Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 PM

22 posts, read 53,243 times

Advertisements

a forum where I can talk to other students? Or ANY info. about the school (mainly, do people like going there?)? Where do students live? What do they do for fun? What's a great place to eat at? And do most people live with roomies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
I got my Masters from UC-D a long time ago, so not much help for current conditions. But I do know that the Auraria campus, which includes UC-D and Metro, has some new student housing, and several light rail stops serve the campus. I suggest contacting the school directly about student housing.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,195 times
I just graduated from UCD in May, though your question is overly vague. It is primarily a commuter college, though they did build a few student apartment buildings that are nice but quite expensive. Myself and everyone I knew lived off campus either in an apartment or with family. Some live with roommates, but I wouldn't say most. Since it is still primarily a commuter campus, it doesn't always fit the stereotypical image of traditional college life.

I liked going there, though I don't remember many people openly stating it... I did hear a rather large number of people say that it is much better than CSU, as there seem to be a large number of CSU transfers. Other than that it's hard to say.

Denver is a major metropolitan area. People do all different things for fun, and eat at all different places. Since Auraria is downtown, it is withing walking distance of far too many things to name. Lodo is pretty popular, particularly with some of the more well off students, though $5 beers aren't really my thing and I can't recommend any particular place.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Buffs82 is correct, your question is vague. I'd suggest using the indexes on these forums to reseach; then you may know what questions to ask.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:47 AM

136 posts, read 461,033 times
CU Denver is on the Auraria Campus. Auraria includes CU denver, Metro State, and Comm. College of Denver. Its actually the largest campus in the state in terms of student population. It's in the heart of downtown, and served by lightrail (which is good because parking sucks). However Auraria really feels like a giant commuter campus, as most people commute in from all over the city. In terms of academics, CU denver is a good school, i took an econometrics class there last summer (I graduated from CSU though) . CU denver facilities are nice, professors are high caliber, the student body has a large international presence as well, but it's definetly more of a study, go to class, then leave atmosphere. It really lacks any kind of active college scene. There is some limited student based housing a couple miles from campus avaliable, but as said before it's pretty expensive.

Overall, if you're persuing a masters or are favorable to a less traditional or maybe part time college expirience, not to mention having the advantage of available jobs and internship in the immediate area, then CU denver or Metro state are a solid choice. However, if you're looking for the typical college town, sports,greek, clubs, active campus atmosphere support go to CSU or CU Boulder instead. You will not find typical campus life at Auraria.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for all that, sorry about being so vague. Here's a snapshot of me:
I'm 24, will be finishing a bachelors, and I have a dog that's 60 lbs. I've been searching CraigsList like a maniac, but it's still difficult because I live in New Mexico and can't just drive up on a whim to check out Denver or places to live. I asked a couple people who WORK at UCD and they are saying Capitol Hill and Washington Park.
Anyone know anything of these areas?
As for the school, I'm not really good with traditional universities anyway (as in, I'm not going to go Greek or participate in many clubs because I'll be working), and $5 beers aren't my thing, either. I'd much prefer parks (ones that dogs can come to), safe areas, a place to park my car, and maybe some grocers I can walk to. Oh, and I'm a vegetarian, so if anyone knows anything about vegetarian shops or restaurants I can check out, please feel free to let me know.
Thanks!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Wash Park may be a bit pricey for you, but there are some deals even there if you look. The area around the University of Denver is not far from Auraria and has some lower rents. The dog may be a hard sell. Get a letter of reference from a former landlord about what a good dog s/he is.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,195 times
I'm a vegetarian as well, so that one I can help with. The overall Veg. selection in Denver is ok, but certainly not spectacular. As far as reasonably close to the campus and downtown, the Watercourse (WaterCourse Foods - Denver's Premier Vegetarian Restaurant) is by far the best. It is about 15 blocks or so east of campus. It is 100% vegetarian, affordable, and amazingly good. I've taken many meat eaters there, and all have enjoyed it. Another option would be the Mercury Cafe (Mercury Cafe | 2199 California | 303-294-9258) which is about the same distance away from campus to the northeast. It's a little more expensive, but has a large vegetarian/vegan selection.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The dog may be a hard sell. Get a letter of reference from a former landlord about what a good dog s/he is.
The only "landlords" that know how well behaved my dog is are members of my family. Do you think getting the professional trainer who taught the classes I took him to would work? I mean, if she wrote a recommendation?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 AM

Thanks so much, buffs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver