Louis or Los Angeles would be pleasantly surprised by how contained the homeless are in Denver. (Sure fewer of them than 1-2 years ago.)

Old 10-12-2022, 09:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
It's all a matter of perspective and experience. Someone from Brooklyn, St. Louis or Los Angeles would be pleasantly surprised by how contained the homeless are in Denver. (Sure fewer of them than 1-2 years ago.)
I live in Brooklyn and visited a couple of months ago. Downtown Denver seemed substantially more desolate than downtown Brooklyn while the number of homeless seems somewhat similar. I think downtown Brooklyn having a lot of non-homeless people going about their business and most storefronts open with some doing very brisk business made downtown Denver feel a lot sketchier in comparison. I reckon that will improve as downtown commercial office space adjusts prices and leases so that prices meet demand levels, and perhaps even convert some to residential, as in other city downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver