Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM

40 posts, read 76,341 times

Advertisements

Well, just last Sunday, I got back from helping my long-time friend move to Denver (we are/were life-long Metro-Detroit/Ann Arbor Michigan-area residents), and the week I spent in the city was great! - to all the Denver-dwelling-denizens on this board, I'd like to add to the chorus of those complimenting you on what a great town you have!

My friend settled on 14th street in the Capital Hill area, around 8 blocks east of the Capital Building, within walking distance to about everything. I have to say that every day there, I had a great time - the town has a lot of good food, great nightlife, Arts, culture, and counterculture, and beautiful city parks (Cheesman & City Park were a few of such parks I walked to). The downtown area seems very vibrant and active, people are friendly, and one gets the feeling of a city going somewhere good overall. I immediately felt welcome, and the town seemed full of progressive and intelligent people....my kind of town!

One thing that struck me, was how beautiful the old houses & apartments were in a lot of the neighborhoods. There seem to be endless blocks of gorgeous Victorian to 1920's houses & apartment buildings, and most are really amazing in terms of how well people have kept them up. Many cities have some structures like this, but I've never heard it mentioned before how MANY such houses/buildings of this type that Denver has - again, it's seemingly endless.

As an added bonus, one day after moving furniture, my friend & I drove a while westward on I-70, across the Continental Divide and stopped in Silverthorne to eat, and take in the beautiful scenery. The mountains along the way are utterly gorgeous - I had been through these as a teenager, and had forgotten how beautiful they were.

Anyway, thanks Denver for the great time, and hope to see ya soon!
Your new fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Great description of Denver from an outsider's eye. "To see ourselves as others see us".

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Smile Agreed

reverberation, I echo your satisfaction with Denver. I moved from Metro Detroit to Denver literally three days ago. I just finished my bachelor's at U of M, and I was not having much success with the job hunt back home. So, I threw caution to the wind and made the move out here. This city is absolutely wonderful. The climate is great, the people are nice, and the atmosphere/landscape is spectacular. There is so much to do out here. I look forward to experiencing more of it over the summer.

Hope to see you out here soon.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Reverberation,

Very nice of you to help your friend move.
Are you planning on moving here also?

I'm glad you had such a good time. Sounds like your friend is in a great neighborhood!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM

39 posts, read 231,540 times
Just moved here yesterday and am originally from Detroit too. I love it! The only problem is the Detroit Red Wings aren't here!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM

SheridanL,

Well, I'd love to move there, as I absolutely felt right at home with the city - But I'm afraid I'm stuck around here a little longer still. However, with any luck, it wont be forever though, and before I know it, I'll be back in Denver!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

mcb1025 and Indigoblue92 - have you run into a lot of ex-Michigan people out there? I've heard from friends that have moved there, that a lot of ex-Metro-Detroit/Ann Arbor folks can be found in the Denver-Boulder area....not surprised, as the exodus out of here in recent years has really ballooned.

Every person I know that left here for Denver seems to feel it's the best move they ever made - and many of them lived other places besides just southeastern Michigan.

One thing I don't get is the people who complain about the weather there....this must all be relative (like many other things), as I've been talking to people who have moved from here to there, as well as reading about the varying temps, and it doesn't seem bad at all from what I've seen. Michigan is worse in the winter in terms of being cold, and while not as hot in the summer, it's far worse here in Michigan anyway because of the horrible humidity (it was 89% just yesterday where I am). Perhaps the people complaining are coming from San Diego or something, but frankly, I'd rather have a bit of variety than that anyway....geesh, is it really that hard for some people to just put a jacket, hat, and gloves on?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue92 View Post
Just moved here yesterday and am originally from Detroit too. I love it! The only problem is the Detroit Red Wings aren't here!!!
Their fans are though. Attend any Avs v. Red Wings game and half of the Pepsi Center is a disgusting sea of red. Michigan must be bleeding residents more than just about any other state besides California. Gotta hand it to 'em though this year. They were phenominal. Made our tired old Avs look awful.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM

82 posts, read 300,639 times
Glad you had a good time!

There are lots of Michiganders out here. Luckily for me, a good portion of them are Spartans!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM

When out there, I took a lot of pictures, and I have to say that I cannot imagine life in Denver ever seeming too miserable when you have the stunning & ominous beauty of this beginning just 20 minutes away....
Attached Thumbnails
From Michigan to Denver-100_0836a.jpg   From Michigan to Denver-100_0790ab2.jpg   From Michigan to Denver-100_0816a.jpg   From Michigan to Denver-100_0868a.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver