U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,861,352 times
Reputation: 1594

Advertisements

What are the neighborhoods such as Globeville and where Rocky Mountain Lake Park are- just north and west of Downtown LIke?

Are they congested?

Can you find a house with a nice view of both the skyline and the mountains?

What's just north and into Adams County like?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
 
2,755 posts, read 12,146,708 times
Reputation: 1496
Just so you know, Rocky Mountain Lake Park is in the Berkley Area, not Globeville. Globeville starts only east of the Railroad Tracks which are approximately at Jason or Inca, about a mile east of Rocky Mountain Lake Park.

Globeville is a sad story, a lower-income neighborhood essentially destroyed when two interstate highways (I-25 and I-70) bulldozed right through the neighborhood, slicing it up into four little pieces, all of which are frankly in sad shape. I don't see much of a bright future for the remnants in the short term.

Berkeley, on the other hand, is booming. It's the neighborhood mainly in between the two lake parks: Rocky Mtn Lake Park (as you mentioned) and its namesake Berkeley lake. Tennyson Street, the main shopping district, traditionally the main street of North Denver, is being spruced up as we speak.

Adams County, to the north of the Regis campus, is mostly a big step down from Denver (at least at the present time). Parts of the area are also called Berkeley, but the story is mostly different from the neighborhood in Denver. There are a few upscale houses built there around some of the lakes, but by and large the infrastructure is mostly crumbling, and the whole area up to the borders with the suburbs of Westminster or Arvada has the air of neglect -- there's actually quite a noticeable and dramatic change for the better once you hit the borders of those two suburbs, so it's a bit of a no-mans-land. Denver is of course forbidden to expand onto Adams County, but it's a pity Arvada or another suburb can't take the area under its wing because it does have potential, it's just completely neglected by the county officials up in Brighton.

Can you find a house with a view of both the downtown skyline? I'm sure you can, if you can find some high ground. North Denver is not really known for its mountain views, however, though city views are easy to come by. Your best bet may be near Inspiration Point Park on the extreme northwest corner of the city of Denver. That area is on a hill and does not lack for views in either direction.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 14,160,641 times
Reputation: 6954
It is interesting that tfox mentioned Inspiration Point Park in Denver. Most people do not even know it exist. It is one of the neat little parks in Denver. It is just west of Sheridan South of 50th, across from Willis Case Golf Course. Just at the foot of this hill is the Campfire's Girls camp--I do not know if it is still operational. It has a nice few of some areas of the northwest suburbs. There are just a few homes on this same hill just north of the park. I go there occassionally to sit and look; I used to bike to there but today I cannot. To me it reminds me of the "lover's lane" overlook where you would take your girl.

The whole area in this Northwest Section of Denver and the immediate suburbs has such a history. These parks were developed in the early part of the 20th Century as a good day trip from Denver and where on the streetcar lines. We have Berkeley Lake, Rocky Mountain Lake. There is Lake Rhoda, inside Lakeside Amusement Park which is a relic from an earlier age of entertainment. Just south of this area, we have Sloan's Lake which once had a beach. It is so nice to see the new interest in this area. I think it will become of the most desirable area of Denver.

Tfox is correct on the description of Adams county, just Northwest of Denver. However, it does have some interesting sites. There is Regis College which sits actually in Denver right on the border.

Going North on Tennyson, from West 46th you will be on the east side of Berkeley Lake Park. If you go under the highway, you will discover the most beautiful range of homes on the hills, to the east of Tennyson, across from Willis Case Golf Course, which surrounds the Shriners Temple on West 50th. You will get a nice view over the western area on this area of Tennyson.

Going up on Tennyson past 52nd, the denver boundary you will run into some homes that are a little frayed and some businesses. You will go over Clear Creek and it has biking and hiking trails along side; it goes west to the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt and has paved paths off to Ralston Creek in Arvada and it goes east a very long distance to the Northeast through many areas of Adams County and meets the Platt River Greenway. However, you will also pass a wildlife preserve, a big area of lakes formed from gravel mining that is going to be coverted into a regional park by Highland's Hills Recreation District. This abuts the preserve to the south. Just north of this area is Baker's Reservoir, owned by the City of Westminster with development trails.

Going North on Lowell, you will pass Rocky Mountain Lake on the east and then you will be on the west side of Regis University in the Regis neighborhood of Denver. Going further north you will come into some agricultural land and greenhouses; they sell nice produce during the summer. You will also pass the eastern side of Baker's Reservoir.

The area that is problematic is more north on Federal, going north of I-70. There is many businesses that need some improvement. However, there will be a rail stop on Gold Commuter Line in this area and it will encourage much improvement. Also, in this area is the Marycrest convent. They used to have a high school there but now it has many residential homes for the elderly and the handicapped; it is nicely developed.

I live near here in Arvada and that is why I am very descriptive of the area. I have seen it is rapidly changing with better development but It still maintains some of the identities of a rural area, some small truck farms and with huge parks and lakes. It is worth a trip to check it out.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-27-2008 at 05:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,861,352 times
Reputation: 1594
Thanks Fox and Content- there are so many variables to consider, that one day you want to go to one place - the next its somewhere else. When I go there, I change my mind all over again. There seems to be a nice building just west of Water World and bordering that park but reviews of Federal Heights are mixed. Someone also mentioned traffic is worse north-south than say to the west. Where I live now and during the winters ( Rockport TX) traffic is defined as when I hear a car stop and someone yelling out the window "Alex please move over" (My doggie liked to nap in the middle of the st)

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 24,590,468 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Thanks Fox and Content- there are so many variables to consider, that one day you want to go to one place - the next its somewhere else. When I go there, I change my mind all over again. There seems to be a nice building just west of Water World and bordering that park but reviews of Federal Heights are mixed. Someone also mentioned traffic is worse north-south than say to the west. Where I live now and during the winters ( Rockport TX) traffic is defined as when I hear a car stop and someone yelling out the window "Alex please move over" (My doggie liked to nap in the middle of the st)

Thanks again!
I work near the Federal Heights/Waterworld area and I wouldn't live here. I find it depressing. Some days I run to a grocery store at lunch in F.H. and the average shopper seems to be on oxygen, riding a geezer scooter, looking haggard and down on their luck. OK, that's a little harsh, but it describes the area well - aging, working class neighborhood. It's not a ghetto or horrible area, but if you're looking for fun and young, this ain't the place. Old '60s ranch houses and trailer parks, ugly strip malls, just kind of depressing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 14,160,641 times
Reputation: 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I work near the Federal Heights/Waterworld area and I wouldn't live here. I find it depressing. Some days I run to a grocery store at lunch in F.H. and the average shopper seems to be on oxygen, riding a geezer scooter, looking haggard and down on their luck. OK, that's a little harsh, but it describes the area well - aging, working class neighborhood. It's not a ghetto or horrible area, but if you're looking for fun and young, this ain't the place. Old '60s ranch houses and trailer parks, ugly strip malls, just kind of depressing.
Your post would make me angry, if it was not so true. Being a geezer and disabled--I do understand your feelings from someone young and healthy.

Yes, the area around Waterworld is depressing, even I find it oppressive. It has all the worse qualities of a suburbs.

The area where I live is not so depressing. It appears that I will have to use one of those "geezer scooter", in the future--maybe I should get one now--better mileage.

But someday, believe me, you will look at the world differently and see some young person looking at you with a little disgust....someday

Livecontent
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,255 times
Reputation: 11
I'd just like to say that we recently moved into Globeville and, not only did we find a house kept in near immaculate condition, but we have an amazing view of the skyline. Unfortunately, thanks to I-25, we don't have a view of the mountains at all.

I'd like to counter the post that said there will probably be no change to the sad state that Globeville has been in with the fact that we've seen a huge amount of changes in the community since we moved in. The civic association is one of the most hard working in all of Denver and changes are being made on an ongoing basis. We're definitely not free from our troubles but they aren't nearly what (we've heard) they once were.

I wouldn't toss it out of the pile of possibilities yet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Weld County
58 posts, read 358,180 times
Reputation: 36
AAAHHHH, I sure miss the Globeville Inn.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,460 times
Reputation: 10
Wink wedding reception

livecontent, you seem to know a lot about the area. Any nice, inexpensive place for a wedding reception? 150 people?


Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is interesting that tfox mentioned Inspiration Point Park in Denver. Most people do not even know it exist. It is one of the neat little parks in Denver. It is just west of Sheridan South of 50th, across from Willis Case Golf Course. Just at the foot of this hill is the Campfire's Girls camp--I do not know if it is still operational. It has a nice few of some areas of the northwest suburbs. There are just a few homes on this same hill just north of the park. I go there occassionally to sit and look; I used to bike to there but today I cannot. To me it reminds me of the "lover's lane" overlook where you would take your girl.

The whole area in this Northwest Section of Denver and the immediate suburbs has such a history. These parks were developed in the early part of the 20th Century as a good day trip from Denver and where on the streetcar lines. We have Berkeley Lake, Rocky Mountain Lake. There is Lake Rhoda, inside Lakeside Amusement Park which is a relic from an earlier age of entertainment. Just south of this area, we have Sloan's Lake which once had a beach. It is so nice to see the new interest in this area. I think it will become of the most desirable area of Denver.

Tfox is correct on the description of Adams county, just Northwest of Denver. However, it does have some interesting sites. There is Regis College which sits actually in Denver right on the border.

Going North on Tennyson, from West 46th you will be on the east side of Berkeley Lake Park. If you go under the highway, you will discover the most beautiful range of homes on the hills, to the east of Tennyson, across from Willis Case Golf Course, which surrounds the Shriners Temple on West 50th. You will get a nice view over the western area on this area of Tennyson.

Going up on Tennyson past 52nd, the denver boundary you will run into some homes that are a little frayed and some businesses. You will go over Clear Creek and it has biking and hiking trails along side; it goes west to the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt and has paved paths off to Ralston Creek in Arvada and it goes east a very long distance to the Northeast through many areas of Adams County and meets the Platt River Greenway. However, you will also pass a wildlife preserve, a big area of lakes formed from gravel mining that is going to be coverted into a regional park by Highland's Hills Recreation District. This abuts the preserve to the south. Just north of this area is Baker's Reservoir, owned by the City of Westminster with development trails.

Going North on Lowell, you will pass Rocky Mountain Lake on the east and then you will be on the west side of Regis University in the Regis neighborhood of Denver. Going further north you will come into some agricultural land and greenhouses; they sell nice produce during the summer. You will also pass the eastern side of Baker's Reservoir.

The area that is problematic is more north on Federal, going north of I-70. There is many businesses that need some improvement. However, there will be a rail stop on Gold Commuter Line in this area and it will encourage much improvement. Also, in this area is the Marycrest convent. They used to have a high school there but now it has many residential homes for the elderly and the handicapped; it is nicely developed.

I live near here in Arvada and that is why I am very descriptive of the area. I have seen it is rapidly changing with better development but It still maintains some of the identities of a rural area, some small truck farms and with huge parks and lakes. It is worth a trip to check it out.

Livecontent
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 01:28 AM
 
119 posts, read 428,433 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiscubed View Post
I'd just like to say that we recently moved into Globeville and, not only did we find a house kept in near immaculate condition, but we have an amazing view of the skyline. Unfortunately, thanks to I-25, we don't have a view of the mountains at all.

I'd like to counter the post that said there will probably be no change to the sad state that Globeville has been in with the fact that we've seen a huge amount of changes in the community since we moved in. The civic association is one of the most hard working in all of Denver and changes are being made on an ongoing basis. We're definitely not free from our troubles but they aren't nearly what (we've heard) they once were.

I wouldn't toss it out of the pile of possibilities yet.
Globeville certainly has a bad reputation. I live in Berkeley and have to drive up to Thornton, during rush hour, a couple of times a week. I take Washington Street north and drive through Globeville instead of dealing with I-25. It is a neighborhood that is much rougher around the edges than on the side streets. There are some sketchy looking bars, liquor stores, etc but there are some nice parks, playgrounds and most of the homes are well kept. I definitely prefer my neighborhood but Globeville doesn't seem nearly as bad as its reputation would indicate.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top